Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Author Chat! > Hacked?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1246 comments Mod
This was sent to me by another indie- check your Createspace account.
*IBPA ALERT*

Yesterday and today, IBPA received messages from members telling us their CreateSpace account was hacked.

The first message came from Carla King of Misadventures Media who wrote those on her email list to let them know she'd received an automated message from CreateSpace that informed her that her royalty payment information was updated. She didn't make that change and, after logging into her account, discovered that an Ivan Evdokimov had updated her direct deposit info to go to his bank account. Carla immediately changed the direct deposit information back to her banking information and changed her password.

Since Carla's message, several other IBPA members, including Gail Woodard of Dudley Court Press, have come forward to say their CreateSpace banking information was changed, as well.

You can read about the issue here.
WHAT TO DO: If you have a CreateSpace account, please check to be sure your payment information is still as you'd like it. Then, change your password, making sure it is both unique (i.e., not the password you use everywhere else on the web) and long enough that it's hard to guess.

If you find you've been impacted by this hack, please let me know. I'm certain Amazon will make good on any losses due the hack, but it would be helpful to track how widespread the issue is within the IBPA community.

In partnership,

Angela Bole
Chief Executive Officer
Indpendent Book Publishers Association
angela@ibpa-online.org

About the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA)
Founded in 1983 to support independent publishers nationwide, the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) leads and serves the independent publishing community through advocacy, education, and tools for success. With over 3,000 members, IBPA is the largest publishing association in the US. Its vision is a world where every independent publisher has the tools and knowledge needed to professionally engage in all aspects of the publishing industry. For more information, visit ibpa-online.org.

Copyright © 2018 Independent Book Publishers Association, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Independent Book Publishers Association
1020 Manhattan Beach Blvd
Suite 204
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Shender | 12 comments Got this alert yesterday. Fortunately, nobody had messed with my account, but I changed my password anyway. Thanks for sharing this.

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 268 comments Thanks for the warning.

message 4: by C. (new)

C. Gold | 62 comments I got a scam call supposedly from CreateSpace about my account being messed with and to call some bogus number. Needless to say, I changed the password and made it even longer than it was before!

message 5: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) | 189 comments We received the alert about CreateSpace and immediately changed our password.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread