SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The Shape of Water
This topic is about The Shape of Water
All Book Discussions > The Shape of Water (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
A discussion thread for our July - August BoM. Spoilers are permitted.

message 2: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12664 comments Mod
This wasn't a bad book, but also not a very good book either? IDK what I think of it tbh. Anyone else?

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I watched at least half of the movie but fell asleep and couldn't be bothered to watch the rest. There were a couple of things I really liked about it - Elisa's morning routine, lol, her friendship with her neighbour, the little mermaid reference, great styling and acting - but I found the plot kind of boring. A couple of people had recommended it very highly but I couldn't understand the fuss. I assume it's quite similar to the book since Del Toro is both author and director?

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
I haven't gotten very far yet but I'm pretty bored.

message 5: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12664 comments Mod
Yea the book and the movie are very similar. Also I think it supposed to be a romance? but it fails horribly in that department.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Don't Elisa and the merman thingy become a couple?

message 7: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12664 comments Mod
They do. But what they see in each other I have no idea. She feeds him eggs and he makes pretty lights...

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith LOL!

I think it had something to do with them both being outcasts in a cruel world and showing each other kindness and friendship. There are quite a few marginalised characters - a gay man, a black woman, a Russian spy who also happens to be a scientist with more of a moral compass than those around him.

Also, isn't she a mermaid? Or it turns out that she has gills and can live underwater? So they're sort of the same species ...

And she's a twist on the classic Little Mermaid fairy tale where she gives up her voice to live on land, except in this case there was never any prince there and she ends up going back to the ocean (I'm guessing).

message 9: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12664 comments Mod
Honestly you are making it sound a lot more interesting!

I just felt the book, and the movie lacked something.

Oh and the one thing the book had going for it, was strickland's wife's story. How she breaks away from her husband to become her own woman with her own life. They completely left her our of the movie.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I agree that it was lacking something. Not sure what. I appreciate the idea of it and the details, but the actual thing was pretty boring.

I've found that Del Toro's films are generally a bit lacklustre for me. The only thing I really liked was Pan's Labyrinth, but I only watched it once. Mimic, Pacific Rim, Hellboy and Crimson Peak were all just okay. I hated The Strain.

message 11: by Lauren (last edited Aug 06, 2018 04:46AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Oh and the one thing the book had going for it, was strickland's wife's story. How she breaks away from her husband to become her own woman with her own life. They completely left her our of the movie. "

Too many characters maybe?

One thing that did creep me out in the movie was the way Strickland covers his wife's mouth while they're having sex and he's attracted to Elisa specifically because she's mute. That was fucked up.

message 12: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12664 comments Mod
Yea it is really screwed up. In the book he kept thinking about Elisa and how she was perfect because she couldn't speak back. And then their son was torturing lizards etc. and he was encouraging him to be a misogynist.