Gorgeous Guys, Beautiful Books, and Occasional Vampires discussion

Book Discussions > Harry Potter Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I haven't read this

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments Wait, you've never read Harry Potter? Not trying to be rude, but how is that even possible? Were your parents against it or something?

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney actually, no offense or anything and I defiantly don't want to start a big fight or even a 'creative discussion' but I'M against it.

Sorry lol, I just don't like Hairy and I don't care about the boooks too much. I read most of the first and didn't get into it. Then I watched every movie from 1st- whatever number Goblet of Fire is. I didn't love them and I always felt like it got too much attention.

I had to grow up with two friedns who didn't include me often because all they would talk about was Harry Potter. But they were still my bffs. So I learned to kind of resent the series. Then I read Twilight and I kind feel like Steaphnie and Rowling are compition. Of course that made me like the series even less.

Again Sorry, :)

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments hmm. I don't think I've ever met someone who just didn't like Harry. Of course, there are those moms that want to ban them and burn them, but a teenager against it? It's different...

I don't think you're starting a fight, I'm just surprised. I know some people don't get into it, like my brother, but it's been a huge part of my life since I was 9. It's why I got into paranormal things like ghosts and vampires. It's why I believe in some of the things I do today.

While I do understand that Rowling and Stephanie get compared, they really aren't the same. It's like comparing a George Washington biography to a Jane Austen novel. Sure, you're going to find things in common, but are they really on the same level?

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney well, I meant they are being compared and in compition for best seller. Rowling has sold sooooo many copies. And Stephanie has ALMOST sold as many. I just wish she could be more popular then Rowling because I like Twilight so much and think it deserves the popularity. Harry Potter is a clasic, everyone's read it... I know, lol. Not me! Lol, I'm just not into it. I don't hate it, but I'm not planning on reading it ever

It's really ironic though, we had to be a biography for writing class last year and the teacher had to choose which author we had to do it on. It had to be a 3 page report on childhood, adulthood, and publishing. Guess who I got.... J.K. Rowling, lol

message 6: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Huh, I know many people (mostly guys) who would totally disagree on Twilight (and the rest of the series) becoming more popular than Harry Potter LOL.

People are comparing J.K.Rowling to Stephenie Meyers? Weird.. I'd never compare the two to each other. They're not altogether that alike.. :S

I always liked the Harry Potter series.. loved them actually LOL. I have to say though.. the 7th Harry Potter book (I really can't remember what it's called) is the best, in my opinion.

I was so scared to read it, I tried my best to make it last cause I just didnt' want to finish it and find out that something bad happens to Harry and the rest. LOL

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments Really? I wouldn't say the 7th was my favorite. It was so drawn out and a little dull. The ending was great, once they got back to Hogwarts, but I didn't really like much else.

My favorite would have to be Prisoner of Azkaban because I'm in love with the Marauders (especially Sirius) because they were so brilliant and funny. I love how Sirius is so misunderstood. That's probably his alure. They're really only together in that one. In Order of the Phoenix, it's too serious of an air to really get to know them.

Does that make any sense?

message 8: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Yeah, well I really liked all of the books but I find that the seventh was the best. Hmm, I never thought of it that way.. the 7th being drawn out and dull, that is.

That makes perfect sense. Sirius was my favorite in the 3rd book. I was so upset with what happened in the Order of the Phoenix!

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (natnat1) | 11 comments I have always been a big Harry Potter fan, but the last book (Deathly Hallows) pissed me off. EVERYONE DIED!!! I mean come on, Tonks and Lupin! They just had a kid! It's like freakin Harry all over again! And the owl, why kill the owl? And one of the twins losing and ear and the other losing his life... come on!!! They were my favorite!

message 10: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Yeah, that's true. It was a really sad book, but for me, there was just so much suspense and worry that in the end Harry and Hermione wouldn't be alright.

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments Yeah! I love Fred and George! You never really knew what they were going to do! And now that Fred's gone, George will never be the same. That makes me sad. And I was upset Lupin died, but I think it's almost romantic that they died together...in a Romeo and Juliet kind of way.

message 12: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Yeah, I loved Fred and George to, they just made everything more interesting cause you never knew what they were up to. Too true, I never compared the way Lupin and Tonks died to Romeo and Juliet. That an interesting thought lol.

message 13: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (natnat1) | 11 comments But they JUST had a baby!

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments I know, and I love Teddy and Tonks, but Remus kind of lost my sympathy in that book. Remember when he tried to run away with the trio because he wasn't sure he wanted to be with Tonks anymore? Any man who walks away from his family like that...I just want to thrash him.

message 15: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (natnat1) | 11 comments Yeah I agree!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalie wrote: "I have always been a big Harry Potter fan, but the last book (Deathly Hallows) pissed me off. EVERYONE DIED!!! I mean come on, Tonks and Lupin! They just had a kid! It's like freakin Harry all over..."

ohmigosh Dobby and Moody died too!!! it was so sad :'(

message 17: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) yeah, it was really sad ! ):

message 18: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (natnat1) | 11 comments oooh! Mad face >(

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthan) HARRY POTTER IS SO VOGUE. JUST LIKE MY BESTIE, KEIRA KNIGHTLEY.

message 20: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I love this series, I still need to finish the last few books, which I hope to do this summer when I can reread the whole series.

message 21: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) which books from this series haven't you read?

message 22: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Umm I think the last two, but maybe the last three. I just never had the time to do it, but I'm going to read them all this summer hopefully.

message 23: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) oh alright. they're all pretty good :)

message 24: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Oh I'm sure that I'll like them, I've loved all the others. This was my favourite series for the longest time, I was obsessed :P

message 25: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Nice :P I love the series. It's probably the only series that I can actually reread over and over without getting sick of it :)

message 26: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I've only reread two series before and this was one of them.

message 27: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) what was the other series?

message 28: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Twilight :P

message 29: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) oh haha, :) i was only able to reread the first one and then half of new moon.. then i got bored.

message 30: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I don't even know how many times I've reread it to be honest, I read them first when they came out, before every movie so far and a few other times.

message 31: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) wow lol that's cool

message 32: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Most people don't understand how I can even reread a book cause they can't read one in the first place.

message 33: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) i like to read, but i don't like rereading. i find it to be a waste of time since there are so many books out there that i want to read, why spend time reading something i've already read. also, as soon as i start rereading a book i almost always remember every single thing that happens in the book.. so i just put the book back and start reading something else.

message 34: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I normally feel the same way about rereading things, but some times I like to. When I was little I use to reread the same story to the point that I have them memorized and could read them with out looking at the book.

message 35: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) oh man, that's intense. I dont think i've ever done that lol.

message 36: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Well I have always had a really good memory, but it was mainly that I had some stories that I really liked when I was little. And it was the same with movies, especially all the Disney movies I knew like evey line from them and every song :P

message 37: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Haha, nice :P I must say, that's pretty impressive XD.

message 38: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) ahaha Thanks :P

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not the typical Rock'n HP fan but I do like the shrunken heads. Book and movie. I laughed my butt off when I seen the third movie. Loved the shrunken head. I don't remember much of the book because I read it like 9 years ago.

message 40: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I don't remember anything about shrunken heads, but then again it has been ages since I read any of the HP books.

message 41: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) ❤ ☠ Elyssa ☠ ❤ wrote: "I'm not the typical Rock'n HP fan but I do like the shrunken heads. Book and movie. I laughed my butt off when I seen the third movie. Loved the shrunken head. I don't remember much of the book..."

I remember the shrunken heads, they were so funny! :P

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I recently read the 1st Harry Potter to my boys (I read it 9 years ago when I was pregnant). Anyway, well, I love that book. After 10 or so pages my boys were sleeping. Everynight! I took a long time to read the book because they feel asleep so quickly.

Yup, my new fav book. LOL!

message 43: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I remember reading the first book with my mom when it first came out and loved it them and still do.

message 44: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments My primary school teacher read the first Harry Potter book to us, I loved it then but I've gotten bored of them now. Not surprisingly seeing as I used to read then over and over again!

message 45: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I don't know if I could het bored with them, I love both the books and the movies and I've seen them like a hundred times.

message 46: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I get bored easily, and I like to read new books so I guess I don't have the time to go back and reread Harry Potter. I did like the books but I wasn't too keen on the movies.

message 47: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I don't reread books that often either cause there are just so many other new books to read.

message 48: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I only reread books if I really liked them or if I don't have anything else to read.

message 49: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Same, I will if I have nothing to read, but that hardly ever happens.

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments Same here. I spend way too much money buying new books all the time!

« previous 1

Gorgeous Guys, Beautiful Books, and Occasional...

unread topics | mark unread