Get Graphic discussion

The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Wisdom and Wit in the Wild West
This topic is about The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey
Suggested Reading > #21 - The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andréa (last edited Jul 03, 2018 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andréa (fernandie) | 893 comments Share books that are similar to, complementary to, mentioned in, or referenced by The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Wisdom and Wit in the Wild West.

Post any books that relate to The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Wisdom and Wit in the Wild West below, preferably linking to a Goodreads page for the book and/or author. (You can do so using the "add book/author" hyperlink above the comment box.)

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed Erwin I just read another book by this author Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You about the Civil War. Steve Sheinkin has a series of books of history that are supposedly for children, but I as an adult have no problem recommending this one, and will probably try some more of them. He seems to like digging out the odder parts of the history he writes about.

His history books contain illustrations, but oddly not by him, and they are not graphic novels.

Andréa (fernandie) | 893 comments Ed wrote: "I just read another book by this author Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You about the Civil War. Steve Sheinkin has a series of books of history that are supposedly for children, but I as an adult have no problem recommending this one, and will probably try some more of them. He seems to like digging out the odder parts of the history he writes about.

His history books contain illustrations, but oddly not by him, and they are not graphic novels."

Oooh, interesting! My IRL book club recently read Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, which I found really interesting. Sounds like the Sheinkin one is in a similar vein.

message 4: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed Erwin As I said in my review, from the title I was expecting it to be like "Lies My Teacher Told Me," but it isn't. "Lies" is written for adults to fill in gaps and omissions from the history it assumes you've already learned. It is a series of unconnected anecdotes. "Miserable Presidents" tells a complete and connected story of the Civil War. It emphasizes some of the stuff that would be omitted from textbooks -- and he should know, since he has written for textbooks -- but it is a complete story.

Anyway, if you like "Lies", then yes, this would probably also appeal to you even though it is different.