Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Secrets of the Bastide Blanche: 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments The Secrets of the Bastide Blanche by M.L. Longworth

The Secrets of the Bastide Blanche, Longworth

★ ★

Well I really do not know, I'm torn 50-50....

This was written from 2 different points of view and takes place in Aix-en-Provence July 2010 and New York September 2010.

The former is the version w/ Antonie Verlaque, Marine Bonnet, Bruno Paulik & his family, which I always enjoy, but was not enough to save the book.

The latter is the first person account of a well known writer, with a huge secret, about what happened in his life & how it all culminated in July 2010.

I did not like September 2010's first person narration by the famous author.

Here goes: A famous Author (for me that is his name) moves into Le Bastide Blanche, which is next to the Pauliks... The Bastide has a haunting past that effects Lea, the Paulik 11 year old daughter.

The Author's past does a good job of haunting him as well; his wife a famous ceramicist, died several years before, falling off of a boat in foul weather... and the presence in the house of ghostly night-time visits & dreams in addition to the Lady in Pink portrait (which was left unresolved) lends to the mysterious history of the house.

Antoine & Marine (now married) once again join forces investigating the still open case of the death of the Author's wife.

Bruno, investigates the kidnapping of the Author's stepson (which seemed like filler & was poorly executed/thought out/written).

Marine's mother investigates, the letters & college papers of the Author's wife.

Sylvie is as inconsistent & selfish as ever.

The descriptions of the meals & wines was as wonderful as always...

What made this difficult for me to like, was that I didn't like the Author, in telling his story his arrogance was more than evident , and it was obvious that the friendship that Antoine, Marine, Bruno, Helene, & Lea bestowed upon him was unappreciated & for naught.

With the task of tying two p.o.v. together to fit one story, I think Longworth lost her usual steady flow.... Her attempt at melding the two p.o.v. to make a coherent ending was awkward and left too many things unexplained. I feel like something HUGE is missing.

I'm pretty sure I didn't like this book.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9372 comments Kimberly, you have very little luck recently! I can’t wait to see your top 10 this year. Or the first book that gets five stars. We almost should have a thread entirely dedicated to seeing you have a fabulous read! I’m watching Closely and attentively.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Amy, Two books that got 5 S★ were: "The Swans of Fifth Avenue" (May) & "Murder on Ile Sordou" (June)

"Murder in Mayfair" 4.5 ★

Three books even got 4 ★

I rarely if ever give a 5th star, unless I think I might want to read it again...

Unfortunately I'm about to pan another book, and it is currently popular, a lot of people like it, and the Library has a long waiting list for it.... "Aunt Poldi & the Lions"

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9372 comments I loved the swans of Fifth Avenue!

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Amy wrote: "I loved the swans of Fifth Avenue!"

It was wonderful, it pushed me to read "The Sisters" about Babe, Minnie & Betsey, and I have a book on Slim Kieth on reserve that I'm waiting for.

I remember seeing Truman Capote on t.v., I seriously disliked him, nasty petty little thing... but I do own a copy of "Music for Chameleons".