Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Auntie Poldi & the Sicilian Lions: 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano

Auntie Poldi & the Sicilian Lions, Mario Giordano

★ ★

The plot/story was a cute idea, but the narrator's voice, in the book, didn't do anything for me. Needless to say I was very disappointed.

I didn't warm up to any of the characters, they didn't feel alive... I was also confused in the beginning with Auntie Poldi's various names & nick-names.

This is a popular book, there is even a waiting list at the Library of people wanting to read it. I'd like to know what they think about it.

Synopsis:

"On her sixtieth birthday, Auntie Poldi retires to Sicily, intending to while away the rest of her days with good wine, a view of the sea, and few visitors. But Sicily isn’t quite the tranquil island she thought it would be, and something always seems to get in the way of her relaxation. When her handsome young handyman goes missing—and is discovered murdered—she can’t help but ask questions . . .

Soon there’s an investigation, a smoldering police inspector, a romantic entanglement, one false lead after another, a rooftop showdown, and finally, of course, Poldi herself, slightly tousled, but still perfectly poised.

This “masterly treat” (Times Literary Supplement) will transport you to the rocky shores of Torre Archirafi, to a Sicily full of quirky characters, scorching days, and velvety nights, alongside a protagonist who’s as fiery as the Sicilian sun."

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9348 comments It might be a popular book to many, but this is my first hearing of the title.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Amy wrote: "It might be a popular book to many, but this is my first hearing of the title."

I read a good review here, which was why I decided to read it.

I usually ignore most suggestions of: "You should read this", because I know my taste is very different than that of most of the people I'm in groups with.

I also (don't tell) have declined friendships here, based on those people urging me to read a book that is afar field from my interests, especially if they have written it themselves.

I'm like: "Why are you sending me a friend request w/ a recommendation, when it is obvious that you're not paying attention to my reading likes & habits?"

To quote Lydia Deetz: "I myself am strange and unusual"