Eclectic Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Eclectic Readathons > June 2018 Readathon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (merethebookgal) | 214 comments Mod
Welcome to the discussion thread for the June 2018 Eclectic Readathon, which will be held from 8:00pm EST Friday, June 22- 8:00 EST Saturday, June 23rd.

Read as much as you can in the way of books. You can read audiobooks, ebooks, print books. Adult, children’s, YA, doesn’t matter. They do have to be books, though. Magazines, newspapers, fanfic are beautiful and beloved by us all, but making it about books evens out the playing field of challenges for everyone.

Track the amount of time you’re reading. (Use your phone's stopwatch app. This will be important later.)

We'll be posting check-in questions/challenges every two hours during the Readathon, as well as providing a bookish scavenger hunt for things to find in the books you're reading, or to do while you're reading. (We won't release the scavenger hunt until right when the Readathon begins to keep you guessing!)

Each check-in question/challenge you complete will be worth two (2) points, and each scavenger hunt item will be worth varied amounts of points, but the total amount of scavenger hunt points you can earn is 40, which means you're trying to earn a total of 64 points. And if you miss a check-in when it's first posted you can always catch up and post your answer later on.

What are the points for, you ask? An amazing prize, of course!! If you end up with the most points at the end of the Readathon you’ll win your choice of three (3) Eclectic Readers Books! (Check out the titles of our podcast episodes to see which books qualify.) If more than more person has the same amount of points, their names will be entered into a drawing for the prize.

We'll also be posting the check-ins on our Eclectic Readers Litsy page, (and other social media platforms with hashtag #EclecticReadathon) and we hope you'll join in the conversation there and use the hashtag on your own posts, but in order for your points to count towards the prize, you MUST log your check-in answers and scavenger hunt points in this thread! If it isn’t here, it doesn’t count!

We're also giving away a prize for the most time read, so make sure to use the stopwatch app on your phone to track your reading time, because at the end of the Readathon we'll ask you to take a screenshot of your stopwatch and post it to your social media platform of choice (Litsy, Instagram, Twitter, etc) and copy the link of that post to this thread. (Again, if more than one person reads the same amount, we'll have a drawing for the prize.) The prize for most time read is one (1) Eclectic Readers Book of your choice.

Alright, I think that pretty much covers everything. Let us know if you have any questions and we'll see you right here shortly!

message 2: by Jeannette (last edited Jun 22, 2018 05:37PM) (new)

Jeannette (jmtrivera) | 517 comments Mod
And the scavenger hunt list is up! Check it out!

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Newman (taranewman) | 130 comments Mod
Hi! Who is out there? Time for our first Check-in!

8:00 PM Checkin #1: How did you find out about the readathon? And where are you reading from?

Hi, I'm Tara, one of the hosts of Eclectic Readers and I am reading from Northern Virginia!

message 4: by Meredith (new)

Woohoo! I’m also reading in Northern Virginia... with Tara! ;) I guess I knew about the Readathon since I’m one of the cohosts, LOL

Ashley Reading Stewardess | 10 comments Hi, I’m Ashley. I found out about the readathon from Meredith because I follow her on Instagram and Litsy. I’m reading joining the readathon from Colorado.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 9 comments I’m in CT and going about this thru Litsy. This will be the first time I’ve actually tried to do a Readathon!

message 7: by Tara (new)

Welcome Melanie, we are thrilled to be your first Read-a-thon!!

Hi Ashley, Mere has a strong insta-game! Glad to have you!

message 8: by Tara (new)

What are you guys reading?

message 9: by Lana (new)

Lana  (Bibliomedico) (bibliomedico) Hey, I'm Lana😊, I'm joining you from Jordan and I found about the readathon from my friend Jade (btw she is joining us), she found out about the readathon from Instagram.

message 10: by Tara (new)

Hi Lana! Welcome! What time is it in Jordan?

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 9 comments I’m reading Red Rising right now. I have a couple graphic novels to fill in and the new Sophie Kinsella along with some other fun stuff. ☺️ How about you?

message 12: by Lana (new)

Lana  (Bibliomedico) (bibliomedico) 03:31 am, it's Saturday here 😆

message 13: by Tara (new)

Hey Eclectic Readers! Reminder, as you find a scavenger item from the list (second post in the thread), post it here for points!

Most points = 3 Eclectic Reader Books

Good luck!

To reference the rules, go to our podcast webpage: eclecticreaders.fireside.fm

message 14: by Meredith (new)

Hi Ashley, Melanie, and Lana! Welcome!

Wow, Lana, that’s some real commitment right there!!!

I loved Red Rising, Melanie!

message 15: by Tara (new)

Melanie wrote: "I’m reading Red Rising right now. I have a couple graphic novels to fill in and the new Sophie Kinsella along with some other fun stuff. ☺️ How about you?"

Ooo! I have been meaning to read those. I'm trying to get through "A Torch Against the Night" by Sabaa Tahir before an event with her next week.

message 16: by Jeannette (new)

Welcome, readers! I'm Jeannette, one of the hosts of the podcast, finally getting started now that the munchkin is in bed. Reading here in Northern VA, and of course, I found out about the Readathon when we all said, "We've got to plan another Readathon!" :-)

message 17: by Tara (new)

My points don't count, but I like to play along!

Reading with Friends - 3 points
and
Author is a POC - 2 points

message 18: by Meredith (new)

I’ve got a few points, too!

Reading with a friend- 3 points
A protagonist dreams- 1 point

Ashley Reading Stewardess | 10 comments Having a person ask you what you’re reading: My Mom came in to my room where I’m currently listening to my audiobook “Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture” and she asked what audiobook I was asking to. 3 points

message 20: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (sprainedbrain) | 14 comments Hi, everyone! I’m late starting due to kid stuff but I’m starting the clock soon. I’m in Iowa, USA and I learned about the readathon last year on Litsy and the podcast. This is my second time. 😃

message 21: by Tara (last edited Jun 22, 2018 06:28PM) (new)

Jenni wrote: "Hi, everyone! I’m late starting due to kid stuff but I’m starting the clock soon. I’m in Iowa, USA and I learned about the readathon last year on Litsy and the podcast. This is my second time. 😃"

Welcome back, Jenni!!!

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimguernsey) | 150 comments 8:00 PM Checkin #1: How did you find out about the readathon? And where are you reading from?

Hi all! I'm Kim, a member of the IRL Eclectic Readers and follower of the podcast and Litsy account. I guess I found out from all the cohosts and Instagram and Litsy and podcast and wherever else ER seems to chat about books. :)

Reading from Chicago. Starting a wee bit late (mom life) but plan to read as much as I can before I crash tonight!

message 23: by Kim (last edited Jun 22, 2018 06:42PM) (new)

Kim (kimguernsey) | 150 comments Starting to collect points!
:: Sharing a photo of your current book - 2 (on Litsy @kim.guernsey)
Total: 2

message 24: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 9 comments A book that references another book (Red Rising just listed several, including Gatsby and 1984) - 2 points
Sharing a photo of your current book (just posted mine to Litsy) - 2 points

message 25: by Tara (new)

10:00PM Check-in #2: Give Your Book a New Title!

This one is fun!

Current Title: A Torch Against the Night
New Title: Run Victorious, Run!

(I'm only on Chapter 9)

message 26: by Jeannette (last edited Jun 22, 2018 07:04PM) (new)

Tara wrote: " 10:00PM Check-in #2: Give Your Book a New Title!

This one is fun!

(I'm only on Chapter 9)"

I'm reading Sky in the Deep, but I feel like the new title should be Why Are We All Fighting Again?

This is one of my favorite challenges. I can't wait to see what everyone says!

message 27: by Meredith (new)

Ashley wrote: "Having a person ask you what you’re reading: My Mom came in to my room where I’m currently listening to my audiobook “Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture” and she asked what audiobook I was ..."

That’s awesome!

message 28: by Meredith (new)

That’s a great one Tara, very very fitting!

message 29: by Meredith (new)

10:00 pm check-in

Current Read: Sky in the Deep
New Title: Vikings Fight A Lot
LOL

message 30: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 9 comments Check in #2 - Red Rising - new title The Caste System on Mars (I am bad at this kind of thing!)

message 31: by Jowaher (new)

Jowaher (jadeadam) Hi, my name is Jade, I'm from Saudi Arabia and I found out about this Read-A-Thon on Instagram by Meredith. I over slept, ugh, an hour behind

message 32: by Kim (last edited Jun 22, 2018 08:11PM) (new)

Kim (kimguernsey) | 150 comments :: Sharing a photo of your current book - 2 (on Litsy @kim.guernsey)
:: A Character who has a birthday - 2
:: A book that is also on a friend's TBR - 1
:: Reading with a cold beverage - 1 (just water because I'm boring)
:: A book with a character who has a disability - 2
Total: 8

message 33: by Kim (last edited Jun 22, 2018 07:24PM) (new)

Kim (kimguernsey) | 150 comments 10:00PM Check-in #2: Give Your Book a New Title!

Current title: Uncommon Type (by Tom Hanks)
New title: Tom Tells Tales of a Typewriter

Do I get bonus points for alliteration? haha

message 34: by Meredith (new)

Jowaher wrote: "Hi, my name is Jade, I'm from Saudi Arabia and I found out about this Read-A-Thon on Instagram by Meredith. I over slept, ugh, an hour behind"

Welcome, Jade!

message 35: by Jowaher (new)

Jowaher (jadeadam) Meredith wrote: "Jowaher wrote: "Hi, my name is Jade, I'm from Saudi Arabia and I found out about this Read-A-Thon on Instagram by Meredith. I over slept, ugh, an hour behind"

Welcome, Jade!"

Thank you, Meredith!

message 36: by Meredith (new)

I finished my first book! I only had about 100 pages left when the Readathon started, but I’m feeling quite accomplished :) now on to hopefully finish The Poet X!

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimguernsey) | 150 comments Meredith wrote: "I finished my first book! I only had about 100 pages left when the Readathon started, but I’m feeling quite accomplished :) now on to hopefully finish The Poet X!"

Woop woop!

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 9 comments Reading with a cold beverage - a blackberry gose and a bottle of water both! - 1 point
A protagonist dreams (twice now, but not a lot of detail about either dream) - 1 point
I feel like I’m doing pretty well so far, even though I’ve only gotten an hour and a half of actual reading done.

message 39: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 9 comments That was supposed to say an HOUR and a half. I must be getting tired!

message 40: by Meredith (new)

Melanie wrote: "Reading with a cold beverage - a blackberry gose and a bottle of water both! - 1 point
A protagonist dreams (twice now, but not a lot of detail about either dream) - 1 point
I feel like I’m doing p..."

Ooh, a Blackberry Gose sounds delicious!!

message 41: by Tara (new)

Here it is folks, my last check-in before Sue comes in to relieve me of some much needed Z's! And this one is my favorite!

If you have made it with me this long - Congrats! I know we have folk from all over the world, but on the East Coast it's Midnight and we are here to PAAARTY!

So, without further ado...

12:00 AM Check-in #3: MIDNIGHT DANCE PARTY! Post a Youtube link of a song that reminds you of your current read.

I am still reading "A Torch Against the Darkness" and my song is "Shadows of the Night" by Pat Benatar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9eRh...

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimguernsey) | 150 comments I'm here for the time check! but not awake enough to be clever and come up with a song. I'll try in the morning though....

message 43: by Meredith (new)

I’m currently reading The Poet X, and she talks about Kendrick Lamar, so here’s a link to his “Pray for Me”

https://youtu.be/XR7Ev14vUh8

message 44: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 9 comments I’m going to have to think hard about this midnight prompt - I’m not coming up with anything off the top of my head.

message 45: by Joyful (new)

Joyful Mimi (joy76) | 7 comments Jeannette wrote: "And the scavenger hunt list is up! Check it out!"

Jeannette wrote: "And the scavenger hunt list is up! Check it out!"

message 46: by Joyful (new)

Joyful Mimi (joy76) | 7 comments Hi I am JoyfulMimi on Litsy and found out about this there at 12:30 Am but I am still joining. I live in North Carolina.

message 47: by Joyful (new)

Joyful Mimi (joy76) | 7 comments Tara wrote: "What are you guys reading?"

message 48: by Joyful (new)

Joyful Mimi (joy76) | 7 comments Tara wrote: "What are you guys reading?"

I am reading “A Homemade Life” by Molly Wizenberg

message 49: by Joyful (new)

Joyful Mimi (joy76) | 7 comments Tara wrote: " 10:00PM Check-in #2: Give Your Book a New Title!

This one is fun!

(I'm only on Chapter 9)"

message 50: by Joyful (new)

Joyful Mimi (joy76) | 7 comments “We are Family”

https://youtu.be/eBpYgpF1bqQ

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.