Space Opera Fans discussion

Reader Discussions > Junior Officer

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2646 comments Mod
Is there a better term than Junior Officer for the lower level officers on a starship? Ensign, Lieutenant j.g., possibly third mate, etc.

I’d like suggestions for good books where the main character is one of these lower level officers. Possibly fresh out of the academy, perhaps on second or third voyage.

One example is Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4) by Elizabeth Moon Once a Hero by Elizabeth Moon. Esmay is a lieutenant who was a minor but key character in the third Heris Serrano book, but this book works well as stand-alone.

message 3: by Phillip (last edited Jun 23, 2018 07:49AM) (new)

Phillip Murrell Junior officer is the preferred term in the Navy. I’m a 16-year veteran in the US Army, we use the term “company grade officer,” so if you want generals and colonels instead of admirals and commanders, this term would also work. I’ve known people in the military insulted by the terms “lower enlisted” and “lower officers.” They feel the terms are demeaning.

Ensign and Lieutenant Junior Grade are specific ranks comparable to second and first lieutenant.

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 597 comments I think Redshirts does this. The Forever War and Starship Troopers definitely focus on this.

In the Sten series the title character certainly starts off this way and sort of lives in that middle rank position for a while, but he’s sort of outside the normal chain of command, so it’s not an exact parallel.

The Destroyermen series (Into the Storm) features a number of characters who fall into that midshipman and bosun’s mate slot. I wouldn’t call them main characters, but it’s such a sprawling epic that it eventually becomes more of an ensemble piece rather than just about the command crew.

Hammer's Slammers has a number of junior officer characters who take a turn front and center.

message 5: by Chad (last edited Jun 23, 2018 04:30PM) (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 21 comments A Call to Duty Set early in the Honor Harrington universe

Into the Dark Young female midshipman in a "Man's" Navy

Junior Officer is pretty standard as Phillip said. Majors and above are Field Grade Officers

message 6: by Chad (last edited Jun 23, 2018 04:26PM) (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 21 comments A Just Determination by John Hemry (AKA Jack Campbll of the Lost Fleet Series..

this was really good

message 7: by Chad (last edited Jun 23, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 21 comments Quarter Share This has a unique voice....it is a slice of life on a merchant ship with a nice cozy feel...no battles or military but there is just something so relaxing and pleasant in the the reading

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Thanks for all the suggestions! But in Quarter Share the main character isn’t an officer. In the fourth book of that series he is fresh out of the academy, so that would count.

message 9: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 21 comments Vanguard almost fits the bill

message 10: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 21 comments Teresa wrote: "Thanks for all the suggestions! But in Quarter Share the main character isn’t an officer. In the fourth book of that series he is fresh out of the academy, so that would count."

True...but its so hard to start in the middle of the series!

message 11: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (ronnieb) | 322 comments Robert Buettner, the Orphanage , and the Overkill trilogy.

message 12: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 898 comments Mod
The Shadow of Saganami follows a group of ensigns just out of the academy.

message 13: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like this is a good choice for the Themed category.