On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Country Dark
This topic is about Country Dark
Group Reads: Post-1990 > Final Impressions: Country Dark: July 2018

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - added it

Tom Mathews | 2812 comments Mod
Comments on this board are made with the assumption that readers have finished the book and may include spoilers.

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 2384 comments Mod
I have attached my original review that has a few articles/interviews with the author. I will be rereading.

Read my 5-star review of Country Dark by Chris Offutt
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Howard | 511 comments Laura wrote: "I have attached my original review that has a few articles/interviews with the author. I will be rereading.

Read my 5-star review of Country Dark by Chris Offutt
https://www.goodreads.com/review/..."

Thanks, Laura. I am reading the book and finished the first section this morning. I have a hard time putting it down in order to get to other things.

I also want to reread the information that you linked to.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Offutt | 33 comments When the time comes, I'm happy to answer any questions. Thank you for choosing my book. I appreciate it.

message 5: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

https://m.soundcloud.com/aspen-public...

Listened to this while having my morning coffee.

Howard | 511 comments Laura wrote: "https://m.soundcloud.com/aspen-public...

Listened to this while having my morning coffee."

Thanks, Laura. I plan to listen to this while I am having lunch.

message 7: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (last edited Jun 27, 2018 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Howard
You get to learn what his favorite word is.....any guesses? Actually 2 favs. The interview may be too detailed about book if you haven't finished, fyi.

Howard | 511 comments Laura wrote: "Howard
You get to learn what his favorite word is.....any guesses? Actually 2 favs. The interview may be too detailed about book if you haven't finished, fyi."

I just finished it this morning, while having my coffee.

I'll have to think about his favorite words. I know what mine would be, but I can't say them here.

message 9: by Howard (last edited Jun 28, 2018 03:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Howard | 511 comments Laura wrote: "Howard
You get to learn what his favorite word is.....any guesses? Actually 2 favs. The interview may be too detailed about book if you haven't finished, fyi."

Now I know what his favorite words are. And no, I couldn't have guessed in a million years.

Thanks for the link to that interview. It was outstanding. He is really willing and able to talk about his craft.

Howard | 511 comments Here is a cute story that Offutt told in one of his interviews. He named "Catcher in the Rye" as one of the books that changed his life. Here is how he was introduced to the book:

"At age twelve I asked an elderly volunteer librarian to help me find a book on baseball. She asked for specifics and I told her that my favorite player was Johnny Bench, a catcher for the Reds. She went through the card catalog, took me to the adult section, and gave me Catcher in the Rye. That night I began reading it and stayed up very late. It was a revelation to me—that a book could be written with such a personal directness."

message 11: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Howard, been stalking looking for your review. Post when you get it up.

message 12: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

That’s a funny story. The little lady did him a favor without meaning too.

Howard | 511 comments Laura wrote: "Howard, been stalking looking for your review. Post when you get it up."

Thinking about it. Trying hard to come up with a way to approach it.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Offutt | 33 comments Here's a link, Laura.

https://www.authorsroundthesouth.com/...

Cathrine ☯️  | 815 comments I've been semi-retired from sharing my thoughts on books but this one compelled me to say something. Looking forward to some discussion soon.

message 16: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Barnes | 4525 comments Mod
What a great interview. Thanks for that link, Laura. Loved his two favorite words, and his reasons. I also loved his gravelly voice.

message 17: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here is a review by Diane: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 19: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 158 comments Country Dark by Chris Offutt
★★★★

The novel is appropriately entitled since it is an excellent example of Southern Gothic or noir-fiction. The author skillfully brought to life mountain life in 1950-60s Kentucky. The taciturn protagonist is very independent and mistrustful of government intrusion into his life. An enjoyable novel which should be a classic. For my full review, click here.

Connie G (connie_g) | 526 comments This was my first Chris Offutt book, but it won't be the last. Here's my review:

message 21: by John (new) - added it

John | 539 comments Just started a few nights ago. Whew, we are off to the races. Have met the children, Tuck is now being set up to take the fall. Sparse of word but heavy in depth.
How does Hattie cope with her disappointments? How will Jo persevere? Jo has strong maternal feelings toward having her own children.
Spotted a dead snake or two. Am staying away from spoiler posts. I have big hopes for this story.

I'm 18th on the library's Varina list.

message 22: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

You won't be disappointed, John. This has been a favorite for most of us here. Never fear about Varina. The threads will still be here by the time the library comes through.

message 23: by John (new) - added it

John | 539 comments Diane, you are always such an encouragement. Everybody is. Sometimes I just can't keep up. I used to be able to type by touch but now I stare at the keys and still they don't do what I tell them.

LA Cantrell | 1324 comments John wrote: "Diane, you are always such an encouragement. Everybody is. Sometimes I just can't keep up. I used to be able to type by touch but now I stare at the keys and still they don't do what I tell them."

John, I dictate to Siri and even she doesn't type what I tell her. She absolutely mangles the interpretation of a Southern accent. I once texted an invitation to a new neighbor - asked if she and her husband were interested in our neighborhood couples' book club.

Except Siri thinks 'book' sounds exactly like "f&&k." True story.

If possible, you might go into this book with neutral expectations. Mine were pretty high, and the reason I've withheld comments in here is that the book ultimately didn't really thrill me.
Expectations are a curse for anything I'm about to read - may your experience be terrific!

message 25: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

John, I have discovered the secret to happiness. NO EXPECTATIONS . ...EVER! That way you are happy with whatever happens. I did love this book, and gave it 5 stars. That goes for everything in life, not just books.
Wow, your neighborhood bookclub really swings!

LA Cantrell | 1324 comments 😂 Siri thinks so!

message 28: by Tina (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina  | 488 comments I have not written my review yet, but Country Dark far exceeded my expectations. Tucker was a man of his word. An unforgettable character both kind and capable of violence when he or his family were threatened.

message 29: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

I knew you would love this Tina. With just a few exceptions, most reviews are 4's and 5's. Tucker is a man we would all love to have on our side. I will definitely re-read this one.