Infinite Summer 2018 discussion

Infinite Jest
This topic is about Infinite Jest
Noteworthy quotes

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new) - added it

Adam (quartertonality) | 6 comments I figured it would be good for this group to have a place to collect noteworthy quotes, or just examples of great writing, or things that come across as genuinely funny, etc. from this book that we come across.

message 2: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex (aezell) | 7 comments "We witnessed something only marginally mammalian in there, sir." - pg. 15

I don't laugh out loud much at books but this line really tickled me in the whole opening scene with Hal and the college administrators. I'll be honest. The humor here is probably what's hooked me so far with this book. That it is both satirical but also slapstick is a wonderful combination for me.

message 3: by Marion (new)

Marion Heres | 3 comments Good idea. I only have to watch out not giving spoliers away as I am on GMT +2

Matthew Buchbinder | 11 comments “I do things like get in a taxi and say, ‘The library, and step on it.’” (12)

Matthew Buchbinder | 11 comments “I think of John N.R. Wayne, who would have won this year’s Whataburger, standing watch in a mask as Donald Gately and I did up my father’s head.” (16-17)

First timers - this quote makes absolutely no sense now but make a note to come back to this page when you’ve finished the book. At that point, let’s discuss.

message 6: by Marion (new)

Marion Heres | 3 comments The jet’s movement and trail seem incisionish, as if white meat behind the blue were exposed and widening in the wake of the blade.

Loved this line.

Michele | 2 comments Me too!

Marion wrote: "The jet’s movement and trail seem incisionish, as if white meat behind the blue were exposed and widening in the wake of the blade.

Loved this line."

Josh Mock (joshmock) | 17 comments Mod
p. 73:

When people call it that I always get pissed off because I always think depression sounds like you just get like really sad, you get quiet and melancholy and just like sit quietly by the window sighing or just lying around. A state of not caring about anything. A kind of blue kind of peaceful state… Everything gets horrible. Everything you see gets ugly. Lurid is the word. Doctor Garton said lurid, one time. That's the right word for it. And everything sounds harsh, spiny and harsh-sounding, like every sound you hear all of a sudden has teeth.

this one resonated powerfully with me. the idea of "every sound you hear all of a sudden has teeth" perfectly describes how I felt at moments in my life when I was acutely struggling with depression.

message 9: by Ada (new)

Ada | 1 comments And so is this sentence sort of alluded to by the word "incisionish"
:
"The issue whether the damaged even have interested wills is shallowly hashed out as some sort of ultra-mach fighter too high overhead to hear slices the sky from south to north" (16)

DFW is a poet per se.

Besides imaginative, his sentences are phonetically poetic as well:

e.g.
"the cracks in the venetian blinds
that ooze the violet nonlight of a night
with snow and just a hook of moon" (62)

almost iambic; 12 feet that could be grouped into a 3-line tetrameter; recurrent phonemes, /oo/, /ai/, /v/, /n/.

Marion wrote: "The jet’s movement and trail seem incisionish, as if white meat behind the blue were exposed and widening in the wake of the blade.

Loved this line."

Daniel Brown | 12 comments Not super poetic but the description of the O.N.A.N. herald really made me laugh.

"… a snarling full-front eagle with a broom and can of disinfectant in one claw and a Maple Leaf in the other and wearing a sombrero and appearing to have about half-eaten a swatch of star-studded cloth…"