Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Winner Chosen - Group Read for September 2014 (Polls Closed)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments Well, it's that time again.

What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to read in September?

Two nominations to a person.

I'll take nominations for a few days, and then open a poll to pick the winner.

message 2: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Casas | 68 comments TUDOR. By Leanda de Lisle.

GEORGE BOLEYN. By Claire Ridgway and Claire Cherry.

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Aug 02, 2014 05:50AM) (new)

Barbara Kyle I'd be thrilled for the group to read The Queen's Lady (Thornleigh, #1) by Barbara Kyle The Queen's Lady by Barbara Kyle. My blog post "For Sale: Rich Orphans - the Tudor Court of Wards" reveals the surprising facts that sparked this novel: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 19 comments The Sisters Who Would be Queen by Leanda de Lisle

message 5: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) The Dark Rose
or
In honor of September being Elizabeth I's birthday Legacy

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) I nominate Legacy by Susan Kay and my second nomination is Tudor by Leanda de Lisle

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments Athena already nominated Tudor: The Family Story - do you want to nominate anything else, Sue?

message 8: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 66 comments The Queen's Governess by Karen Harper - about Kat Ashley, Governess of Elizabeth I and/or The Queen of Last Hopes: The Story of Margaret of Anjou by Susan Higginbotham.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Roper (fig_and_thistle_books) | 4 comments I'd like to nominate I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles

message 10: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (JaneStJohn) | 3 comments I nominate I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments Isn't Margaret of Anjou a little early for a Tudor book?

I, Elizabeth - I liked that one.

message 12: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 72 comments Well, I've just ordered Dear Heart, How Like You This?, by Wendy J. Dunn. It should be interesting...

message 13: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 106 comments I've got De Lisle's Tudor book out from the library right now, so I'll be jumping the gun on the September read (if it is selected)

Tudor The Family Story by Leanda de Lisle

message 14: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Knowlton (lex1893) Not sure if this group may have already read this book as I'm only new... But I'd like to nominate The Constant Princess (The Tudor Court #1) by Philippa Gregory.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 15: by Elena (new)

Elena | 73 comments I'm in a Elizabeth I mood, so I nominate The Life of Elizabeth I and Young Bess.

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) Apologies if this one has come up before - like Alexandra I'm new and there seems to have been Alison Weir books as Group Reads before but I'd like to nominate Innocent Traitor if that's Ok

message 17: by Helene (new)

Helene Harrison (tudorblogger) I nominate House Of Treason: The Rise And Fall Of A Tudor Dynasty by Robert Hutchinson and Tudor Queens of England by David Loades.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments I don't think we've read PG (certainly not this year), and we've read several books by Alison Weir (both fiction and non-fiction), but not Innocent Traitor.

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo March | 22 comments Seconding Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1) by Margaret Irwin . I've been wanting to reread Irwin's trilogy for awhile, and Elizabeth's birth month is a great time to start!

message 20: by Kimber (last edited Aug 02, 2014 12:01PM) (new)

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 66 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Isn't Margaret of Anjou a little early for a Tudor book?

I, Elizabeth - I liked that one."

It is but the situation led directly to the Tudor dynasty. Wanted to nominate Venus in Winter by Bagwell but someone beat me to it. :D
Both Innocent Traitor by Weir and I, Elizabeth by Miles are great books. Oh...Has the group read Wolf Hall yet??

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments We have not read Wolf Hall as a group, no.

message 22: by happy (last edited Aug 02, 2014 10:06PM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 106 comments Pamela wrote: "Apologies if this one has come up before - like Alexandra I'm new and there seems to have been Alison Weir books as Group Reads before but I'd like to nominate Innocent Traitor if tha..."

I read it some time ago, but IMO Innocent Traitor is Weir's best novel.

message 23: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 03, 2014 07:54AM) (new)

Tiffany Day | 71 comments I loved Innocent Traitor - great book if you haven't read it. I think it might be my favorite of her fiction, too. ...and Wolf Hall is simply one of the best books I've ever read (couldn't get into the follow-up, yet, though - will return to it sometime)

I've started Legacy at least twice, and never gotten far with it... not sure why - probably distraction... and the length is a commitment. lol When you have shelves and stacks of TBRs, it seems like the longer ones get set aside (at least for me) -- but I definitely plan to return to it sometime. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it.

message 24: by Odette (new)

Odette (odman) I read Innocent Traitor recently which I thought was very good.
I would like to nominate another Alison Weir book, which I have on my to be read list and think follows on from Innocent Traitor.

The Lady Elizabeth The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir by Alison Weir.

Another book on my list is Mistress to the Crown Mistress to the Crown by Isolde Martyn by Isolde Martyn.
Though this may be a little early for the tudor period

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 91 comments A few books have been mentioned that I have waiting on my shelf! Looks like it will be a good month :-)

message 26: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighbailey) Odette wrote: "I read Innocent Traitor recently which I thought was very good.
I would like to nominate another Alison Weir book, which I have on my to be read list and"

I like both your nominations Odette.

I second - The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir.
My #2 Nomination - The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner

message 27: by Ingibjörg (new)

Ingibjörg (ingaflakkari) | 11 comments Suggestion number 1: Tudor-the family story by Leanda de Lisle
Suggestion number 2: VIII by H. M. Castor

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments Alright, that looks like plenty of nominations - I'll close them, and start a poll.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments The poll is here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... , or on the bottom of the group's front page, just over the photograph section.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments There was a tie at the top, between The Sisters Who Would Be Queen and Wolf Hall - so I'll start a runoff poll.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments The runoff poll is here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... or on the bottom of the group's home page.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1959 comments And the winner: The Sisters Who Would Be Queen, by Leanda de Lisle.