Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > "Uncivil" podcast sheds light on racism in the US

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Emma wrote: "Hi OSS! I recently listened to the podcast "Uncivil" - a short series on history of the civil war. Instead of the kind of history of the civil war taught in school in the US, this is 100% the truth..."

Thanks for that podcast as in my history classes the Civil War wasn't even mentioned...

Austria really has shitty history classes...

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
To be fair... Outside of Napoleon, WWI, and WW2, I don't think I know much about Austrian history. So no sweat!

message 3: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments Haven't heard of that Podcast before, thanks for the mention.

MeerderWörter wrote: "Thanks for that podcast as in my history classes the Civil War wasn't even mentioned...

Austria really has shitty history classes..."

To be fair, the US Civil War hasn't had a lot of bearing on Europe; Prussia was a mostly silent supporter of the South and the War was for them mostly of interest in terms of observing tactics and advanced weapons technology, I guess.
England as US parent was more directly involved.

It is in my eyes a far greater neglect that we (at least in Germany) by and far completely ignore the Spanish Civil War and its ensuing Dictatorship as it had much impact on post war politics in Europe.