CUCC Reads discussion

Climate Church, Climate World: How People of Faith Must Work for Change
This topic is about Climate Church, Climate World
Climate Church - Week 4 > Week 4 - Question 2

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane EGS | 32 comments Mod
Antal – both in this book and in his time at CUCC – is clearly preparing churches for supporting members who choose to practice civil disobedience. At CUCC we have had members make this choice, and CUCC – both as individuals and from the pulpit – has been supportive in concrete ways. Is there anything we need to discuss about this? If you are not from CUCC, is there anything you want to ask?

message 2: by Jane (last edited Jun 25, 2018 03:27AM) (new)

Jane EGS | 32 comments Mod
Civil disobedience which breaks an unjust law makes sense to me. Ex. Sitting at a lunch counter where the law says I am not worthy to be. Civil disobedience which breaks an unrelated law, in order to draw attention to a cause doesn't have any appeal for me, though I am supportive of those who make this choice. Ex. chaining oneself to the White House fence or blocking the street in front of the NC legislature. Likewise, I have never felt compelled to participate in civil disobedience which is symbolic but won't actually prevent the thing I oppose (though, again, I stand with those who make this choice). Ex. pouring blood on a missile. Do any of you know of any stories of the first type in the US or around the world of civil disobedience of the first type connected to climate change?

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary Smith | 10 comments Thanks, Jane. Civil disobedience is a very interesting topic. I agree that sitting at the lunch counter is the easiest type to understand. Beyond that, it is tricky. I do think it can be effective. For example, when over 1000 people were arrested during summer 2013 Moral Mondays, people noticed. I don’t know how much it change things, but there was a lot media coverage, great solidarity and empowerment. Similarly, during the Keystone Pipeline protests, media came for the spectacle, and in the end this slowed the pipeline. On the other hand, one does get used to seeing CD, and it becomes less effective, if it is used too often. I think we may be coming to that point. I have not felt called to CD, so I am not sure how much my opinion matters, but there it is.

Skip Stoddard | 10 comments The kinds of monopolies that utility companies have and the control they exert on citizens actually is to me akin to an unjust law. For example, they should be required to buy back energy at the same cost they charge. Is going off the grid, in some sense, an act of civil disobedience?
One important factor that Antal introduce is the whole notion of private ownership of land/nature. I remember learning about the evolution of that. In the middle ages in Europe, land was not so much private, and thus was “for the common good.” As time passed, private ownership became more and more common. Eventually there was a need for parks. In fact, when the Land Odinance was passed in the 1780s, the land west of West Virginia was divided up and offered for sale. For every 36 Sections (comprising one Township), one Section was set aside specifically for schools, and thus could not be sold. There was apparently no other provision for public land. Later as the west was explored, the idea that it could all be privately owned alarmed folks like John Muir. I think this was basically the impetus for the National Parks.

Another thing is divestment have we really talked much about it?