Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Random Chatter > Happy Birthday Authors from our List

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Today is Octavia Butler's birthday. She would have been 71 years old today. She had two books nominated for the Nebula Award Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents. The later won the award in 2000.

To learn more about her, click here

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Here's another great author from our bookshelves.

June 25, 1903 | George Orwell

Born Eric Arthur Blair, Orwell achieved fame with his dystopian novel, 1984, and the dark political satire, Animal Farm. Orwell left an indelible mark on language; the term “Orwellian” is used to describe a force opposed to a free society.

message 3: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
July 7, 1907 | Robert A. Heinlein
American science-fiction writer. Often called the "dean of science fiction writers", his controversial works continue to have an influential effect on the genre.

07.07.07. The man can't even have a regular birthday!

message 4: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4055 comments Mod
Wow! He's one of my faves, but I never knew much about his personal life. Neato!

message 5: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Art wrote: "07.07.07 The man can't even have a regular birthday

That is a pretty awesome birthday!

message 6: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2337 comments Mod
Thursday was the birthday of Aldous Huxley (Brave New World) and filmmaker Stanley Kubrick (2001 and A Clockwork Orange).

message 7: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Jul 28, 2018 07:01PM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Speaking of 2001, it is its 50th anniversary this year and we were considering putting it forward as a sort of a challenge end of this year. Something we can look into come fall.

message 8: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2337 comments Mod
I'd be up to finishing it. If I recall correctly, I read the first two but never got to the others.

message 9: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4055 comments Mod
Allen, I find it interesting that they were both born on the same day since they have such interesting visions of the world

message 10: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
July 31st was J K Rowling's birthday, though I do realise we are three days into August already.
Better late than never!