Sentences: Book Donations to Prison Libraries and Juvenile Detention Centers discussion

Donation Instructions > Update - Bedford Hills Correctional Facility for Women needs graphic novels, cook books, urban, paranormal, romance, foreign language, and academic books!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clinton (new)

Clinton Festa | 168 comments Mod
Bedford Hills Correctional Facility for Women needs graphic novels, cook books, urban, paranormal, romance, foreign language, and academic books!

This facility will accept soft cover, hard cover, magazines, comics, and could really benefit from your graphic novels. Some of the inmates are able to cook in the recreation area, and would appreciate your cookbooks. They also have high school and college programs, so please consider donating your academic books. Some inmates do not speak English as their native language, so books written in other languages or books that teach other languages are in need.

What not to send:
The usual stuff. Nothing that promotes racial or sexual animosity, nothing that teaches how to hurt another person, etc.

No donation form is required.

Mail donations to:
Bedford Hills Correctional Facility for Women
c/o Librarian
247 Harris Road
Bedford Hills, NY 10507

If you are in the local area and wish to drop off your donation, the address is the same.

As always, don’t forget to ask the USPS for the media rate (unless your shipment contains something with advertisements, which makes it ineligible). Thank you for donating!

(This is an updated posting from about four years ago, but the information is current and verified as of 6-22-18).

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Nealen | 3 comments I have some Great Courses CDs that I would like to donate if I found a prison system that could use them. Since you mentioned academic books, I wondered if you would be interested in some college level courses on CD. Variety of topics - literature, philosophy, history, religion, etc. Would the women there get any use from these?

message 3: by Clinton (new)

Kathy,

That's a great idea. I'm a huge fan of the Great Courses. My guess is that Bedford Hills will probably accept them, but let me check with them next week first and get back to you.

Thanks,
Clint

message 4: by Clinton (new)

Kathy wrote: "I have some Great Courses CDs that I would like to donate if I found a prison system that could use them. Since you mentioned academic books, I wondered if you would be interested in some college l..."

Kathy,

I just called Bedford Hills today and unfortunately they do not accept cds or dvds. And they're one of the most lenient in terms of donations. I really have not heard of a prison that accepts cds or dvds, however, Western State Hospital does. You can find all of our other past postings on "Donation Instructions," but you'll only see the most recent five unless you click again on it to expand. That's if you want to browse. For now, I think you're best bet is Western State, which is not a prison, because I doubt any prison will accept discs. Here's the donation information for Western State. Thanks for donating!

Western State Hospital, a psychiatric center in Lakewood, WA could use your popular YA novels (ex: Rick Riordan’s Olympians series, Lemony Snicket series), new fiction, or recently published comics and magazines.

This is the largest psychiatric facility west of the Mississippi River. It has about 900 patients. It is not a prison or JD center like we normally post on this site. However, they could use your used books, comics, and magazines!

What to send:
-New fiction is popular, with a high demand for YA novels of all kinds, particularly things like Rick Riordian’s Olympians series or Lemony Snicket books.
-Super hero comics and graphic novels, and various magazines, preferably recent (last two years)
-Soft covers only. Hardbacks are not allowed.
-CDs are welcome.

What not to send:
-The usual stuff. No racially charged material, no violently or sexually graphic material, nothing that teaches someone how to hurt someone else.
-No hardbacks.

No donation form is required.

Mail to:

Western State Hospital Library
9601 Steilacoom Blvd SW
Lakewood, WA 98498

As always, don’t forget to ask the USPS for the media rate, unless your shipment includes comics or magazines, which usually have advertisements. Any advertisements make the shipment ineligible for the media rate. Thank you for your donation!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Nealen | 3 comments Ok thank you

message 6: by Clinton (new)

I received an inquiry today, wondering if this facility is still accepting donations. Yes, they are. I just called this facility again today (5-26-21) and they are still accepting donations. Thank you!