Di & D Reading Group discussion

Book 3: Hoax > Best Hoax?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian (fiddleback) Tell me what your favorite Hoax is in the book.

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 43 comments I guess I should start reading it, then, eh?
That'll be easier, now that I've finished Surf Ninjas.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian (fiddleback) Oh good. I mean, that IS sort of the point.
Leslie wrote: "I guess I should start reading it, then, eh?
That'll be easier, now that I've finished Surf Ninjas."

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 43 comments Technicalities, technicalities.

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian (fiddleback) Personally, I liked Franz Kreisler.

message 6: by G (new)

G R | 2 comments Not quite done yet, but I'm liking "The Man Who Never Was", with the guy who sold the Eiffel Tower a solid 2nd.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 43 comments I like the violinist/compser dude, but am not done yet.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 43 comments Which, I note, having remembered his name, has been mentioned...

message 9: by John (new)

John Cousen | 6 comments A fun read, in some places it reminded me of certain episodes of GM Word of the Week, though that tends to give more detail.
As is usually the case with this kind of book, the cases one knows about can seem rushed and missing in details, the others lead one to read more around the subject.
I'd probably vote for the Man Who Never Was, a fascinating story, (and my parents were friends of the Montagues ). Close second is the mounds, which had me rereading some of the Lovecraft collaborations.

message 10: by Sean (new)

Sean Laurvick (mastershizzle) | 4 comments Finished today. My favorite has got to be the one on Vaccines and Autism, but it was close. As a mathematician, I get a chuckle reading about any people who know jack squat about statistics, but use them anyway.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian (fiddleback) We're going to have a special guest to discuss this book with me next week.

Should be fun.

message 12: by G (new)

G R | 2 comments Sean wrote: "Finished today. My favorite has got to be the one on Vaccines and Autism, but it was close. As a mathematician, I get a chuckle reading about any people who know jack squat about statistics, but us..."

That could never be my favorite because it's mean and selfish and cruel. I'll grant that it might be the most important, but for a favorite I want something that doesn't make me hate humanity.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan | 5 comments I'm going to miss out on this one. I have to read so much for my thesis on digitalilzation of tabletop rpgs that I don't read for fun afterwards :/

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 43 comments I remember school stealing my brain. I almost miss it. I do miss it. But still, you'll have a thesis at the end of this. I think it'll be okay! Good luck!

message 15: by Nitsua60 (new)

Nitsua60 | 11 comments Didn't read it (my local library couldn't (!?) get a copy), and after listening I'm glad I didn't. But I did want to say that

1. Leslie was great, and if my opinion's worth anything feel free to have them back on any time;
2. listening to you two was still enjoyable, even if it sounds like the book wasn't. In other words, the *podcast* is still great, even if/when the book isn't.

Looking forward to the vampire accountant. Because we can see the pattern developing: even-numbered book choices are home runs =)

Until they're not: https://www.xkcd.com/1122/

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian (fiddleback) I'm sure Leslie will be happy to read your comments about her. :)