CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > w/o June 22 to 28, 2018

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3567 comments Mod
Greetings readers,

Last night (Thursday) was the longest night of the year. Did you get any additional reading done?

As we wrap up June, how is the group read of Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada coming? It is an important book with lots of helpful insights.

what have you been reading this week? what is next?

I will end with a thought that Dr. Brian Goldman ([book:The Power of Kindness: Why Empathy Is Essential in Everyday Life|35068937 and CBC host of White Coat Black Art) share tonight which was that "kindness is contagious" ... so true and I am thankful for this group, that shares their love of reading, book suggestions and even sends books through the Secret Reader thread!

Have a great day and consider a random act of kindness and posting it here to inspire the rest of us!!! One random act of kindness can make a difference, inspire others and make a difference like a ripple in a pond!!

message 2: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Jun 22, 2018 04:13AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments Good morning folks! I have an exciting literary-infused day ahead. My mom friends and I do a kids book club from time to time and tonight we are having a backyard fire/outdoor movie night. We are watching A Wrinkle in Time. I still have a chapter and a half left to read with the kids due to having a cold all week and my voice not being at its best. I'm also hosting, so I'm off work today to set up the backyard and shop for snacks and such. Unfortunately, timing this so close to the summer solstice means it will be a bit late getting dark and we can't start the movie on the projector until then.

In reading this week, I finished The Birth House and Chase, a middle grade novel, which I read because I received an ARC of the second in the series. Linwood Barclay is Kobo's author of the month for June so I snagged Chase for $1.99. It was actually pretty good. I think the boys in our lives would enjoy it for sure. I also listened to The Favorite Sister, which was so nasty and fun! I am now listening to Tom Hanks' short story collection, Uncommon Type: Some Stories, and it's quite good as well.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 743 comments Happy Friday!

Good luck with your book club party, Allison - it sounds like fun!

This week I finished All the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire, which was great, and Some Hope, which was just okay. This third Patrick Melrose novel was a bit dull, but the next in the series was nominated for the Booker so I'm sure things will turn around.

I've picked up The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America again and am also reading Suddenly. I'm using Suddenly for bingo square O2, author who has died recently, but it would also fit in G5, book that deals with death or dying. The jacket copy on this book is vague, so I didn't realize it's about a woman who is dying (not a spoiler) and might not have picked it right now if I'd known.

message 4: by Natasha (last edited Jun 22, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments Hello everyone. Happy Friday and Happy Summer. I have had a very unproductive week in terms of reading. Okay, make that two weeks. I'm LOVING but finding very little time to progress with By Gaslight. I'll see how the weekend goes. I'm also itching to get back to The Death Of Donna Whalen, which is a well done, but a disconcerting read for me since I remember the real murder and subsequent fallout so well.

After that...who knows? I'm finishing up a second job that has been taking up a lot of my time, and I'm exhausted. Hence the lack of focus and concentration for reading. That job ends Thursday, so I'm hoping once I catch up on some sleep, I'll make more progress on the literary front.

message 5: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Happy summer to all.

@Susan, thank you for reminding us of the value of kindness. It's been on my mind, having just finished Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada which left me overwhelmed. So glad I read it and so thankful to the group for recommending it.

@ Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ your backyard book club/movie night sounds wonderful! Can I come too?

To mark National Indigenous Peoples Day yesterday I also read Joseph Boyd's heartbreaking Wenjack and during yet another bout of insomia listened to half of The Italian Teacher which I'm enjoying very much so far.

Finally, I skim-read Natural Causes: An Epidemic of Wellness, the Certainty of Dying, and Killing Ourselves to Live Longer...it was a good choice for a week that included 5 different routine doctor's appointments/medical procedures.

Now I hope to join Natasha in catching up on some sleep.

message 6: by Mj (last edited Jun 28, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Mj @ Natasha - good luck with your sleep. More reading will come in time. Be sure to take care of yourself.
@ Story Heart - same goes for you. Sleep well and hopefully your tests will lead to a healthy resolution.
@ Meghan - hope your new job is going well and your fibromyalgia is being kept in check. I empathize with how debilitating this disease can be.
@ ❀ Susan - thanks for the kindness reminder. I agree that there can never be too much kindness in the world. Paying it forward is such a wonderful concept and so easy to do.

I consider myself fortunate and am grateful for my blessings. Though not always the case, last week, I had lots of REM sleep and pleasurable reading.

I finished Margaret Atwood's collection of poetry Morning in the Burned House. What an amazing writer and wide ranging collection on various topics - each poem was very real and kept my interest.

I put Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada down for a bit but did read another book for June's Aboriginal Reads month. I read The Girl Who Grew a Galaxy by Metis author Cherie Dimaline who has recently made headlines with The Marrow Thieves winning a 2017 Governor General’s Award one day and the next day winning the prestigious $50,000 (U.S.) Kirkus Prize. The Girl Who Grew a Galaxy is a story about a young native girl, named Ruby, who experiences a lot of loss and pain at a young age and is far too hard on herself and doesn’t reach out for help. The writing is good, the characters quirky and Dimaline uses great imagination and a unique style to tell Ruby’s story.

I also read Essex County (the collection of all 3 books plus additional materials) by Jeff Lemire. Lemire tells a very moving story with few words of text and his black line art. I was surprised by how many of my emotions he was evoked using the graphic novel format. Lemire’s graphics definitely amped up the feelings and story telling expressed in words.

This weekend and next week I hope to focus again on Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada and join in June's Group Monthly discussion. I also have a few Bingo books in hand to read.

message 7: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Happy Friday and Happy Summer everyone!

For the past week, I managed to finish Americanah, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and The Weight of Silence in paper. Starting Looking for Alaska and The Count of Monte Cristo for PBS's Great American Read and The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row in audio (Oprah's current pick), that came through the library.
Also, have This is How It Always Is for my in-person book club lined up after and looking forward to reading The Sisters Brothers for next month.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments Sure thing @Storyheart, but NL may be a bit out of your way!

message 9: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ that sounds so fun for the kids!!

@MJ - a diverse selection!

@May - wow! that is a lot of reading!

I have had another slow reading week. I finished listening to The Story Girl as I read through more stories by L.M. Montgomery and finished The Breadwinner by local author Deborah Ellis. It was a YA book about a young girl, disguising herself as a boy living in Afghanistan to support her family. It tells an important story for young people and makes one appreciate living in Canada.

I need to start Cat's Eye for book club, finish Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada and really want to read The Power of Kindness: Why Empathy Is Essential in Everyday Life after meeting Dr. Brian Goldman last night. He was VERY inspiring speaking about kindness in general and the importance of kindness for health professionals.

message 10: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments @May - wow! that is a lot of reading!

I have had another slow reading week. I finished listening to [..."

@Susan, I might have taken on a few books, but I plan to read [book:The Count of Monte Cristo|16148750] slowly, as this will my first time reading this classics!
Happy to hear you had an enjoyable event with Dr. Goldman!

message 11: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 644 comments @May. Count of Monte Cristo is fantastic. One of my favs.

@Susan i have The Powe of Kindness My girlfriend Colleen who you met at lunch in TO in March gave me an ARC. Will have to bump it up on my TBR pile.

message 12: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 207 comments I just read another self-published book that is not listed on Goodreads. And I have also read a couple of unpublished novels on behalf of other authors. Does anyone have a similar experience? It's hard to meet my reading goals when some books don't "count."

message 13: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 207 comments No reading today, because I am off to a wedding at the gorgeous Banff Springs Hotel! It should be a once-in-a-lifetime experience! I'll post photos on IG and Facebook.

message 14: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 644 comments Elinor wrote: "I just read another self-published book that is not listed on Goodreads. And I have also read a couple of unpublished novels on behalf of other authors. Does anyone have a similar experience? It's ..."

You should be able to able to add the book details or have an admin add them on the site

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Stobbe Elinor wrote: "I just read another self-published book that is not listed on Goodreads. And I have also read a couple of unpublished novels on behalf of other authors. Does anyone have a similar experience? It's ..."

Yes, I can totally relate! When I'm not writing my own stuff, I do copy editing for StoryShopUSA as well as freelance editing for various clients, so most of what I read is not yet published, doesn't "count" for Goodreads, and can't be added to the Goodreads database either! When I have "free" time, I don't always feel like reading published material, because sometimes I need a breather from all the words. So I often find myself playing Words With Friends. Lol! (Confessions of a Word Junkie.)

message 16: by Rainey (last edited Jun 23, 2018 10:40AM) (new)

Rainey | 644 comments I am positive i have added a book to goodreads.

Hmmm can u post the title author publisher, page count and ISBN.

Gonna give it a try.

message 17: by Mj (last edited Jun 23, 2018 01:08PM) (new)

Mj Good idea Rainey. I've added books to Goodreads before for self-published authors or an isbn I was readubg that hadn't been added yet. It's helpful to have a reference to a website so can get a picture of the book cover, book description and other book info as well. Feel free to let me know if I can be of any assistance.

message 18: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 207 comments Mj wrote: "Good idea Rainey. I've added books to Goodreads before for self-published authors or an isbn I was readubg that hadn't been added yet. It's helpful to have a reference to a website so can get a pic..."

Thanks for the input. I have added other editions (mostly older) into the Goodreads collection, but not self-published books. I'll ask the authors to do it themselves.

message 19: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 428 comments Hey everybody, was off to the family cottage this weekend, unplugged.
I managed to listed to Emma Donoghue collection of short stories Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins which is a retelling of fairytales with a very feminist slant to them. Quite simple on the surface, but has manyt layers of messages underlying the tales.

I am reading Impossible Views of the World, I had won the ARC in a giveaway last summer, and never gotten around to it. It is hard to get into, but sticking with it, it gets better about halfway through.

message 20: by ❀ Susan (new)

Unplugging sounds awesome!!

message 21: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 158 comments Hey guys! Sorry I have been so silent lately. Busy school year combined with busy work time. I also blame the GR app! I am reading, but I don't like writing updates here on my phone bc I can't link anything - silly I know... but I do read your updates! You're all reading such great works! When on my laptop I'm working so I forget to log in here to write! But hello anyways!!

Just finished In the Skin of a Lion this week -- I adored it! A checkmark for the Canada Reads challenge as it was the very first winner. Beautifully written novel and a very engaging perspective of the building of Toronto.

heading up north camping for early July and plan to unplug but I have stowed Can lit books for the trip, with indigenous themes as we will be exploring some of that culture when away:
The Back of the Turtle , The Never-Ending Present: The Story of Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip, The Englishman's Boy.

Also - have lucked out with the CD/ audiobook of the first 2 in the Harry Potter series for the long drive w kids. MY eldest has read the whole series and I have meant to. I'm looking forward to that.

Talk soon!

message 22: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 158 comments Oh -- and @may I finished up The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian this month too with my son. Then my daughter hosted 8 friends that read it for a book club last week -- it was amazing to listen to these insightful 12/13 yr olds discuss the book. I loved the book and adored their thoughtful discussion -- this generation is much more aware and in tune to racism and the realities of first nation plights.

message 23: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Ann-Marie wrote: "Oh -- and @may I finished up The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian this month too with my son. Then my daughter hosted 8 friends that read it for a book club last week -- it..."
@Ann-Marie, your positive review was what drove me to read it and I enjoyed it, as it is on my older son's bookshelf (he read it years ago). I am now passing on to my colleague's 12 year old daughter :)