Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2)
This topic is about Paper and Fire
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Caine, Rachel--Paper and Fire informal buddy read starts June 27, 2018

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine.

Synopsis
With an iron fist, the Great Library controls the knowledge of the world, ruthlessly stamping out all rebellion and, in the name of the greater good, forbidding the personal ownership of books.

Jess Brightwell has survived his introduction to the sinister, seductive world of the Library, but serving in its army is nothing like he envisioned. His life and the lives of those he cares for have been altered forever. His best friend is lost, and Morgan, the girl he loves, is locked away in the Iron Tower, doomed to a life apart from everything she knows.

After embarking on a mission to save one of their own, Jess and his band of allies make one wrong move and suddenly find themselves hunted by the Library’s deadly automata and forced to flee Alexandria, all the way to London.

But Jess’s home isn’t safe anymore. The Welsh army is coming, London is burning, and soon, Jess must choose between his friends, his family, and the Library, which is willing to sacrifice anything and anyone in the search for ultimate control…

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I will be joining in for Team Tonks.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope to start on this book tomorrow.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Just started and read the first Ephemera. (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Sorry I'm late. I ended up subbing into quidditch more than expected. I'll get started this afternoon.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Deanna wrote: "Sorry I'm late. I ended up subbing into quidditch more than expected. I'll get started this afternoon."

No problem, I got tied up with Quidditch too! Trying to get caught up on all my buddy reads now.

Deanna | 2966 comments Finished the first four chapters today.

Thomas - (view spoiler)

Wolfe - (view spoiler)

Morgan - (view spoiler)

Jess - (view spoiler)

I have several buddy reads beginning this week. My plan is to read four chapters a day. I'm happy to keep hanging out to chat if you need a bit more time to fit the book in.

Deanna | 2966 comments Chapters 5 - 8

Dario - (view spoiler)

Thomas - (view spoiler)

The automata - (view spoiler)

Morgan - (view spoiler)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished chapters 1-4. (view spoiler)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Deanna wrote: "Finished the first four chapters today.

Thomas - [spoilers removed]

Wolfe - [spoilers removed]

Morgan - [spoilers removed]

Jess - [spoilers removed]

I have several buddy reads beginning this w..."

Ditto regarding Thomas. And yes, Jess has still got those skills!

Deanna | 2966 comments Talia wrote: "I finished chapters 1-4. [spoilers removed]"

Morgan does seem like the type to rescue herself. I laughed at the ephemera telling all the trouble she got into.

Deanna | 2966 comments Chapters 9 - 12

Thomas - (view spoiler)

Jess - (view spoiler)

Morgan - (view spoiler)

Santi and Wolfe - (view spoiler)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapters 5-8

Dario (view spoiler)

Morgan (view spoiler)

Wolfe (view spoiler)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Deanna wrote: "Chapters 5 - 8

Dario - [spoilers removed]

The automata - [spoilers removed]

Morgan - [spoilers removed]"

Regarding the automata, (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Talia wrote: "Chapters 5-8

Dario [spoilers removed]

Morgan [spoilers removed]

Wolfe [spoilers removed]"

Morgan is definitely (view spoiler)

Wolfe - (view spoiler)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Deanna wrote: "Chapters 9 - 12

Jess - [spoilers removed]

Morgan - [spoilers removed]

Santi and Wolfe - [spoilers removed]"

Wow, this was an exciting section! (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Finished!

The Black Archives - (view spoiler)

Dario - (view spoiler)

Burners - (view spoiler)

Jess' family - (view spoiler)

Morgan - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Would you be interested in BR Ash and Quill as well? I don't have a preference for dates if you are.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Deanna wrote: "Would you be interested in BR Ash and Quill as well? I don't have a preference for dates if you are."

Yes but I am on hold at the library for this next book. I’ll let you know when I get a copy. I should be finishing up Paper and Fire today.

Deanna | 2966 comments Talia wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Would you be interested in BR Ash and Quill as well? I don't have a preference for dates if you are."

Yes but I am on hold at the library for this next book. I’ll let you know when ..."

Sounds good. I can pick up the next one on Saturday, so anytime after works for me.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Deanna wrote: "Finished!

The Black Archives - [spoilers removed]

Dario - [spoilers removed]

Burners - [spoilers removed]

Jess' family - [spoilers removed]

Morgan - [spoilers removed]"

Finished. Good point about the Black Archives. (view spoiler)

Dario (view spoiler)

This whole story does feel a bit dragged out. Two more books! I hope book #4 is the last one. (view spoiler)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Deanna wrote: "Talia wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Would you be interested in BR Ash and Quill as well? I don't have a preference for dates if you are."

Yes but I am on hold at the library for this next book. I’ll let ..."

Deanna, I'm picking up Ash and Quill on Monday. I saw that we're both planning on reading Honor Among Thieves possibly next week, so how about starting Ash and Quill on Wed., 7/11?

Deanna | 2966 comments Talia wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Talia wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Would you be interested in BR Ash and Quill as well? I don't have a preference for dates if you are."

Yes but I am on hold at the library for this next ..."

That works for me. I'll put the request on the BR board.

message 26: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) I love this series! One of my favorite aspect is the unlikely friendships that were formed in the first book and how they have endured and become so much more. (view spoiler)
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that Jess's father is exactly how he has been described. Thankfully Brendan loves his brother and cares what happens.

Deanna | 2966 comments Frau was awesome. I hope they find another automata in the third book.

message 28: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments So I started today and am making my self stop part of the way into chapter 9 since it is late. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Lexi wrote: "So I started today and am making my self stop part of the way into chapter 9 since it is late. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Lexi (last edited Jul 30, 2018 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments Thanks for responding. I just finished. (view spoiler)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Lexi wrote: "Thanks for responding. I just finished. [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, that ending was sort of like (view spoiler)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1202 comments I've been on vacation but managed to fit in finishing this one.

I was a little hesitant because while I liked the first book I didn't love it. But this was actually a really entertaining installment. (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Paper and Fire (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Caine (other topics)