Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > DECIDED. 12 book bundle, not book #12

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 851 comments looking at it right now

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 851 comments i can't find any record of that ISBN - so i'm kind of stuck right now

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45439 comments Mod
Bundles may be assigned identifying numbers, but they are not usually real ISBNs. Bundles are not anthologies, but just separate books being sold together as a deal. Not republished in a new grouping.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Having now had a chance to look at the record in more detail, it's not a bundle. Bundles were not a thing in 1986, and the bookcity link does not mean what you seem to think it does. (Omnibus editions did exist in 1986, but a 12-volume one is exceedingly unlikely.) Bundles are usually of unrelated ebooks.

It is far more likely that this was a planned book #12, or some other book. There is not enough information available to make any changes to the book record.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

None of the series elements are numbered. (That is, they may have a number as part of their title, but the series is unnumbered.)

message 6: by Scott (last edited Jun 26, 2018 02:57PM) (new)

Scott | 24964 comments The Internet Speculative Fiction Database also only lists 10 numbered volumes, then Final and the Best of.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott | 24964 comments Too bad Charlie's own site appears to be down.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It certainly can be removed from the series page.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott | 24964 comments Ok, done.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Neither random bookseller sites nor ISFDB can be used to prove book provenance. Nor were they.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott | 24964 comments It just occurred to me to check my copy of Scream Quietly: The Best of Charles L. Grant, an extensive collection of Grant's short stories as I seemed to recall a list of works. And so there is. It, too, lists only ten numbered volumes plus the Final and Best of.