2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Ziggy’s 101 books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ziggy (last edited Jun 22, 2018 10:42PM) (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments Well I was going to wait until next year to join since the year is almost half over, but I figured why not join now. My goal is to read 101 books and I’m half way there. I plan to join the 3rd and 4th quarter book challenges. I’ve never done a challenge before, so I figure start small.
I have been on good reads for a while just never posted.. This has been one of my favorite groups to read and have gotten many great book tips from this group. Maybe somebody will learn about a great read from me to play it forward.

message 2: by Ziggy (last edited Jun 22, 2018 10:45PM) (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments January’s Books

1. Three to Get Deadly
2. The Dark Prophecy
3. Murder on the Ballarat Train
4. Fingersmith
5. Jane Eyre
6. Beezus and Ramona
7. The Last Painting of Sara de Vos
8. Last Bus to Wisdom
9. Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune

I read a lot in January since I tore up my knee, and could barely walk.

My favorite book of January was definitely Jane Eyre. I had never read it before being somewhat intimidated by classics. I found out that I could understand it without any issues and absolutely enjoyed it. I also like Empty Mansions, unusual for me since I’m not much of a non fiction reader, I found it fascinating and sad at the same time.

message 3: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments February’s Books

10 The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
11 The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America
12 Ramona the Pest
13 A Little Princess
14 The Martian
15 Along Came a Spider
16 Charmed Life

My two favorite books for this month was The Martian and A Little Princess. I never read A Little Princess when I was a kid and I missed out on a great book. The No. One Ladies Detective Agency was a reread for me. I’ve read several in this series before but loss track, I picked up several of them at a garage sale and decided to reread them. I have not got that far but they are waiting in my gigantic pile of books to read.

message 4: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments March’s Books

17 The Lives of Christopher Chant
18 The Namesake
19 The Grey Fairy Book
20 Indemnity Only
21 Assassin's Quest
22 Five Go Off in a Caravan
23 Ordinary Grace

I really like The Namesake, I have never read a bad book by Jhumpa Lahiri. I was also surprised by how much I liked Ordinary Grace my other favorite book from March.

message 6: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments May’s Books

36 Ship of Magic
37 The Mad Ship
38 Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
39 A Short History of Nearly Everything
40 And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer
41 Intergalactic P.S. 3: A Wrinkle in Time Story
42 Pippi in the South Seas

Favorite books for May, Ship of Magic/Mad Ship, I never read a Robin Hobb book until last year and was missing out, I have not read the third book yet, but plan to in the near future, plus the rest of her books.

message 7: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Ziggy wrote: "Well I was going to wait until next year to join since the year is almost half over, but I figured why not join now. My goal is to read 101 books and I’m half way there. I plan to join the 3rd and ..."

Welcome Ziggy! Glad you decided to join even if we're half way the year. Looks like your quite an avid reader!
Really like your set up, mentioning your favourite read of the month; will have to add some of those to my evergrowing TBR.

Hope your knee is doing better?

Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Ziggy!
Hope you enjoy your challenges and that you'll find some new gems along the way!

Happy reading!!

message 8: by Ziggy (last edited Jun 22, 2018 10:52PM) (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments Susy wrote: "Ziggy wrote: "Well I was going to wait until next year to join since the year is almost half over, but I figured why not join now. My goal is to read 101 books and I’m half way there. I plan to joi..."

Thanks for the welcome Susy. I ended up having surgery on the knee this month, on the bright side I did a lot of reading In June since I could not walk and was off from work.

message 9: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Ziggy wrote: "Susy wrote: "Ziggy wrote: "Well I was going to wait until next year to join since the year is almost half over, but I figured why not join now. My goal is to read 101 books and I’m half way there. ..."

Looking on the bright side, that’s the spirit!
Hope you feel better soon!

message 10: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments June’s Books

43. The Bookshop on the Corner
44. A Closed and Common Orbit
45. Harry Potter: A History of Magic
46. Still Life
47. The Cat Who Could Read Backwards
48. The Random House Book of Poetry for Children
49. The Ship of the Dead
50 The Travelers
51. Moon Called
52. Stoner
53. Call the Nurse: True Stories of a Country Nurse on a Scottish Isle
54. Crossing to Safety
55. The Last Days of Dogtown

Thanks to recovering from surgery I got a lot of reading time. My favorite book of the month was Crossing to Safety, I picked it randomly from my to read books, it was one of those books that have been near the bottom of my tbr list, that I ended up loving once I actually read it. Highly recommend.

message 11: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments July’s Books

56. It Ain't So Awful, Falafel
57. Lord John and the Private Matter
58. The Summer Before the War
59. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
60. Redshirts
61. Ship of Destiny
62. Cotillion
63. Four to Score
64. High Five
65. Hot Six
66. The Seven Sisters
67. Changeless
68. Five Go Off to Camp
69. Brooklyn House Magician's Manual

Well looking back, I read a lot this month. I participated and completed my first reading challenge.

Favorite Book: Harry Potter it was a reread because I got the illustrated edition. The illustrated edition is beautiful but a bit bulky to read.

message 12: by Ziggy (last edited Aug 18, 2018 12:20PM) (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments I’ve decided that it would be easier from now on to update every time I read a book instead of one month. So to catch up on August reads so far...

Books

70. For Magnus Chase: Hotel Valhalla, Guide to the Norse Worlds

71. The Uncommon Reader

72. Fifty Shades of Grey

73 Fifty Shades Darker

74. Fifty Shades Freed

75. Memoirs of a Geisha

76. Britt-Marie Was Here

77. The Miniaturist

78. The Absent One

message 13: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Ziggy wrote: "I’ve decided that it would be easier from now on to update every time I read a book instead of one month...."

Still trying to figure out the best way for me to keep track of my stats....

message 14: by Dianne (last edited Aug 19, 2018 06:06AM) (new)

Dianne (dianne1) Ziggy wrote: "I’ve decided that it would be easier from now on to update every time I read a book instead of one month. So to catch up on August reads so far...

Books

70. [book:For Magnus Chase: Hotel Valhall..."

I also update whenever I finish a book - I just edit my posts for the month. I like how you give a link for each book. Good luck - you're going to make your goal, no problem!

message 15: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments Susy and Dianne thanks for the kind comments. I’m still figuring things out on how keep track of stats but will get there. I’m surprised by how many books I’ve read this year. Of course the pile of books in my basement does seem to be shrinking.

message 16: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 79. Green Rider- read 8/24th. If it were possible I would give this book 3 1/2 stars. I will definitely continue the series.

message 17: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 80. The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern 3 stars. I read some of these books many years ago, but never this one. An enjoyable cozy mystery.

message 18: by Ziggy (last edited Aug 30, 2018 03:02AM) (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 81. The Lightning Thief

This is a reread for me. I replaced my book shelf this summer and donated many books that I know that I will never read again to the library. This is one of the series that I’m keeping. I like his writing and know when my nieces get a little older I will give them these books

message 19: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 80. A Light in the Attic - When I was a child I really was not into Shel Silverstein but my nephew loves these books.

I changed it to 80 books read to match goodreads. The Star Wars book I read this year was3 books in one. I counted it for 3 separate books originally.

message 20: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 81. Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race

4 stars I really liked this book. I sometimes find non fiction boring, but it kept my attention and made me care about the people in the book.

message 21: by Ziggy (new)

message 22: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 83. Gilded: How Newport Became America's Richest Resort

I’ve been to Newport several times in my life since I have relatives in New England which is what attracted. me to this book. I definitely have read better books. I give it 3 stars mostly because of the nostalgia of visiting the city.

message 23: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 84
Origin Dan Brown. Origin (Robert Langdon, #5) by Dan Brown

I give it 3 and half stars. I still enjoy these books but the first couple were my favorites.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) | 144 comments What has been your most surprising favorite read so far this year, Ziggy? :)

message 25: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments Tima wrote: "What has been your most surprising favorite read so far this year, Ziggy? :)"

I would have to say Crossing to Safety. I had no expectations for this book, when you read what it is about it is not particularly captivating. It could have easily lingered in the to read one day pile for years. After reading it I gave the book 5 stars. I highly recommend it.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) | 144 comments Ziggy wrote: "Tima wrote: "What has been your most surprising favorite read so far this year, Ziggy? :)"

I would have to say Crossing to Safety. I had no expectations for this book, when you read wh..."

I added it to my list to try and read! thank you for the recommendation!

message 28: by Ziggy (last edited Sep 16, 2018 02:06PM) (new)

message 29: by Ziggy (last edited Sep 19, 2018 05:53AM) (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 87.
An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth. Chris Hadfield. 4 stars very enjoyable account of being an astronaut

message 30: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 88. Lost in Petra. Melissa Boyle Mahle

3 stars Not the best book in the world but then again it’s a middle school read and I’m not the target audience. On a interesting note it does take place in Jordan and I’ve never read a book that took place in that country.

Lost in Petra by Melissa Boyle Mahle

message 32: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 90
The Storm Sister. Lucinda Riley. 3 stars

The first book in the series was better but I’m still intrigued to know the whole story, so will keep on going with the series.

The Storm Sister (The Seven Sisters #2) by Lucinda Riley

message 33: by Ziggy (last edited Sep 27, 2018 03:37AM) (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 91 Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs

Hollow City. Ransom Riggs

4 stars surprisingly I liked it better than 1st book.

message 34: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 92: Deadlock by Sara Paretsky. 3 stars

Deadlock (V.I. Warshawski, #2) by Sara Paretsky

message 35: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 93. Library of Souls. by Ransom Riggs. 4 stars

Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3) by Ransom Riggs

I’m glad I did not give up on this serious, I really enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd book compared to the first and will read the authors next book when it comes out.

message 36: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 94
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
4 stars. Fun and entertaining

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

message 39: by Ziggy (last edited Oct 08, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

message 41: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 99.
The Legend of Decimus Croome: A Halloween Carol by Kevin Purdy

4 stars. The Halloween version of my most favorite Christmas Movie.

The Legend of Decimus Croome A Halloween Carol by Kevin Purdy

message 42: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Ziggy wrote: "99.
The Legend of Decimus Croome: A Halloween Carol by Kevin Purdy

4 stars. The Halloween version of my most favorite Christmas Movie.
..."

Have it on my TBR. Hopefully I'll get to it next year!

message 43: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments Susy wrote: "Ziggy wrote: "99.

Have it..."

It is an enjoyable book aimed at kids...I will probably end up giving it to my 13 year old nephew.

message 44: by Ziggy (new)

message 46: by Ziggy (new)

message 47: by Ziggy (last edited Oct 24, 2018 04:48AM) (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 103. Death at Victoria Dock
2 stars

This is the fourth of the serious, I liked the tv show better than the books. I don’t think I will continue with these books.

Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4) by Kerry Greenwood

message 48: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments 104.
My Lady's Choosing: An Interactive Romance Novel

2 Stars.

A throwback to my childhood. It is a choose your own adventure book for adults. The stars are for nostalgia, it is not the best written book in the world.

My Lady's Choosing An Interactive Romance Novel by Kitty Curran

message 49: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Congratulations on reaching and surpassing your goal Ziggy!

message 50: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1077 comments Susy wrote: "Congratulations on reaching and surpassing your goal Ziggy!"

Thanks Suzy

« previous 1