The BURIED Book Club discussion

Personas en la sala
This topic is about Personas en la sala
unBURIED Authors K-P > Norah Lange

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jimmy (new) - added it

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 94 comments I present to you Norah Lange (1905-1972) an Argentine author, associated with the Buenos Aires avant garde of the 1920s and 1930s. A member of the Florida group, which also included figures such as Oliverio Girondo (whom she married in 1943) and Jorge Luis Borges (who dedicated an article to her in his first book of prose, Inquisiciones). From one of her book's blurbs: "Too long viewed as Borges’s muse, Lange is today recognized in the Spanish-speaking world as a great writer and is here translated into English for the first time, to be read alongside Virginia Woolf, Clarice Lispector and Marguerite Duras." (not sure how true that is or how much that is just namedrop marketing)

She's written a few novels and a few books of poetry, only one (maybe? can someone find evidence of others?) has been translated to English. She has 6 reviews (only 2 in English) over 9 distinct works. Here's the book I found in English:

People in the Room is a novel. "A deathly scene from a wax museum come to life, in a closed, feminine world" -- César Aira (not sure if that's praise or what, but it sounds interesting haha, and I love Aira, so anything he blurbs is at least noteworthy)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Jimmy wrote: "People in the Room is a novel. "A deathly scene from a wax museum come to life, in a closed, feminine world" -- César Aira (not sure if that's praise or what, but it sounds interesting haha, and I love Aira, so anything he blurbs is at least noteworthy)"

Forthcoming this August from And Other Stories. [I didn't find anything else in English either.] Should be good!

message 3: by Jimmy (new) - added it

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 94 comments Oh! I thought it was out already. No wonder I couldn't find any copies.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Jimmy wrote: "Oh! I thought it was out already. No wonder I couldn't find any copies."

A few ARCs available on abe.

message 5: by Nate (new)

Nate (rockhyrax) | 354 comments Oh good -- I have a semi-accidental And Other Stories subscription, so hopefully this will be coming my way without having to lift a finger!

message 6: by Jimmy (new) - added it

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 94 comments Minimal finger lifting is my ideal state as well.