Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Penelopiad
This topic is about The Penelopiad
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Atwood, Margaret-- The Penelopiad informal buddy read starts July 1, 2018

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood.

Synopsis
In Homer’s account in The Odyssey, Penelope—wife of Odysseus and cousin of the beautiful Helen of Troy—is portrayed as the quintessential faithful wife, her story a salutary lesson through the ages. Left alone for twenty years when Odysseus goes off to fight in the Trojan War after the abduction of Helen, Penelope manages, in the face of scandalous rumors, to maintain the kingdom of Ithaca, bring up her wayward son, and keep over a hundred suitors at bay, simultaneously. When Odysseus finally comes home after enduring hardships, overcoming monsters, and sleeping with goddesses, he kills her suitors and—curiously—twelve of her maids.

In a splendid contemporary twist to the ancient story, Margaret Atwood has chosen to give the telling of it to Penelope and to her twelve hanged maids, asking: “What led to the hanging of the maids, and what was Penelope really up to?” In Atwood’s dazzling, playful retelling, the story becomes as wise and compassionate as it is haunting, and as wildly entertaining as it is disturbing. With wit and verve, drawing on the story-telling and poetic talent for which she herself is renowned, she gives Penelope new life and reality—and sets out to provide an answer to an ancient mystery.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Karishma (new) - added it

Karishma (karishmanewar) Checking in!

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments I join this one from team Minerva

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments My copy shows in transit from the library but I probably won't have it until Monday. Our library is closed on Saturdays which sucks and makes no sense to me at all.

message 7: by Karishma (new) - added it

Karishma (karishmanewar) No problem, can wait a bit till your copy get here.

JanEyre9 My husband just read this recently and is so antsy for me to let him know what I think. I hope I like it, lol.

message 9: by Karishma (new) - added it

Karishma (karishmanewar) JanEyre9 wrote: "My husband just read this recently and is so antsy for me to let him know what I think. I hope I like it, lol."

I have heard that it is really good esp in audiobook format.

Did your husband read it or listen to it? And is he also on goodreads?

JanEyre9 No he doesn't use goodreads, he's a reader but not quite as obsessed as I am :) He read it, he's an English teacher and might use this as part of his class next year. I read Circe recently and think it started a mythology based fiction kick.

message 11: by Karishma (new) - added it

Karishma (karishmanewar) JanEyre9 wrote: "No he doesn't use goodreads, he's a reader but not quite as obsessed as I am :) He read it, he's an English teacher and might use this as part of his class next year. I read Circe r..."

I haven't read Circe yet - How did you like it?

Have you read/listened to Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman>

It's superb although I wouldn't have been able to understand the pronunciations of all the words if I hadn't heard the audiobook.

My July is going to be one long listen to the book again really slowly.

JanEyre9 I thought Circe was awesome, really rich language and beautiful atmosphere. The audio was a lovely listen. I haven't read Norse Mythology yet, I got it for Christmas but haven't picked it up yet, though I love Gaiman.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments My library still shows it as "in transit". It looks like I'm first in line now for the ebook copy I put on hold.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments I finally got a copy and started this today. Anyone else reading?

I have to say, it's really good on audio book. . They used the same reader, but did things to her voice and over lapped them during the chorus readings. It sounds really cool.

It's been a long time since I read about this Mythology and so I'm having a bit of trouble with remember the story of Helen of Troy and the Trojan War.

message 15: by Karishma (new) - added it

Karishma (karishmanewar) I had read it on audiobook part time around. It was very good.

I was waiting for you to get your copy so I didn't start.

I wouldn't be able to now I'm sorry. My mom got hospitalised today and I don't think I will have time to read for a few days.

I can only read what I have on audio while doing chores.

JanEyre9 I'm not sure if this BR will end up happening, looks like it's just me and Mary and we're on the saw TTVI team. I'm think I'm going to focus elsewhere right now

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments I've listened here and there but have put my focus on other BRs for the same reason.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Penelopiad (other topics)
Circe (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Margaret Atwood (other topics)