YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Emmy & Oliver
This topic is about Emmy & Oliver
GROUP BUDDY READ > Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway - GBR - Starting July 1st 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85729 comments Mod

Emmy’s best friend, Oliver, reappears after being kidnapped by his father ten years ago. Emmy hopes to pick up their relationship right where it left off. Are they destined to be together? Or has fate irreparably driven them apart?

Emmy just wants to be in charge of her own life.

She wants to stay out late, surf her favorite beach—go anywhere without her parents’ relentless worrying. But Emmy’s parents can’t seem to let her grow up—not since the day Oliver disappeared.

Oliver needs a moment to figure out his heart.

He’d thought, all these years, that his dad was the good guy. He never knew that it was his father who kidnapped him and kept him on the run. Discovering it, and finding himself returned to his old hometown, all at once, has his heart racing and his thoughts swirling.

Emmy and Oliver were going to be best friends forever, or maybe even more, before their futures were ripped apart. In Emmy’s soul, despite the space and time between them, their connection has never been severed. But is their story still written in the stars? Or are their hearts like the pieces of two different puzzles—impossible to fit together?

Readers who love Sarah Dessen will tear through these pages with hearts in throats as Emmy and Oliver struggle to face the messy, confusing consequences of Oliver’s father’s crime. Full of romance, coming-of-age emotion, and heartache, these two equally compelling characters create an unforgettable story.

Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway will be our 1st GBR for July 2018.

Please read at your own pace, and hide any spoilers ☺ You are welcome to join at any time during the month ☺

Happy Reading Everybody!

Pre-Reading Questions -

Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?

Karen Barber | 11326 comments Like the sound of this. Wondering whether we’ll get views of both main characters.

Karen Barber | 11326 comments Freaked out by the opening. So calm in the way it’s narrated.

izzy  | 1293 comments I just started

izzy  | 1293 comments I'm loving this one

Agnès (margali87) I started it yesterday and I'm already almost finished.
Time flies by ;)

izzy  | 1293 comments Thoughts

Emmy is a realistic character ( i like that)
Oliver is a little weird for me (sorry)

Agnès (margali87) I understand how you feel about Oliver. But I think it's normal he feels weird. He lived with his father for ten years, thinking his mother left him. It's bound to leave scars I think.

Karen Barber | 11326 comments Ch2-that’s a pretty heavy thing to drop on someone. How do you adjust after that? It’ll be odd to read from Emmy’s view.

izzy  | 1293 comments Finally i'm done!
I liked it but i got a little tired in the middle

Like we were taken round circles with no destination

But i really enjoyed the conversations

izzy  | 1293 comments I felt he was weird because intially he didn't want to open up, he acted like everything was okay and i knew that there was going to be an outburst later in the book which happened when emmy and her parents came over for dinner

Agnès wrote: "I understand how you feel about Oliver. But I think it's normal he feels weird. He lived with his father for ten years, thinking his mother left him. It's bound to leave scars I think."

Karen Barber | 11326 comments Up to ch9. Emmy is a well-depicted character. Feels stilted,but I imagine we’ll get more details eventually.

Karen Barber | 11326 comments Up to ch28. You could see the meal outburst coming a mile off. Complex set of emotions to deal with.

Karen Barber | 11326 comments Finished. Interesting idea. Though the kidnapping was the main story it was definitely interesting to see how the other students coped with Oliver’s reappearance.

Andrea Ahn | 402 comments I just got the book! Going to start sometime this week but I thought I'd post my thoughts on it,

I'm always one for YA romance books although I now usually go through them so fast. My favorite author is Sarah Dessen so if this book compares I'm excited to try it! The reviews are also pretty good on this one, so it's a win win!

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Justice | 3 comments I listened to this book on audible and loved it. If you like this kind of book, we have the same taste in reading material. I gave it a 5 star.

Andrea Ahn | 402 comments Up to Chapter 5!

(view spoiler)

Andrea Ahn | 402 comments Chapter 21!

(view spoiler)

Andrea Ahn | 402 comments Finished!

(view spoiler)