What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/Adult? Sci Fi. Man (astronaut/space soldier/spy?) wakes up alone with amnesia, has some sort of computer watch that helps him. Cover: a watch. Read late 1980's/early 1990's.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pete (new)

Pete | 4 comments in the late 80's/early 90s I was given a book ( I was about 14 so may have been young adult fiction). It was a sci-fi/maybe dystopian novel. The character had a watch that was a computer watch. The watch was significant part of the plot/novel - watch may have been evil or highly needed and character lost/broke it maybe. It could have been adult book too as I was advanced reader. The cover even had a watch on it from memory.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jun 28, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
A long shot - The Girl, the Gold Watch & Everything by John D. MacDonald? Any similarities with this book?

message 3: by Pete (new)

Pete | 4 comments sorry, it's not that one but thanks for trying.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Can you tell us more about the watch - what did the watch do, its appearance, size, how did the main character obtain it, who made it, etc.? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler.)

message 5: by Pete (new)

Pete | 4 comments Kris wrote: "Can you tell us more about the watch - what did the watch do, its appearance, size, how did the main character obtain it, who made it, etc.? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before..."

it had a picture of the watch on the cover and may have had the fluro blue grid lines in background which was common for"hi tech/sci fi" stuff in that era. The watch may have had red/orange colours. Think 80s/90s colour/promo material.

oh, the character may have had amnesia. He woke up or something. The watch was a piece of the puzzle or helped him in someways.

that's about all I remember.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Is it one of the books on this list?

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Pete is still looking for this and wrote:

"In late 80s as a 10/11 year old boy I got a book that I am now searching for but cant remember title. It may have been a young adult/youth book or adult novel. Here it goes: An astronaught/space soldider/spy wakes up with amneisa or some sort of confusion/lost memory. He has some sort of watch that is like a computer watch/sentience that he uses to help solve his mystery. It may have been set on earth or another planet.

The cover from memory had typical 80s style about it. It may have had blue neon grid and picture of watch on cover.It may have been written in late 80s and I got it as it was a new book or possible written much earlier.

Long shot, but wonder if anyone has any suggesstions? I dont think it was a 'famous' or well known book or from famous author but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance."

message 8: by Kris (new)

Where does he wake (e.g., spaceship, hospital, prison cell, bedroom, alley, field)? Is he alone?

Is there time travel?

message 9: by Pete (new)

Pete | 4 comments Hello
He woke up alone. And I think he just woke up in a room. No time travel though.

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Do you think it was an Australian book?

Was the MC a grown man or a teenage boy?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl, the Gold Watch & Everything (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John D. MacDonald (other topics)