CUCC Reads discussion

Climate Church, Climate World: How People of Faith Must Work for Change
This topic is about Climate Church, Climate World
Climate Church - Week 4 > Week 4 - Question 1

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane EGS | 32 comments Mod
Antal’s suggestions for public witness invite the church (and those in the church) to wade into complex decision-making at a personal cost. Choose one of the suggestions that intrigues you. What might your congregation do to help you sustain the work involved in the decision-making and to help you bear the cost?

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane EGS | 32 comments Mod
I find that I am made more courageous by hearing the stories of my friend's struggles and decisions to step outside their comfort zone into action. Succeeded, failed-but-tried, and failed-to-try are all transforming of my personal infrastructure. The more stories I hear, the more "normal" it becomes for me to act. For example, I know that I need to practice respect for those whose priorities and choices are different from mine ... to really listen to them, to seek shared values, to recognize them as beloved by God. The voice in my head isn't generally strong enough to alter my behavior, and I haven't even got the framing up to house a creative and loving disagreement. Mason's sermon had a profound impact on me... both because he articulated the value of a house built for respect and love, and he gave examples of what that might look like from his own life.

So, keep those stories coming, friends. Catch me in the hall, meet with me over coffee, send me an email, gather with me in small groups, chat with me at a protest, speak your truth from the pulpit.

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary Smith | 10 comments On page 145, Jim talks about gratitude and fear. He says that “fear that what we love will be destroyed is a powerful catalyst for action.” He then goes on to say, though, that “the most powerful motivators and sustainers of change are love and gratitude.”
I agree. fear can get you started, but too much fear is incapacitating. We must remember our love for Creation, communicate that and seek the support and love of our friends to sustain us and broaden the effort.

Skip Stoddard | 10 comments Regarding the role of fear: If Silent Spring eventually resulted in the banning of DDT, I am not sure how much part the prologue “A fable for tomorrow” played. It is pretty scary though, and got people’s attention. Is there a similar “fable” for climate change? I know there are numerous apocalyptic films and books, but I don’t know of any that have had any serious impact on public opinion. An Inconvenient Truth should have, but clearly did not.