Gorgeous Guys, Beautiful Books, and Occasional Vampires discussion

Book Discussions > Classic Novels

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney You know... Wuthering Height, Jane Austin stuff, and anything else that's a classic

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments I love Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and Little Women. I really want to read sense and sensibility and pride and prejudice.

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I do too, can't get into Wuthering Heights. Well, the truth is I guess I haven't really tried. But the first page was confusing. I borrowed it from Samantha and she won't let me give it back until I read it. I do want to though. I just gotta get into it

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments Haven't read Wuthering Heights or Sense and Sensibility but I've got the books so I will at some point. Pride and Prejudice was alright but my favourite is Jane Eyre which I read a couple of years ago. They are quite hard to get into though because the writing style is quite different and it's hard to understand what they're saying sometimes. Especially as English is my second language.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney really it is? What is your first? I agree it's mostly the words and the adjectives that confuse me

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments Chinese. But in some ways I'm better at English because I can't read or write much in Chinese, only speak it! With classics I sometimes find that I don't understand sentences on their own, but once I read the whole paragraph, it's easier to get what they're trying to say.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney oh that's so cool that you speak it. I wish I spoke two languages. I agree, I guess I'll just have to try again.

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments Courtney just get through the first two chapters of Wuthering heights and then you won't be able to put it down. Well thats what happened with me anyway.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney ok, I'll try.....someday

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments lol

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney sorry, now Samantha says she is planning on yelling at me about not reading Wuthering Heights yet. But she is going to do it on goodreads! Lol, I'm scared

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthan) YOU SHOULD READ WUTHERING HEIGHTS COURTNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS YOUR CONSCIENCE SPEAKING. IT IS ONE OF THE GREATEST BOOKS EVER WRITTEN. HECK, THEY TALK ABOUT IT IN ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS!
Alright, I'm calm now. What's the topic? Oh yeah, classics. Well, I guess you can tell Wuthering Heights is one of my favorites. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is my favorite book of all time. And so is Pride and Predjudice by Jane Austen. Persuasion by Jane Austen is great too.

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthan) Catherine wrote: "Chinese. But in some ways I'm better at English because I can't read or write much in Chinese, only speak it! With classics I sometimes find that I don't understand sentences on their own, but once..."

That's so cool your first language is Chinese! My younger sister goes to a Chinese Immersion School so she is learning to read and write in Mandarin. I'm starting to learn Mandarin using the computer program Rosetta Stone.

message 14: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) I've always wanted to read Wuthering Heights because it was mentioned in Twilight and some other books that I've read but I don't know if I'd be able to read it because if it's anything like Pride and Prejudice, it's bound to be thrown at a wall.
I'd love to read some classics.. but I'm never in the right frame of mind to actually sit down and read them. They are just plain boring.. well, Pride and Prejudice is just plain boring. I swear NOTHING happens.. EVER! Not that I actually FINISHED it..

Ahh well...

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments Samantha wrote: "YOU SHOULD READ WUTHERING HEIGHTS COURTNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS YOUR CONSCIENCE SPEAKING. IT IS ONE OF THE GREATEST BOOKS EVER WRITTEN. HECK, THEY TALK ABOUT IT IN ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS!
Alr..."

I love Wuthering Heights so much as I do Jane Eyre. They're both soo romantic.

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments I have to read a classic book for my English class this year. Is there anything you guys could recommend for me that's fairly easy to understand? I really get bored with classics easily...

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments Jane Eyre's pretty easy. Do you have to analyze it? There's loads of pathetic fallacy in that which is always pretty easy to analyze.

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments No, I don't have to analyze it. I just have to read 500 pages worth of classical books.

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments oh well Jane Eyre is brilliant, its one of my favorites.

message 20: by Courtney (new)

Courtney really? Maybe I should try it too. Gosh Samantha!!! Calm down! Lol, I'll try soon.....maybe.

message 21: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Now you can yell at me every day about not reading it....AT SCHOOL!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthan) I know! I get to see you five days a week!!!! I'm so excited! It'll be like old times! I hope we have some classes together!

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthan) Holly wrote: "I have to read a classic book for my English class this year. Is there anything you guys could recommend for me that's fairly easy to understand? I really get bored with classics easily..."

You should read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It's not very long and it is laugh out loud funny. Austen's writing is very witty and entertaining, the plot is paced perfectly, and Darcy is like the original book character to have a crush on. Lizzie is also a great heroine, so I think Pride and Prejudice would be a good one for you to read.

message 24: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments Thanks! I'll look into that. I think I've found another classic, but it's kind of off-the-wall. It's called The Haunting of Hill House and it's supposed to be some psycho thriller, totally up my alley. Anyone read it?

message 25: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Never heard of The Haunting of Hill House actually, I think I might look into it though. :)

message 26: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Semi-recluse upset with her sick mother for 11 wasted years and a haunted house to boot? My kind of book.

message 27: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Yeah, it sounds interesting :) I kind of doubt I'll ever end up reading it, but I hope to! (:

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments Does 1984 count as a classic? Its not the same period as all these but still...

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments I think it does because it was written in the 50's, right? Hill House was written in 59.

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments The Haunting of hill House sounds seriously cool and I love 1984, its bloody scary though.

message 31: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments My dad keeps trying to get me to read 1984 because he read it in school or something and loved it. I'm just not sure how I'd like it. If I was required to, yeah I'd read it. If I wasn't, the motivation's not there.

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments I liked it, some bits are a tad boring and confusing but it is amazing. I love the whole idea of a love story set against everything else, all the politics and crap going on, the idea that to feel and to love is the only way to fight. The love story is beautiful and the politics and the complete control are terrifying, its a great combination.

message 33: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments I had to read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand this summer for school and that was kind of the same way. Tons of politics, but there's a love story thrown in. Only the message is more "think for yourself" than "love conquers all." But i really liked it.

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments Sounds good although I wouldn't say that in 1984 that love concours all, in fact its pretty sad what happened, I guess its more about hope.

message 35: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I want to read that now too, god my to-read list is growing. I would count that as classics I guess

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments What do you want to read?

message 37: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Haunting of the Hill House

message 38: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) This is probably an incredibly stupid question but I'll ask it anyways, what makes a book a classic?

message 39: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments That's actually a really good question. Mark Twain said a classic was a book everyone praised but no one read. Which can be true. I think mostly it's age and how it has faired over time.

message 40: by Courtney (new)

Courtney For this dissucion, I meant it to be for books by authors like Jane Austin and old books like Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudce. Stuff like that.

message 41: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments I haven't read any of those. I kind of swore off classic books after Charles Dickens. But if something sounds good, I'll read it.

message 42: by Courtney (new)

Courtney yeah, me too. I'm not often into those kinda things. But the funny part is, that if a current author writes a book from that time period, I'll read it. (The Luxe) I just don't like to try and understand their old english

message 43: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments I love historical fiction! Sure, some of the stories are so exaggerated on romance it's scary, but I love 'em. Probably my favorite from that era is The Season. It's so funny.

message 44: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Since I sort of missed the beginning of this conversation I'll throw my two cents in now LOL.

Holly, thanks for clarifying what makes a book a classic for me.

Courtney, I haven't read those either.. I can't say I haven't tried though. I did try to read Pride and Prejudice but I just found the beginning so boring it made me not want to read anymore, it took me like two weeks of forcing myself to read to get to page 70!

I'd love to read more classics though.. it's just I don't have the patience to decipher the old English they used. In a sense, it bores me.

Oh yeah, I loved The Season!! Oddly enough, it was because of that book that I found Goodreads! LOL

message 45: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments Me too! Well, I first saw it at the library, but I got on here to see how people liked it and gave it a shot. It was just so amazing! I love Gavin so much!

message 46: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Yeah it really was amazing. I love Gavin too! Do you know if Sarah McLean has got another book in the works?

message 47: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Holly wrote: "I love historical fiction! Sure, some of the stories are so exaggerated on romance it's scary, but I love 'em. Probably my favorite from that era is The Season. It's so funny."

OMG! I love historical fiction. Espeacially romantic ones!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 48: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments Then The Season is your book, Courtney! The three main girls are always reading books like Pride and Prejudice and being smarter than men. Except Gavin, who is really hot.

And Makenzie, I'm not sure if there's another book. She's working on a book now called "Nine Rules to Break When Romancing A Rake". I don't know about you, but the title had me hooked.

message 49: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Yeah, I heard of it through my friend but I didn't realize that it was by the same author as The Season.

message 50: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments Yup. I think it's also going to be a historical romance and a series. I think I read she was doing a sequel to it, but I'm not sure. Anything with that title has got to be funny, right?

« previous 1 3