Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Dear Aaron
This topic is about Dear Aaron
34 views
Archive (Buddy Reads) > Ezi & Chiara's Ongoing Buddy Read (Dear Aaron) ~ June 2018)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ezi (last edited Jun 22, 2018 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Dear Aaron by Mariana Zapata Dear Aaron by Mariana Zapata
BLURB:
Ruby Santos knew exactly what she was getting herself into when she signed up to write a soldier overseas.

The guidelines were simple: one letter or email a week for the length of his or her deployment. Care packages were optional.

Been there, done that. She thought she knew what to expect.

What she didn’t count on was falling in love with the guy.


message 3: by Ezi (last edited Jun 22, 2018 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments ♛Nominations for Future BR's♛
Ryan's Bed by Tijan Shameless by Lex Martin Scars and Secrets (Loose Ends, #1) by Avril Ashton 180 Seconds by Jessica Park Drunk Dial by Penelope Ward Dear Agony by Georgia Cates Lake + Manning (Something in the Way, #4) by Jessica Hawkins Priest (Priest, #1) by Sierra Simone From Lukov with Love by Mariana Zapata Preston's Honor by Mia Sheridan Seek by Mia Sheridan Behind the Bars (Music Street, #1) by Brittainy C. Cherry Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1) by Megan Hart One Small Thing by Erin Watt

Not released yet but on audio preorder:
In Harmony by Emma Scott


Chiara | 726 comments I’ve just downloaded it, so I’m ready to start whenever you want!


message 5: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "I’ve just downloaded it, so I’m ready to start whenever you want!"

I will start in an hour. I’m at the pool with my kids 😂


message 6: by Ezi (last edited Jun 22, 2018 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I’m excited. My middle name is Ruby and she likes corny/bad jokes like me. 😂
Rubella sounds like a disease, Rubes sounds like pubes.
Her nicknames are terrible


message 7: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Why didn’t he reply?


message 8: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I just started Ch 4, he finally responded....via email and finally some dialogue


message 9: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I’m already on chapter 8. I thought the boyfriend thing was fishy since ladies in relationships typically don’t pen pal that often at least once a week without mentioning their boyfriend or husbands


message 10: by Chiara (last edited Jun 23, 2018 01:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I’m already on chapter 8. I thought the boyfriend thing was fishy since ladies in relationships typically don’t pen pal that often at least once a week without mentioning their boyfriend or husbands"

Wow you’re already on chapter 8!!
I’ve just started..hope I’ll catch up with you while you’re sleeping!!


Chiara | 726 comments This “writing a soldier” project is completely foreign territory for me because we don’t have many soldiers abroad, but I think it’s a very useful and important venture that can help soldiers feeling less lonely.
It also reminds me in some ways of my childhood and teenage years because I used to have pen pals from different countries and it was really nice writing each other letters.


Chiara | 726 comments How frustrating it must be to write someone and never get a reply..I admire Ruby’s persistency!


Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I just started Ch 4, he finally responded....via email and finally some dialogue"

I think what made him decide to answer is what Ruby said about her brother being a marine and about understanding how lonely you can feel when you’re deployed. Probably in the beginning he had misjudged her and wasn’t planning on replying (also because her questions were a bit trivial) but once he understood that she was someone worth talking to, he decided to finally write back.


Chiara | 726 comments I like the fact that their emails are getting longer and more frequent..it means they somehow clicked!


Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I’m already on chapter 8. I thought the boyfriend thing was fishy since ladies in relationships typically don’t pen pal that often at least once a week without mentioning their boyfriend or husbands"

Yes, it seemed strange to me too that she had a bf..I’m glad to know she’s single! If she really was in a relationship it would have been harder for them to interact and feel so connected to each other.
However, I’m wondering how’s it possible that she never had a boyfriend in 23 years..she seems a funny and smart girl!


Chiara | 726 comments I’m realizing that you get to know a lot of a person’s life and personality being pen pals. Aaron and Ruby are building a strong connection with their emails..and I’m loving every second of it so far! (I’m on chapter 7)


message 17: by Chiara (last edited Jun 23, 2018 06:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Chapter 9

So Ruby has Wolff-Parkinson White..it’s a disease I’ve heard for the first time only a couple of days ago..it’s such a coincidence that I’ve read about it on fb (because Emma Scott’s daughter has it and unfortunately she just had a massive heart attack) and now our heroine has the same disease.

I like the way Aaron feels very protective of her..telling her to eat, to gain back weight, to take her medicine for pneumonia. You can feel that they’ve already started to care for each other quite a lot..


message 18: by Chiara (last edited Jun 23, 2018 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chiara | 726 comments I’m really liking this book, I adore both Ruby and Aaron and Mariana Zapata is the queen of slow burn romance..but I’m starting to feel she’s dragging this email/chat thing a bit too much..I’m 28% and it’s becoming a tiny bit boring..I hope things will change soon (Aaron should be deployed in a few weeks!)


message 19: by Chiara (last edited Jun 23, 2018 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Chapter 11
It’s so evident that Aaron is jealous when Ruby tells him that guy know seed her...he should have said something to a Ruby instead of being pissed and disappearing for 2 weeks!


message 20: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "This “writing a soldier” project is completely foreign territory for me because we don’t have many soldiers abroad, but I think it’s a very useful and important venture that can help soldiers feeli..."

A lot of my friends in college did that because of the Iraq war (Operation Desert Storm). They met the soldiers and broke up soon after. There was a freedom in the online writing but meeting them in real life and the realities of who they were didn’t always pan out


message 21: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Chapter 9

So Ruby has Wolff-Parkinson White..it’s a disease I’ve heard for the first time only a couple of days ago..it’s such a coincidence that I’ve read about it on fb (because [author:Emma Sco..."


I love how these romance books exposes me to disorders, illnesses or just situations that I’ve never heard of. It’s an education sometimes reading these books.

I’m sorry to hear about Emma Scott’s kid. How sad.

I knew there was a reason Ruby was a hermit


message 22: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Chapter 11
It’s so evident that Aaron is jealous when Ruby tells him that guy know seed her...he should have said something to a Ruby instead of being pissed and disappearing for 2 weeks!"


I know right? He was totally jealous and he couldn’t stand it. Imagine if she told him that she had sex with the guy, Aaron would have deleted her as a friend


message 23: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "I’m really liking this book, I adore both Ruby and Aaron and Mariana Zapata is the queen of slow burn romance..but I’m starting to feel she’s dragging this email/chat thing a bit too much..I’m 28% ..."

Because she writes slow burners, there’s always a point where the book starts dragging for a little bit.

Now it’s picking up. Aaron offered to fly her down to meet him as he goes on his trip to Miami with his friend Dax?


message 24: by Ezi (last edited Jun 23, 2018 07:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I knew he wouldn’t stand her up! But I was worried where he was and why he was late.

I can’t wait to see her and Aaron together. I feel their chemistry


Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I knew he wouldn’t stand her up! But I was worried where he was and why he was late.

I can’t wait to see her and Aaron together. I feel their chemistry"


That scene where Ruby is there waiting for him in front of the airport broke my heart a bit! And especially when at first she thought he was disappointed in her..she’s smart and sassy but at the same time very insecure.
I don’t understand why Aaron’s friends seem a bit guarded the first time they meet Ruby


Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "I’m really liking this book, I adore both Ruby and Aaron and Mariana Zapata is the queen of slow burn romance..but I’m starting to feel she’s dragging this email/chat thing a bit too..."

That was a very bold move, to ask her to finally meet. And I’m proud of her for accepting!
Something similar happened to me too many years ago...it’s nervwrecking to meet for the first time someone you’ve talked to for months and feel so connected to but that, ultimately, is a stranger. So I understood perfectly her feelings, her fears and her palpitations


Chiara | 726 comments I have to say that her brother’s friend is a real piece of crap..not only he knew she had a crush on him and didn’t do anything about it, but he basically took advantage of it and slept with her. And afterwards, he acted as an even bigger douchebag telling her it was a huge mistake and that he got caught in the moment... now I understand even more why she’s so closed of and insecure.
And the fact that this guy told her he saw her as “his little sister” made me cringe because it’s the exact same thing Aaron stupidly told her


message 28: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "I have to say that her brother’s friend is a real piece of crap..not only he knew she had a crush on him and didn’t do anything about it, but he basically took advantage of it and slept with her. A..."

She’s thirsty isn’t she? Just so desperate.
I wish he would just tell her what is bothering him. He has to open up to her and she should insist


Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "I have to say that her brother’s friend is a real piece of crap..not only he knew she had a crush on him and didn’t do anything about it, but he basically took advantage of it and sl..."

Closed off people are really challenging. I'm a person that likes confrontation because if I have to deal with someone that keeps things for himself, I start making up the craziest stories in my mind and this only complicates the situation!


message 30: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I finished this audiobook. While the Mariana Zapata can shave off 50-75 pages per book, I really enjoyed this one.

I wonder, what was the impetus for Aaron to go for it with her?


Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I finished this audiobook. While the Mariana Zapata can shave off 50-75 pages per book, I really enjoyed this one.

I wonder, what was the impetus for Aaron to go for it with her?"


I enjoyed it as well but I was a bit disappointed by the ending and the epilogue.. that's why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. Basically we see nothing on their future and I was expecting a bit more!
I'm glad that in the end he started to be a bit more open with her


message 32: by Ezi (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments What do you feel like reading for July? Or do you need to take a short break?


message 33: by Chiara (last edited Jul 01, 2018 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "What do you feel like reading for July? Or do you need to take a short break?"

Hey Ezi! There are a few books I’d like to read..for example
One Small Thing by Erin Watt More Than Words by Mia Sheridan Priest (Priest, #1) by Sierra Simone
But if you’re busy with children or vacations, or you need a break it’s totally fine :)


message 34: by Ezi (last edited Sep 05, 2018 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Hey Chiara,
Did you see that 180 Seconds is in the list for PtP 6?
We could BR it unless you have something else in mind to r ad. I admit there were 5 books that caught my eye on the lists 😂
180 Seconds by Jessica Park


back to top