Play Book Tag discussion

Here Be Dragons (Welsh Princes, #1)
This topic is about Here Be Dragons
Archive: Other Books > Here be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7481 comments Set in the late twelfth and early thirteenth century, this is a novel centering on King John, arguably the worst British king ever, his daughter Joanna/Joan and Llewellyn Ab Iowert (anglicized spelling of LLwellyn). There is a summary, so I'll simply say that while it was well written and Penman tells you at the end which characters she made up and which ones she made guesses at, etc, I have simply read enough of this sort of family saga/political/long historical fiction type of book. If you like this sort of thing, or this is an area of history you enjoy reading novels about, then I recommend it.

Booknblues | 6893 comments I read this years ago and loved it then. I still love anything set in the middle ages and Penman does a great deal of research so appreciate her .

message 3: by Karin (last edited Jun 24, 2018 03:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 7481 comments Booknblues wrote: "I read this years ago and loved it then. I still love anything set in the middle ages and Penman does a great deal of research so appreciate her ."

I can see that people could really like this book. I actually recommended this book IRL to someone who loves this part of history as does his dad. In fact, his dad has Saxon as part of his email address--a real history buff.

Booknblues | 6893 comments All of Penman's work is good.

Karin | 7481 comments Booknblues wrote: "All of Penman's work is good."

I'm sure, and I wish I'd found her earlier when I was into this time frame of historical fiction, etc.

message 6: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8436 comments Karin wrote: "Set in the late twelfth and early thirteenth century, this is a novel centering on King John, arguably the worst British king ever, his daughter Joanna/Joan and Llewellyn Ab Iowert (anglicized spel..."

I only liked this book, but I went ahead and read the next, then ext-they do get better!