Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about Ruin and Rising
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Ruin and Rising [Nov 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
November 10th.

Narilka | 3391 comments I'm starting this one tonight :D

message 4: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments Narilka wrote: "I'm starting this one tonight :D"

Do it! Ignore the startdate :D

Narilka | 3391 comments Start dates are for wimps ;)

Narilka | 3391 comments I peeked into the book on a break. That dedication sounds ominous. Speculation (view spoiler)

message 7: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments I'll likely be late again... a.) because I havend finished book 2 yet and b.) because I'm next in line for book 3, but I don't know when I'll get it...

Narilka | 3391 comments Through Ch 4 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3391 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I'll likely be late again... a.) because I havend finished book 2 yet and b.) because I'm next in line for book 3, but I don't know when I'll get it..."

Join when you can. Start dates are more like... guidelines :D

Narilka | 3391 comments Part way through Ch 9 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3391 comments Ch 9 (view spoiler)

Ch 11 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3391 comments I finished. I really enjoyed that ending and can't wait for everyone to catch up :) Bardugo surprised me.

Major spoilers (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I probably won't get to this one in time. Some stuff came up and I'm now waaay behind on all my buddy reads and have to cancel a few of them 🙈

Kathrine | 1246 comments I'll probably also be late... Got heaps of schoolwork to do :(

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments Don't worry about it!

I'm late, but will make a start this week. :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm very late to the party! Read the prologue (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 2 finished! (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments You're really not that late! XD
You're the second person to start! I'll start now :)

Andorion (ruineleint) Charlie wrote: "Chapter 2 finished! [spoilers removed]"

Yes! I am so glad this got resolved early. I was dreading that (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Chapter 2 finished! [spoilers removed]"

Yes! I am so glad this got resolved early. I was dreading that [spoilers removed]"

I think she should have (view spoiler)

Also, RE Mal and tracking: (view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) 15 chapters in.

@ Charlie You are totally right, she should have done exactly that.

Ok so at the moment my chief thought is WTF? (view spoiler)

Also Mal (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I just stupidly clicked on your spoilers Arkadeb and now I'm confused. My brain is trying to delete them.

Andorion (ruineleint) Urm.. The first one isn't too bad, the second one is definitely confusing

Narilka | 3391 comments Charlie wrote: "I just stupidly clicked on your spoilers Arkadeb and now I'm confused. My brain is trying to delete them."

Oops, that was a major spoiler :)

Arkadeb wrote: "15 chapters in..."

About Mal (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 2 finished! [spoilers removed]"

Arkadeb wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Chapter 2 finished! [spoilers removed]"

Yes! I am so glad this got resolved early. I was dreading that [spoilers removed]"

I really liked that too. I was dreading that being the ongoing theme...

Elinor | 1548 comments I will start it today !

message 27: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "I will start it today !"

Me too! :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments Woohoo! :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments Chapter 5 - (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 5 - [spoilers removed]"

I agree. I was really surprised she just let it happen. She's really an idiot sometimes.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Also, favourite quote of the moment Chapter 5/6 I think (view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) Finished.

Overall I liked this book a lot more than any of the previous ones.

(view spoiler)

But, if anyone here has not read Six of Crows, please please read it. The author really upped her game there.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 7. Way to go Nikolai!! (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Charlie wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 5 - [spoilers removed]"

I agree. I was really surprised she just let it happen. She's really an idiot sometimes."

Not up to chapter 5 but I'm sure I agree on her being an idiot sometimes ;p

Kathrine | 1246 comments Alright, practically blasted through this and haven't even gotten to write down any thoughts.

Overall, I liked this more than the first two. 4/5 stars (view spoiler)

I'm debating re-reading Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom, because I feel like they had a lot of references to Alina's story that I missed

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm about half way through I think. The last 2 chapters were fantastic, I'm seriously loving it. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 16 finished (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments Charlie, the fact that you're feeling such things is an excellent reason to carry on! ❤️

Finished, I enjoyed it. Agree with Arkadeb and Katherine completely.

I've read Six of Crows but not Crooked Kingdom yet, so that's high up my list right now. I also can't wait to read The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic.

Did anyone else's book have the short story The Demon in the Wood at the end?

message 39: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 18096 comments Mod
Finally started... 2 weeks late :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments Better late then never! XD

message 41: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was worried I'd just be suffering through this one to finish the trilogy and prep for the Nikolai books next year, but I'm interested in how this is all going to play out...

I also still need to go back and read Fury from just before Halloween :D

Otherwise, this is the book I'm latest on, excluding Minimum Wage Magic, which doesn't have an audiobook yet, and I just got on my Kindle...

I'm hoping to get caught up, just in time to fall behind again for the first week or 2 of December... at least I have the fact I'm wrapping up a dozen series in the next few weeks to look forward to... then I need to start planning my 2019 reads...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments Hopefully this one won't be too painful for you. Mal is slightly less insufferable and it moves faster I think. :)

I haven't managed to get Fury yet. With it being new it's relatively expensive. I thought I'd better just wait a bit.

I think we all fall behind in December. Last year was a write off for me, I think I managed one buddy read haha.

message 43: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Outside of a couple really successful Buddy Reads, I think participation has been down this month... probably only get worse next month...

A couple of my BRs have been solo with some comments in case anyone else shows up...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments I know what you mean, it has been quieter. I've been online less this month. Having a bit of a slump post competition. I think it motivated me more than I knew!

message 45: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm not too worried... there was a definite slump last year, too, and people showed up in droves in January...

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm at the point where (view spoiler)

message 47: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm basically done... 98%, but my phone died in the cold weather...

Around 60%: (view spoiler)

Around 80%: This book is starting to give me serious Six of Crows vibes... with the small team of kids vs overwhelming odds... (view spoiler)

End: (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm finished. The first time I read this I hated the ending, hated it with a fiery passion. This time around I'm much happier with it. It's far perfect and I think that's why it works. It's believable and probably much better than what could have happened, all things considered.

I think this series really did grow better and better with every book. The last half of this book was just excellent.

@Siobhan my copy didn't have the short story :( I'm dying the read Language of Thorns now though!

(view spoiler)

I'm going to read through everyone's comments now. Overall I really loved this!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Also, did anyone else want to murder the Apparat?! He's just heinous, and so slimy, he gave me the creeps.

message 50: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlie wrote: "Also, did anyone else want to murder the Apparat?! He's just heinous, and so slimy, he gave me the creeps."

Hopefully he's dealt with in the new duology

« previous 1 3