What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Paranormal or Fantasy read in mid-1980's. Male main character discovers parallel/alternate world that's visible only from the edge/corner of your eye. Set in large city, possibly with subway/library/museum(?) scene.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mindo_the_great) | 16 comments I read this when I was MUCH younger. I believe it's set in New York. The main male character discovers that there's a parallel or alternate world and it's visible only out of the edge of your sight/corner of your eye. It reminded me of a sort of contemporary set fantasy adventure novel. That's as much as I can remember right now. I think it might have also had either a subway, library, or museum scene.

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments "Much younger" doesn't help much since don't know how old you are now. It could be 1970 for some people, and 2005 for others. Can you guess what decade it might have been when you read this? Thanks!

message 3: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments Sam wrote: ""Much younger" doesn't help much since don't know how old you are now. It could be 1970 for some people, and 2005 for others. Can you guess what decade it might have been when you read this? Thanks!"

It's in the title of the post - "mid 1980's"

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Didn't read carefully enough -- my bad!

message 5: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments This is a complete guess, but could it be one of the Amber books by Zelazny? The first is Nine Princes in Amber

message 6: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments Did you try this list for fantasy set in New York?

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 7: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mindo_the_great) | 16 comments Adele wrote: "This is a complete guess, but could it be one of the Amber books by Zelazny? The first is Nine Princes in Amber"

Unfortunately, it's not the Amber series by Mr. Zelazny.

message 8: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mindo_the_great) | 16 comments UPDATE: It may not be set in New York, but some large city and my brain substituted New York for it. The most distinct aspect of the book is that 'catching a glimpse' of the alternate/adjacent world from the corner of your eye. Hoping this will help trigger someone else's memory. I believe it may have been published in the mid 1980s and the cover may have had a lot of black or dark blue. Again, it's been eons since I read it. I do remember that I loaned it to a friend and then her family had a fire and it was lost, but her family was okay, so it was an acceptable loss.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
Mindy, I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it (without spoilers) using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 10: by Kris (last edited Aug 03, 2018 04:36PM) (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
Is this urban fantasy set in London possibly with a scene in the Tube (subway)? Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman comes to mind but I don't think it matches your just-out-of-sight description.

message 11: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mindo_the_great) | 16 comments Kris wrote: "Is this urban fantasy set in London possibly with a scene in the Tube (subway)? Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman comes to mind but I don't think it matches your just-out-of-s..."

Nope, it's not Neverwhere by Gaiman. This book is definitely from the mid to late 1980s. I do think it had a subway scene, but that could just be brain overload with details of hundreds of books through the years.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Neverwhere (other topics)
Nine Princes in Amber (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Neil Gaiman (other topics)