Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Smoke and Iron (The Great Library, #4)
This topic is about Smoke and Iron
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Caine, Rachel-Smoke and Iron informal buddy read starts July 8, 2018

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Smoke and Iron by Rachel Caine.

Synopsis
To save the Great Library, the unforgettable characters from Ink and Bone, Paper and Fire, and Ash and Quill put themselves in danger in the next thrilling adventure in the New York Times bestselling series.

The opening moves of a deadly game have begun. Jess Brightwell has put himself in direct peril, with only his wits and skill to aid him in a game of cat and mouse with the Archivist Magister of the Great Library. With the world catching fire, and words printed on paper the spark that lights rebellion, it falls to smugglers, thieves, and scholars to save a library thousands of years in the making...if they can stay alive long enough to outwit their enemies.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Melindam | 3238 comments So excited about this. I bought the book yesterday, but will try to hold on until 8 July. :)

BTW, I am doing this buddy-read for myself as well as for Tower Team Cedric Diggory

Tammie | 3002 comments Melindam wrote: "So excited about this. I bought the book yesterday, but will try to hold on until 8 July. :)

BTW, I am doing this buddy-read for myself as well as for Tower Team Cedric Diggory"

I'm taking this on vaca with me...plan to start reading on the 8th...so if you want to get a bit of a head start that's fine...I'll be ready to start discussing late on the 8th.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'll be ready to go on the 8th (Team Severus Snape)!

message 7: by Melindam (last edited Jul 05, 2018 11:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melindam | 3238 comments Hey Tammie and Cathy, looking forward to discussing the book with you.

How did you like books 1-3? I loved them all. :)

I listened to Ink and Bone as an audiobook and the narrator Ben Allen was simply superb. His narration combined with the story itself just took my breath away. Unfortunately they changed the narrator, so I switched to kindle-format.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I really enjoy this series so was excited that this new one was released. I originally wanted to re-read the 1st 3 before getting to this one but don't think I'll have time. I might try to get thru 2 & 3 to refresh my memory on what happened to this point but that's only if I finish my other 2 books tonight. Haven't tried the audios but that sucks that they changed narrators!

Melindam | 3238 comments I think I may quickly skim through Book 3 before starting with this one. :)

message 10: by Tammie (last edited Jul 06, 2018 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3002 comments Melindam wrote: "I think I may quickly skim through Book 3 before starting with this one. :)"

If I can get my hands on it...I may do that too...it's been awhile
There is a BR going on for I think book 2...that might help as well

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I re-read #2 yesterday and am now almost halfway thru #3 so should be ready to go tomorrow!

Tammie | 3002 comments awesome! I'm going to start in the morning...hopefully be 1/2 done by the time my plane lands. Will be checking in within 24 hours.

message 13: by Tammie (last edited Jul 08, 2018 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3002 comments It hasn’t been a difficult read but it doesn’t feel as ‘exciting’ as previous books. I’ve moved right along though...nearly finished...hopefully tomorrow.

Thus far I like the change of style with the different POVs...it gives us even more details about the characters. I feel Khalila especially is a growing character ... I love the strong and protective relationship she has with Dario.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thru Chpt 15 -

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Tammie wrote: "It hasn’t been a difficult read but it doesn’t feel as ‘exciting’ as previous books. I’ve moved right along though...nearly finished...hopefully tomorrow.

Thus far I like the change of style with ..."

Yes so far not as action-packed but I'm sure that will come! The pieces have to fall in place first.

Melindam | 3238 comments I will only be able to start this afternoon, but can't wait. :)

Melindam | 3238 comments OK. Started, am at chapter 3. I love Rachel Caine's wriring style. I find it powerful and enticing.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thru Chpt 24 -

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Cathy M. (last edited Jul 09, 2018 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thru Chpt 26 -

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Tammie (last edited Jul 10, 2018 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3002 comments Well so much for calm...chapter 26 I think to 35...listening...we have mayhem!
(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finished! So...I've always loved this series but this one really made me angry. Again (like with A Court of Thorns and Roses), maybe I'm just hardcore PMSing so not enjoying these reads as I normally would...

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Melindam (last edited Jul 11, 2018 12:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melindam | 3238 comments I am getting on rather slowly - not because I don't like the book- but work is crazy before I can start my holidays. :(

I love how Caine is handling Khalila's character development. She is such a fantastic, strong & smart character.

I cannot help comparing her to Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter books, not because Khalila is a copy (she most certainly isn't!!!), but simply because they belong to the same archetype. :)

message 23: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Melindam wrote: "I am getting on rather slowly - not because I don't like the book- but work is crazy before I can start my holidays. :(

I love how Caine is handling Khalila's character development. She is such a ..."

I love Khalila too.

message 24: by Ora (last edited Jul 11, 2018 02:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) I just finished it. I loved it. I was hoping this would be the final book in the series so I wouldn't have to wait year to find out what happens.

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Melindam wrote: "I am getting on rather slowly - not because I don't like the book- but work is crazy before I can start my holidays. :(

I love how Caine is handling Khalila's character development. She is such a ..."

To me Khalila has grown the most in this series, especially with this installment. But that could partially be because we get some chapters in her POV. I felt like I only knew a part of her but we get to see a whole lot more now. I feel like most of the other characters have remained consistent throughout the series so we're not learning anything new about them.

Hope you're able to find the time to get back to it soon!

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Ora wrote: "I just finished it. I loved it. I was hoping this would be the final book in the series so I wouldn't have to wait year to find out what happens.
..."

I was hoping the same!

(view spoiler)

Melindam | 3238 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Melindam wrote: "I am getting on rather slowly - not because I don't like the book- but work is crazy before I can start my holidays. :(

I love how Caine is handling Khalila's character developmen..."

I have to hold on until Friday and then finally some well deserved rest. :)

I love how Khalila was given her POV in this book. :)

But I actually also love Dario's characterisation. RC pulls it off wonderfully. He is not a character I could side with or approve of, but I love that he is no black/white character (actually, none of the MCs are!) but has so many sides to him, likable and unlikable both.

Tammie | 3002 comments I agree and live these end if book (view spoiler)...definitely recommend this series!