Flint Public Library Reads! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
18 views
What are you Reading? > Summer Reading 2018!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Flint (new)

Flint Public | 40 comments Mod
Let us know what you're reading this summer! We would love to know! Let's get the discussion started :)


message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane M. | 14 comments I just finished a biography called "The Daughters of the Winter Queen" about Queen Elizabeth of Bohemia and her children. Now I am reading a science fiction book called "Smoke and Mirrors" by Jane Lindskold. I enjoy lighter reading during the summer, usually.


message 3: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie | 1 comments I am reading the latest book in the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley, "The Grave's a Fine and Private Place". I really enjoy this series.


message 4: by Flint (new)

Flint Public | 40 comments Mod
Jacquie wrote: "I am reading the latest book in the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley, "The Grave's a Fine and Private Place". I really enjoy this series."

Several Flint Public librarians are reading the Flavia de Luce series! Very clever books. And Flavia is such a precocious, endearing character.


message 5: by Flint (new)

Flint Public | 40 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "I just finished a biography called "The Daughters of the Winter Queen" about Queen Elizabeth of Bohemia and her children. Now I am reading a science fiction book called "Smoke and Mirrors" by Jane ..."

Thanks for your input, Diane! You have to let us know if you liked "Smoke and Mirror"!


message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 5 comments Reading 'What the Eyes don't see' by Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha. Fantastic book, part biography and part an behind the headlines look at the Flint water crisis.


message 7: by Smootchez (new)

Smootchez | 1 comments I started reading “August Snow”. It’s part of the 2018 Michigan Notable Books.


message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracencolor) | 1 comments Just finished "Neighborly" by Ellie Monago and started "The Great Marsh King" by Karen Dionne, from the Michigan Notable Book list :)


message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael | 5 comments August Snow was a great book, it could easily be the first in a series. Well written and keeps your attention.


message 10: by Lester (new)

Lester Acevedo | 4 comments I also read and really enjoyed August Snow. I too see it as a beginning of a series! a good read!

the Marsh King's Daughter was another good read and surprisingly a easy read for me...a bit of blood scenes...but most was the narrative of her life and childhood.


message 11: by Lester (new)

Lester Acevedo | 4 comments Love this series! Love Flavia! always waiting the for next in this series!


Flint wrote: "Jacquie wrote: "I am reading the latest book in the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley, "The Grave's a Fine and Private Place". I really enjoy this series."

Several Flint Public librarians are ..."



message 12: by Lester (new)

Lester Acevedo | 4 comments So far so good! even in print, through her writing, you can feel the moral strength and care that Dr. Mona brings to her patients and to her medical practice!

Michael wrote: "Reading 'What the Eyes don't see' by Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha. Fantastic book, part biography and part an behind the headlines look at the Flint water crisis."


message 13: by Flint (new)

Flint Public | 40 comments Mod
Tracey wrote: "Just finished "Neighborly" by Ellie Monago and started "The Great Marsh King" by Karen Dionne, from the Michigan Notable Book list :)"

So many Flint Public Library patrons are reading the Marsh King's Daughter. Please let us know what you think of it!

Have you read any other books from the Michigan Notable Book list? I hear "August Snow" is very good as well.


message 14: by Flint (new)

Flint Public | 40 comments Mod
Smootchez wrote: "I started reading “August Snow”. It’s part of the 2018 Michigan Notable Books."

We've heard good things about "August Snow"! Let us know what you think when you are finished.

Have you read any other Michigan Notable Books that you would recommend?


message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann | 12 comments I'm reading "The Death of Mrs. Westaway" by Ruth Ware. This is the perfect summer read! It's a gripping thriller that you don't want to put down. Hal inherits a vast fortune from her grandmother but is this woman really her grandmother? Hal doesn't think so!


message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet Cybulski (jcyb) | 5 comments Thanks everyone for all the ideas for books to read! I've recently read Little Fires Everywhere by Ng and highly recommend it. I also read Tangerine by Christine Mangan with reservations about recommending. I did like the setting of Tangiers, Morocco, but the idea of someone being so obsessed was off-putting for me. If you like a little suspense, two dysfunctional people and a great setting, this is for you.


message 17: by Janet (new)

Janet O'Keefe | 1 comments Ann wrote: "I'm reading "The Death of Mrs. Westaway" by Ruth Ware. This is the perfect summer read! It's a gripping thriller that you don't want to put down. Hal inherits a vast fortune from her grandmother bu..."

I heard about that book on the radio a few weeks ago. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to pick it up.

I'm reading City of Brass, a fantasy novel set in Egypt in the Napoleonic era. It was recommended for fans of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, which I am. I only started yesterday, but so far I'm enjoying it. I hope to get really stuck in over the weekend.


message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann | 12 comments Janet wrote: "Thanks everyone for all the ideas for books to read! I've recently read Little Fires Everywhere by Ng and highly recommend it. I also read Tangerine by Christine Mangan with reservations about reco..."

Thanks for your input, Janet! Fiction Only Book Club will be reading "Little Fires Everywhere" for our October meeting. I'm looking forward to reading and discussing the book.

"Tangerine" has sparked a lot of interest! From what I've read, I think it would be the perfect summer read: suspenseful, foreboding, tense, and searing! Do you agree with those descriptive words? And it has already been optioned for a movie starring George Clooney and Scarlet Johansson.


message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin (cutierin) | 4 comments Janet wrote: "Thanks everyone for all the ideas for books to read! I've recently read Little Fires Everywhere by Ng and highly recommend it. I also read Tangerine by Christine Mangan with reservations about reco..."

I'll have to check that out, I really enjoyed her debut, Everything I Never Told You.


message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane M. | 14 comments I just got The Burning Maze. Book three of Rick Riordan's The Trials of Apollo series. My nephew started me reading Rick Riordan's books years ago. They are children's books but good for adults too. Especially for light summer reading. I am enjoying it so far.


message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Foster | 1 comments I teach middle school so I read a lot of YA fiction. I just finished "Dumplin" by Julie Murphy and have checked out the sequel, "Puddin".
If you're looking for a sci-fi-ish series, "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor is amazing. It's also YA but SO good.


message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin (cutierin) | 4 comments Hi Sarah! As the Teen Librarian, I mainly read YA. I loved Dumplin' and Puddin'. In the last few months, I have also enjoyed The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo, sequel to Simon and the Homo Sapiens Agenda, Leah On the Offbeat by Becky Albetali, Tge Belles by Dhonille Clayton, Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman, pretty much anything by Jason Reynolds, When the Night Sings by Vesper Stamper and The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R.Pan.


message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie Zdunczyk (k8rz) | 1 comments Just started reading I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga


message 24: by Flint (new)

Flint Public | 40 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "Just started reading I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga"

Hi Katie,
Thanks for sharing? How is the book? Let us know!


message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane M. | 14 comments I just finished reading The Queen's Vow, by C.W. Gortner. It is a novel about Queen Isabella of Spain. I found it to be too much of a whitewash. It tried to paint Queen Isabella as being against Torquemada and the Spanish Inquisition when historically, she supported it. Interesting story, though, and I learned some facts that I didn't know.


message 26: by Karol (new)

Karol | 2 comments Flint wrote: "Let us know what you're reading this summer! We would love to know! Let's get the discussion started :)" I'm reading The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough


message 27: by Flint (new)

Flint Public | 40 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "I just finished reading The Queen's Vow, by C.W. Gortner. It is a novel about Queen Isabella of Spain. I found it to be too much of a whitewash. It tried to paint Queen Isabella as being against To..."

Thanks for sharing, Diane!


message 28: by Flint (new)

Flint Public | 40 comments Mod
Karol wrote: "Flint wrote: "Let us know what you're reading this summer! We would love to know! Let's get the discussion started :)" I'm reading The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough"

I bet the book is fascinating! A historical event, such as the Johnstown Flood being covered by David McCullough, is sure to be interesting. Have you read "In Sunlight, in a Beautiful Garden" by Katheen Cambor? It is a fictional account of the Johnston Flood; I highly recommend it!


message 29: by Karol (new)

Karol | 2 comments Thanks, it is on my list to read. This book is very interesting. I love the way he takes the witnesses accounts into it and all the actual facts of the event. He must love doing research and has a awesome assistant. LOL


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.