a true crime book club. discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel (gingergonzoreads) | 652 comments Mod
I’ve actually already started this book because it’s so long and I can be a slow reader.

What do we think? Discuss!

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy1118) | 5 comments Im about 10% into it. I like it so far. Not sure how the characters are all going to come together yet.

message 3: by Mel (new)

I’m at page 279 and I’m totally obsessed. I love the Mafia genre — fiction and otherwise. This is TOTALLY my world. I may even read the whole series! ❤️

message 4: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments I can't wait to start! Do we get two or three weeks to read this one ?

message 5: by Mel (new)

2 weeks which is why I started a week early since it’s a long one. I’ll message Peter and see if he’d be willing to extend it to 3 weeks.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I'm kind of nervous to start.

I've always considered Jackie Collins to be "mom" books, so it's kind of embarrassing to be reading this.

What if I like it, and I morph into a lady in big jeans & a sporty, frosted haircut who garnishes meatloaf while watching The View?

I paid $4 for this book though. And $6 for Lucky. I refuse to back out now.

Maybe I'll be a cool grandma instead of a basic mom. Fingers crossed.

message 7: by Mel (new)

Lol! Jackie Collins is incredible so far. This is my first book of here and I love it. She’s got the NY slang down.

message 8: by Love Lei (new)

Love Lei Xo | 13 comments "Sporty frosted a haircut garnishing meatloaf well watching The View."
ROFLMFAO!!! 😂😂😂
I'm half way threw Chances (page 379) and it's pretty good thus far! Lots of characters, but very interested in how they all come together.

message 9: by Michelle (last edited Jun 25, 2018 06:23PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) Okay, never mind.

I read 20 pages and realized real quick that I won't be able to sit through 800+ pages of good-looking, soap opera people having sex.

Too bad. I wish I would like it because it strikes me as very 80's. Very Dynasty. Retro. People smoking on planes and everything! Just not my gig.

Maybe I'd leave my comfort zone if it was only 350 pages and not two big books in a row. But I can't marathon two sprawling epics back-to-back. No, ma'am. My TBR is too long besides.

I'll sit these next two out. Have fun, guys.

At least now I don't have to worry about burning my fancy meatloaf though, right?

message 10: by Elizabeta (new)

Elizabeta (bettyle) | 7 comments I wasn't interested in any of the books before this one, so I am finally reading something from the book club. But I don't know what to expect, I've read recently Jackie's "Married Lovers" and it was really bad :/ But this one is really popular, hope it goes at least ok :)

message 11: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments I'm hoping it will be a fast read because I'm not finished with my current books and this is a chunker, plus there's still Lucky (500ish pages) and White Trash Zombie for July plus everything else I want to read. I feel like we need more time for the huge books in the future (though I suppose I can just miss the live shows!).

message 12: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments I do remember reading one of her books in college (I think Lovers and Players) and liking it well enough. So it will be interesting!

message 13: by Mel (new)

Elizabeta wrote: "I wasn't interested in any of the books before this one, so I am finally reading something from the book club. But I don't know what to expect, I've read recently Jackie's "Married Lovers" and it w..."

If you like Boardwalk Empire, you'll like this. It's glorious!

message 14: by Mel (new)

J.N. wrote: "I'm hoping it will be a fast read because I'm not finished with my current books and this is a chunker, plus there's still Lucky (500ish pages) and White Trash Zombie for July plus everything else ..."

Ive messaged Peter to find out his thoughts as to allowing 3 weeks for this book and for Lucky but, he hasn't responded yet. I know he's just back from vacation so I suppose I should give him some time. ;P

message 15: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments I factored it to about 54 pages a day if i want to have it done by Sunday the 8th, but three weeks would awesome!

message 16: by Elizabeta (new)

Elizabeta (bettyle) | 7 comments Mel wrote: "Elizabeta wrote: "I wasn't interested in any of the books before this one, so I am finally reading something from the book club. But I don't know what to expect, I've read recently Jackie's "Marrie..."

Fingers crossed :D

message 17: by Elizabeta (new)

Elizabeta (bettyle) | 7 comments Vanessa wrote: "I factored it to about 54 pages a day if i want to have it done by Sunday the 8th, but three weeks would awesome!"

Agreed!

message 18: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments 3 weeks would be great.

message 19: by Elizabeta (new)

Elizabeta (bettyle) | 7 comments I'm 5% in and this is really depressing :/

message 20: by Mel (new)

Elizabeta wrote: "I'm 5% in and this is really depressing :/"

What do you find depressing about it?

message 21: by Mel (new)

Peter replied and said we are okay on the three weeks. This means that instead of starting Lucky on 7/8, we'll be starting it on 7/15. We are just waiting for him to update the Reading Schedule thread.

message 22: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments yayyyyy, thanks!!! i’m really enjoying it so far!

message 23: by Mel (new)

Vanessa wrote: "yayyyyy, thanks!!! i’m really enjoying it so far!"

:D Saaaaaaaaaaaaame. Im at the 50% mark and it just gets better and better.

message 24: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments 50 pages a day. Hope it's easy to read! The font is very tiny lol

message 25: by Elizabeta (new)

Elizabeta (bettyle) | 7 comments Mel wrote: "Elizabeta wrote: "I'm 5% in and this is really depressing :/"

What do you find depressing about it?"

I mean all that raping, I really don't like reading about it.

message 26: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments Oh my! I read 55 pages last night! She’s very problematic but it so was not boring. I wanted to read more. But sleep was calling me.

It does jump around a lot to different characters so trying to get that straight in my mind.

message 27: by Mel (new)

Mom2triplets04 wrote: "Oh my! I read 55 pages last night! She’s very problematic but it so was not boring. I wanted to read more. But sleep was calling me.

It does jump around a lot to different characters so trying to..."

The jumping around clears up pretty quickly. There IS a timeline issue though, which I found kind of confusing at first. It's starting to make sense, though.

Im LOVING all of the Mafia stuff.

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments I finally got my hands on a copy of the book, and ya'll weren't kidding when you guys asked for three weeks to read it! I'm getting started on it as soon as I finish the book I'm on now. (I'm one of those people that rarely ever reads more than one book at a time.)

message 29: by Mel (new)

Emily wrote: "I finally got my hands on a copy of the book, and ya'll weren't kidding when you guys asked for three weeks to read it! I'm getting started on it as soon as I finish the book I'm on now. (I'm one o..."

It's a long book but the chapters are pretty quick to get through. It has a bit of a slow start but once you're in the thick of it, it gets SO good.

message 30: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments Mel wrote: "Emily wrote: "I finally got my hands on a copy of the book, and ya'll weren't kidding when you guys asked for three weeks to read it! I'm getting started on it as soon as I finish the book I'm on n..."

I didn't think the first 90 pages were slow at all. It kept me reading. Normally I get bored quickly.

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments I'm only about 50 pages in, but it already seems like a good fast paced read!

message 32: by Elizabeta (new)

Elizabeta (bettyle) | 7 comments 30% in and verra interesting. So glad I started it :D

message 33: by Mel (new)

So Im on Book 2 and seeing the kids progress into young adults is a lovely perspective, also how the adult characters are as parents. I was a little annoyed at first at how some of the women characters were just pussies and not formed into actual people but, Jackie Collins surprised me in Book 2 (in a good way).

I wont say more than that but Im loving this. Def gonna read the whole series.

message 34: by Love Lei (new)

Love Lei Xo | 13 comments I officially finished Chances last night. It did take me 3 weeks to finish. Although I do consider myself a fairly quick reader. It was long winded. But good! I'm not certain I'm ready to take on another 600 pages straight off. I may read 'The Art Of Racing In The Rain' before diving into Lucky. ❤️

message 35: by Mel (new)

Love Lei wrote: "I officially finished Chances last night. It did take me 3 weeks to finish. Although I do consider myself a fairly quick reader. It was long winded. But good! I'm not certain I'm ready to take on a..."

I think I know where the Chances is going but, Im hoping it's not totally predictable.

message 36: by Love Lei (new)

Love Lei Xo | 13 comments Mel, I was actually surprised at how all the characters ended up coming together. Definitely a good read till the very end.

message 37: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments Im hooked and am gonna read the whole series too!

message 38: by Mel (new)

Vanessa, we’ll have to message back and forth after Lucky. I’m DYING to have someone to talk about this series with!

message 39: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments yes definitely!

message 40: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments I just ordered more of the series. Think 3, 4 and 5 are coming in the mail this week. I need to find a cheaper version of book 6. Barnes and noble had 3-5 at like $7.99 each

message 41: by Mel (new)

Library!

message 42: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments i just purchased books 3 thru 10 on thriftbooks for roughly $25 and free shipping!!

message 43: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Mafia usually is not my thing (hated it in Jaws) but this is pretty interesting. 195 pages in. Scribd has some of the audiobook narrated by Jackie Collins but it's not done like my copy of the book--missing the current chapters but if you want to listen to her narrate Gino and Carrie's past, it's pretty interesting. Her voice is interesting.

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments Okay, so I'm about 1/4 of the way through the book...It's addicting!

message 45: by Mel (new)

It so is!!

message 46: by Mel (new)

YOU GUYSSSSS. MARCO! :(

message 47: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments J.N. wrote: "Mafia usually is not my thing (hated it in Jaws) but this is pretty interesting. 195 pages in. Scribd has some of the audiobook narrated by Jackie Collins but it's not done like my copy of the book..."

EDIT, the chapters I thought were missing are actually in Part 2, which I kinda prefer because it's more chronological.

message 48: by Mel (new)

YOU GUYS. There might be a movie made out of this series. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 49: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Mel wrote: "YOU GUYS. There might be a movie made out of this series. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Really, that would be cool. I saw the Lace book was a show or something and added it on my Youtube. Will have to look into the movie for this though!

message 50: by Mel (new)

Universal has purchased the movie rights so nothing has been put into production yet but how freakin' cool!

There was a TV mini series that was made in 1990 but Im not sure how good or bad it was.

« previous 1