Art Lovers discussion

16 views

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Simon Schama is not only an author, but a dedicated scholar of art. I haven't read anything written by him but I have seen some of his documentaries, and I believe he can be included in this thread.

His BBC series Power of Art first broadcast in 2006 covered several major artists including Caravaggio, Bernini, David, Turner and Van Gogh among others.

Here is a sample of one of his documentaries:

Caravaggio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX_KW...

Also, an interview with Simon Schama on making the Power of Art series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ9Xo...


message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Heather wrote: "Simon Schama is not only an author, but a dedicated scholar of art. I haven't read anything written by him but I have seen some of his documentaries, and I believe he can be included in this thread..."'

No question but that he should be included! I absolutely loved "The Face of Britain: The Nation Through Its Portraits." I am still slogging through "Landscape as Memory." If any of you are watching the current BBC series "Civilizations," he's a prominent presence.

I find the books that often offer me the most insight into art and art history are books that frequently fall into the "creative nonfiction" category.

I also keep a running list of books (including some fiction) that I think my students might find enjoyable. Traditional art history writing can be pretty dry stuff--even for those of us who are art historians.


message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Ellen wrote: "I also keep a running list of books (including some fiction) that I think my students might find enjoyable. Traditional art history writing can be pretty dry stuff--even for those of us who are art historians. "

So you are an art (or Humanities in general) professor? No wonder you know so much!

It is neat how you keep a running list of books that your students might find enjoyable.

We have a folder dedicated to Book Suggestions and Reviews. Would you mind posting some of the books on your list that you have contrived? And maybe a bit of a review or preface to each book you list? I think that would be interesting, at least I would be interested to know about more books out there, especially with some background of what the book is about.
Here is the link to that folder:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...


message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Yup. I teach art history (adjunct professor) at Maryland Institute College of Art. Before that I was an art museum educator. And now that we are in our dotage, my husband and I like to travel and travel always means museums and art things in general (gardens, historic homes, architecture).

Be happy to post some books, particularly more recent ones. And a few faves from a while back. Is there a way to link those listing to the longer discussion I do when I add an item to "My Books"? (Trying to read 50 books this year and I'm falling a bit behind.)


message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Do you mean link what you post in this folder to your reviews of the books you are reading this year? I'm not sure I understand your question.


message 6: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments I guess that's what I mean. So if I recommend a book for our group, can I somehow direct the group member reading that post to my My Books list where I have a more lengthy review. Don't want to burden our friends, just offer a teaser. As a technophobe and someone generally incompetent in things digital, that's about the clearest I can explain it.


message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Ellen wrote: "I guess that's what I mean. So if I recommend a book for our group, can I somehow direct the group member reading that post to my My Books list where I have a more lengthy review. Don't want to bur..."

Maybe someone has a better idea, but the only thing I can think of is copying the link at the top of your review and posting it under the book you list here in the group and people can click on that link and be directed to your reviews.

Anyone have any other ideas?


message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom Kay | 7 comments MY New Fine Art Book
JEAN-MICHEL BASQUIAT
My Friend SAMO Late 1970-80s
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...


message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Tom wrote: "MY New Fine Art Book
JEAN-MICHEL BASQUIAT
My Friend SAMO Late 1970-80s
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6..."


Hi Tom!
Thank you for posting about your book! You might get more views for your book (if you haven't already) in the folder "Show us your written Art" https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...
Just a suggestion.


back to top