Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Pick our Masthead; Earn Participation Points

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Anita (last edited Jun 25, 2018 07:41AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments We decided to try something new this month . . .as you know, each month, we post a new masthead photo that we think best embodies the tag. And fits the ridiculously strict constructs these photos need to follow.

This month (and possibly every month going forward), we thought we'd let you give it a try.

Email masthead photos to pbtadmins@googlegroups.com anita.pomerantz@gmail.com. I will let Nicole chime in on the tech specs as she's the only admin who is very good at actually manipulating images, but in general they need to be edited (and look good at) to 970 x 245 pixels - - which is roughly three times as long as they are high.

The administrators will pick our favorite of the ones that Goodreads will technically accept and the submitting member will receive 8 participation points. You'll know you won when you see your submission on the first of the month!

So, this month, the image needs to reflect the dystopian tag.

Please post any questions you may have below.

One submission per member please. Deadline: June 29

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin A Being fairly new to the group could you explain what is Masthead and an idea of what kind of photos you are looking for.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Robin wrote: "Being fairly new to the group could you explain what is Masthead and an idea of what kind of photos you are looking for."

Of course!

So if you go to our "home" page at the link below:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Our masthead is the big photo you see at the top the page. Right now it has a bridge morphing into ships for magical realism.

Every month, we change this photo to match the tag.

In general, we like photos that I would describe as arresting - - either beautiful or dramatic or somehow attention grabbing - - that also fit whatever our theme is that month.

I think our current masthead is a great example of the type of photo we want. Some months it is nearly impossible to find something great and other months there are so many options it is hard to decide!

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I would just add that the pics have to be fairly high resolution to look good at the pixel size Anita explained.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Do they have to be in the public domain?

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Cheryl,

To be honest, while that seems preferable to me, it can be hard to tell if an image is or isnt i the public domain. We dont charge fees or use the photo to make money in any fashion. And the most it displays is 30 days. So my feeling is not to worry about it much and of course if we were asked to take an image down, we would.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) That seems absolutely reasonable to me. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble or anything for the kind of use we'd be doing.

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Ah HA! ♥ this idea....

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6397 comments I'm very sensitive to intellectual property rights so would encourage NOT using anything that isn't in public domain, UNLESS you specifically have permission from the owner of said pic. (And give credit somehow....)

message 10: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7468 comments Bear in mind that it is far more difficult to use photos here now as search engines make it impossible to link via an image isp address.

message 11: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Karin, I am not sure what you mean.

I know at least Chrome still allows a unique address for images. If you do not use Chrome or are unsure how to get the photo link, then Anita provided our email address so you can send it as an attachment to an email as well.

BC, I too am very sensitive to IP issues, and we are not really the target of IP laws and regulations for the reasons Anita stated. We do encourage images to be in the private domain, but sometimes accept others. If it gets to become an issue, then we will definitely reassess.

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments We really don't want links please. We want files (. JPG) that can be uploaded. And we want the photo to be a surprise!

message 13: by annapi (last edited Jun 24, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Anita wrote: "We really don't want links please. We want files (. JPG) that can be uploaded. And we want the photo to be a surprise!"

Sorry about that, Anita! I deleted it.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Amazing idea. I love this group

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments For the artists of the group (not me) could they be original works?

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments No apologies necessary, annapi! I am going to let Nicole take the technical questions because she is the one who has been most successful in selecting and manipulating images so that they work!

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Another question, may we submit more the one?

message 18: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments It won’t let me mail to that address

message 19: by annapi (last edited Jun 24, 2018 10:21AM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Anita, I got this back after emailing the jpg, does this mean you did not get it? I copy/pasted the email address.

Hello annastanford@gmail.com,

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (pbtadmins) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
* The owner of the group may have removed this group.
* You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
* This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at https://groups.google.com/support/.

Thanks,

Google Groups

message 20: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9065 comments Anita, I wonder if you have to be a member of the google admin group to send to that email?

message 21: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments I... didn't know the Masthead changed haha. Neat idea!

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Omg, I just thought that email would work. Argh!!!!

So sorry!

Please just send them to me at anita.pomerantz@gmail.com.

I will change the first post as soon as I am at my computer . . .

message 23: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Great question, Jason.

One submission per person please. We may change this depending on how many people seem interested . . .but let's start off with just one.

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments AJ wrote: "It won’t let me mail to that address"

So sorry, AJ. My mistake. Please email them to me directly at anita.pomerantz@gmail.com.

message 25: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Jason wrote: "For the artists of the group (not me) could they be original works?"

Yes! We have some photographers I know, and I am sure others have an artistic bent - so absolutely!

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments **Tip**

So far everyone who has submitted an image has submitted one that Goodreads will accept. So you are all doing a lot better than I have in the past.

One thought for those who are less sure, you can create your very own private and invisible group. And then you can use that to try to upload any images to see how they will look.

To upload, click on Settings, and you'll see the opportunity to upload a masthead photo to the right of the screen.

message 27: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Hi all! So, I am typically the admin who puts up the masthead photo, with input and suggestions from the other admins, and here are some things I have found:

— the pixel size of 970x245 is a minimum requirement. But, if your photo is not that exact size then GR will automatically cut it off. I think it just takes the image from the middle of the pic, but I am not 100% sure. Sometimes it seems to have no rhyme or reason!
— If you want to customize your photo so that it is those exact dimensions and you know exactly what will be shown, feel free to do so! Here are instructions on how to do that in Photoshop: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/usi....
— Be sure your image is a jpeg. Other photo extensions like .png or .pdf will not work.
— For some of the tricker themes (recently, magical realism and dystopian are pretty straight forward) I often think of things that I associate with that timeframe. So, if it were 1920s, I would maybe search for flappers or speakeasies, and not just the year.
— If you are having trouble finding an image that is closer to the three times as wide as high GR stipulations, try throwing on the word "panoramic" or "banner" at the end of your descriptor. Sometimes, you end up with dystopian flags, but sometimes it works!
— Check your resolution. If you start with a small pic that you really like and just change the dimensions to greatly expand it, then it will not be crisp and clear.

Other general things I have noticed:
— Real life people tend to be our less compelling images. It is not a hard and fast rule, but we tend to stay away from pics of people. IF you submit a pic of people, please make sure they are actors (say, hired by shutterstock) or it is not so close that you can identify them.
— We also tend to not use images that are just words or have a lot of words in them. I can think of some exceptions, but we instead typically go for an image that represents the tag.
— Bright colors are always a plus! People who have submitted have already demonstrated that they clearly get that!

That is about all I can think of for now! I love seeing the options roll in and it definitely takes some pressure off of us :)

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Nicole R wrote: "Hi all! So, I am typically the admin who puts up the masthead photo, with input and suggestions from the other admins, and here are some things I have found:

— the pixel size of 970x245 is a minim..."

For those w/out photoshop: or if you're like me & have photoshop but loathe to use it, Windows has an easier fix:

Right click Image & choose edit
Top menu bar icons: Resize (not crop)
Choose Pixels (not ratio)
Enter pixel count
Click Save or Save As (if you want to keep the original size as well)

message 29: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Thanks so much, Nicole, for sharing those tips and tricks!

OMG, Kimberly, clearly I needed to confer with you a long time ago. Had no idea about what you just shared. Thank you!

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Anita wrote: "Thanks so much, Nicole, for sharing those tips and tricks!

OMG, Kimberly, clearly I needed to confer with you a long time ago. Had no idea about what you just shared. Thank you!"

You're welcome, I found it several years back by accident... I had to enter images online for a show, but they didn't want the full size images....

The best photo tool I have is no longer supported: Picasa by Google..... Which is why, although I have a new pc, I don't use it! I can not find an equivalent photo editing tool.

message 31: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Thank you so much for the WONDERFUL submissions we received for the masthead. We really enjoyed your choices, and all of them uploaded which was impressive. And most of you followed the directions too!

It was not an easy decision, but this month, we selected the submission from:

annapi who will receive 8 points.

All others who submitted will receive an extra participation point this month for their efforts.

We were thrilled with the results - - we had better choices than ever and everything worked technically - - so look for next month's masthead "contest" and please try again!

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6397 comments Love the new banner ... great job, annapi!

message 33: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3110 comments It's perfect for the tag. Good choice!
(but I'm going to miss the clouds and sails. )

message 34: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8427 comments Love It!

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments congratulations

message 36: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments perfect, and feeling a little too real

message 37: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1612 comments Great choice but I also miss the clouds and sails. Congratulations annapi!

message 38: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Awesome annapi.

message 39: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7468 comments Nicole R wrote: "Karin, I am not sure what you mean.

I know at least Chrome still allows a unique address for images. If you do not use Chrome or are unsure how to get the photo link, then Anita provided our emai..."

I use Chrome and have found it impossible to link photos onto pages here now the way I used to.

message 40: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7468 comments Anita wrote: "Thank you so much for the WONDERFUL submissions we received for the masthead. We really enjoyed your choices, and all of them uploaded which was impressive. And most of you followed the directions ..."

Annapi--LOVE the banner!!!

message 41: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments I agree, the banner is great!! 👏🏻

message 42: by annapi (last edited Jul 01, 2018 07:43PM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Yay, thank you! You'll just have to imagine Charlton Heston in the bottom right hand corner yelling.

message 43: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments Love the masthead, Thanks Annapi!

message 44: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Resurrecting this thread temporarily as a reminder that we would love your masthead submissions for espionage!

Deadline: July 29

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Sorry, I don't have anything like that in my files

message 46: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Kimberly wrote: "Sorry, I don't have anything like that in my files"

No worries! Thank you for thinking of us.

message 47: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Can I submit for August too, or am I ineligible because I won for July?

message 48: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments annapi wrote: "Can I submit for August too, or am I ineligible because I won for July?"

You are definitely still eligible! Please submit.

message 49: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Done, thanks!

message 50: by Robin (new)

Robin A Not sure I did it correctly but sent my entery

« previous 1 3