The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Television/Movie Mysteries > 19-2 - Canadian Crime Drama

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this series. It might just have been limited to Canadian TV so maybe not. The show is a cop drama set in Montreal, Quebec. Originally it aired in French in 2011, but in the past year, an English-language version was created and is being shown by Bravo and also Global or City I believe. It focuses on the lives of a group of police officers, with the main focus on the two policemen in Car 19-2 (hence the name). It's a very gritty show (in fact the episode the missus and I saw last night had us both cringing). It's very down - to - earth, well produced and very entertaining and, in my mind, must-see. I don't know what to compare it to, except maybe Southland, which I also enjoyed very much. I'm interested to see if anyone else has seen the show and what your thoughts might be.

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments I live in NY state near the Ontario, Canada border and get CBC out of Toronto on cable. I watch Murdoch mysteries, but have not seen Car 19-2

message 3: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Do you get Bravo maybe? It's on that...

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments I do get Bravo and will check it out. I liked Southland

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments Update. It is not on Bravo this week, but I did find it on another Toronto channel(CTV) and will record it, since it is on opposite "The Honourable Woman" on Sundance. It is a spy story set in the UK, about Israel-Palestine conflict and I recommend it. It is a UK production--may be on other channels if you don't get Sundance

message 6: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
I'll definitely keep an eye open for it, Thomas. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Garneau 19-2 was originally developed for French Canadian TV with Podz as a director.

Other networks picked up the show using the exact same plot and dialogues with approval from the original creative team to produce it in English.

I have not watched the latest version, but Season 3 is coming in January 2015 on french networks and many people around here would agree it's one of the best tv show ever produced in our parts of the country.

message 8: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
I've definitely enjoyed it so far, Alex, the English version that is. It's quite unique.

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments I was only able to watch one episode. It hasn't been on since. I am having trouble catching up w plot lines

message 10: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
It is a series that's best seen from episode one through the next as there are ongoing plotlines.

message 11: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Bravo Canada just showed the first episode of Season 2. What to say but Wow!. Very strong subject matter, which may not be for everybody, but so well filmed and acted. They had no commercials to ensure that we could feel the whole impact. Didn't realize I wasn't breathing until the very end. I hope it makes it to the US, so you can get the feel of an excellent show.

message 12: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments It is not on Bravo US. I will look for it on CTV

message 13: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
I just checked, it seems that CTV.ca is showing it. The first episode of the new season starts off with a school shooting, very hard to watch, but if you can, it's powerful, realistic and superbly filmed.

message 14: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments CTV out of Toronto is not showing it this week. BTW, The Honorable Woman showed on CBC this past fall

message 15: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
I watched the first couple of episodes of The Honourable Woman. I had trouble following what actually was going on and other shows became more of a priority. I should try it again, I guess. Did you enjoy?

message 16: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments Yes, I did enjoy it. It was difficult to follow and the only good guys were the Brits(surprise!!--UK production).

message 17: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Nice for a change, Thomas. It seems that normally they use the Brits for bad guys. It irritates my wife somewhat.. ;)