Our Shared Shelf discussion

May/Jun 18 The Hate/Radium Girls > Impactful Quote or Scene

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Jun 23, 2018 07:18PM) (new)

Danielle (daniderp) | 3 comments Which quote or scene left you an impression (good or bad)? Did it change your perception or just simply give you heartfelt feelings?

message 2: by Pam (last edited Jun 24, 2018 04:33PM) (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
Oh goodness where to start...

The one that made a lasting impression was when Maverick pulled Starr over and had her recite the Black Panther 10 points program.

That was the "we're not in Kansas anymore" moment. Everything up to that point seemed like it could have been pulled from headlines or other inner city school dramas. But as a white person, I don't see a lot of what makes the family cope or how values may differ. Plus, the Black Panther/Black Power movement was something my family dismissed, if not outright didn't approve of and therefore not something I was cognizant about. Bearing "witness" to it was a measure of reality and historical placement that all of the other media's failed. So yeah... That scene.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 6 comments I had a few that caught my attention.
"God gave you a brain, you don't need theirs."
"Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right."
These two for me are so important when trying to find your voice. Your voice should be a reflection of your own thoughts and feelings and not somebody elses; not what you think people want to hear. The book itself from beginning to end has moments where this is the conflict of doing the right thing yet still having things go wrong and yet deciding to continue to do the right thing.