On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

The Fighter
This topic is about The Fighter
Group Reads: Moderator's Choice > Initial Impressions: The Fighter: July 2018

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 2746 comments Mod
Comments on this board should be written with the assumption that not all readers have finished the book. Please avoid revealing any spoilers.

FYI: I just finished reading this book yesterday and really enjoyed it. You are in for a real treat.

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 2276 comments Mod
I loved this one so much I am doing a reread in July.

Tina  | 488 comments I can’t wait to read this!

message 4: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Barnes | 4401 comments Mod
I read this a short time ago, loved it, and can't wait for the Q and A with him. He has rapidly become one of my favorite authors.

Howard | 499 comments Diane wrote: "I read this a short time ago, loved it, and can't wait for the Q and A with him. He has rapidly become one of my favorite authors."

I second that motion.

LA Cantrell | 1324 comments This fellow’s writing grabbed me several years ago the moment some bad guy crawled through remnants of shattered church windows, grabbing holy shards from the dirt. And wondering how he went wrong.

As the title would suggest, there will be a physical fight in here, but the struggle our man Jack has goes way beyond the mortal.

Y’all gonna love it!

Connie G (connie_g) | 503 comments Michael Farris Smith writes so well about flawed, complex characters who need a break. Jack's in a state of despair, and the reader feels like they have traveled the road with him to this desperate point in his life. Great book!

Connie G (connie_g) | 503 comments I enjoyed this interview with MFS in Deep South Magazine:

http://deepsouthmag.com/2018/03/22/ta...

LA Cantrell | 1324 comments So, did anybody get to the part yet where the traveling carnival shows up? Maybe I've just got the weirds for this kind of thing, but between Something Wicked This Way Comes (saw it as an after school special as a kid), American Horror Story, and the awesome old novel (and movie) Nightmare Alley, there is just something dark and delicious about adding this aspect to the story.

When the carnies show up, you know the plot is going to thicken.

message 10: by Erika (new)

Erika B | 14 comments is it took late to start the group read?

message 11: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

No we are reading it for the month of July and the author is answering our questions. It’s a very quick read so join in.

Tina  | 488 comments LeAnne, the rundown carnival and shady workers were perfect for this book.

LA Cantrell | 1324 comments Erika wrote: "is it took late to start the group read?"

Erika, hop in! The book is short and a fast read, plus even if you chime in after August 1st, you know we will all still be wanting to get your insights and yak about it.

message 14: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hey Trail members....don’t forget we have Michael Farris Smith answering questions for the month of July so start firing away. We are down to our last week.

Candi (candih) | 208 comments My copy finally came in at the library and I just started reading last night. My first Michael Farris Smith novel and I think he is going to have a new fan :)

message 16: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Barnes | 4401 comments Mod
Like potato chips, Candi. You can't read just one.

Candi (candih) | 208 comments Diane wrote: "Like potato chips, Candi. You can't read just one."

I believe it, Diane! :)