On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

The Hamlet
This topic is about The Hamlet
Group Reads: Pre-1990 > Initial Impressions: The Hamlet, by William Faulkner: July 2018

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2749 comments Mod
Comments on this board should be written with the assumption that not all readers have finished the book. Please avoid revealing any spoilers.

Despite our best efforts, we were unable to get this author to participate in a Q&A so, unfortunately, we missed out on a trifecta by that much.

message 2: by Dustincecil (new) - added it

Dustincecil | 178 comments *lights candles, and shuffles cards*
"william faulkner... come through"

lol, good one Tom.

message 3: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 4421 comments Mod
This is one of my favorite Faulkner's, and I'm going to try to make the time to re-read it, despite the lack of author participation.

Sara (phantomswife) | 1394 comments Dang, Tom. Don't you have any pull at all?

I'm with Diane on loving this one and intending to re-read it. If I want to consult the author, I will just close my eyes and conjure him up.

Janice (JG) | 136 comments I am about half way through the novel, and I am so happy with Faulkner's signature storytelling. It reminds me of Requiem for a Nun, but the telling is in the characters this time more than the buildings and the institutions.

message 6: by Doug H (new)

Doug H For those who might want to try dipping a toe in before you decide if you want to jump fully into a Faulkner tome, his Selected Short Stories is on sale today at your favorite e-book seller for $1.99. Includes Barn Burning, featuring the Snopes.

message 7: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 4421 comments Mod
That's a great deal. I already have that book, but can tell you the stories are amazing.

message 8: by Wyndy (new)

Wyndy | 241 comments Consider me a Faulkner toe-dipper. Just got this - thanks!

message 9: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 208 comments I just grabbed the deal on the Faulkner too! Thanks for the tip, Doug :)

message 10: by Franky (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Franky | 346 comments I'm looking forward to getting back to Faulkner. I have had a string of not-so-enjoyable reads in a row recently and I'm hoping The Hamlet might end the streak. I have my copy now, and I'll be starting tomorrow. I'll be sure to have my attention span focused just on the book while reading.