We Read Stuff discussion

Quarterly Curator Challenge > Cyn & Rachelle ~ Q3 2018

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Welcome to your discussion and recommendation sharing thread for Q3 of 2018

Since it was just the three of us that signed up I decided to sit out and pair the two of you up :) I hope you enjoy getting the chance to recommend favorite books/authors while getting to know your partners reading tastes over the next three months.

As a reminder you will be partners from July 1st - September 30th.

~Pick 2-5 recommendations for your partner each month and from those selections they will read at least one. You will do the same from their selections for you.

~Share your thoughts either as you read or when you finish with your partner.

~For your recommendations please stick to books that you have either rated 3 or more stars or are by an author that you have read and rated a book of theirs 3 or more stars

~It is up to the two of you if you want your curator to pick only from your tbr or if you are fine with them not sticking to a shelf.

message 2: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle (fortifiedbybooks) | 9 comments Cyn,

Looking at your Want to Read shelf, there are only two books I'm familiar with, but they also happen to be books I greatly enjoyed. So, for July I'm recommending you read: The Giver by Lois Lowry and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Unless you want me to choose from a different shelf for August and September, I'll be recommending a few great memoirs I've read along with some books that fit into your favorite genres.

message 3: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments Hey Rachelle! Thanks for the friend request :p I will definitely get to reading either The Giver or The Book Thief (maybe even both!) next month! You can also pick from my tbr-maybe shelf (https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...) if you find any in there you know and liked. I am also open to any other recommendations you want to give me :)

I'm not familiar with many of the books on your want to read shelf either, but I do recommend The Alchemyst by Michael Scott, The Merchant of Death by DJ MacHale, and The Queen's Poisoner by Jeff Wheeler

message 4: by Rachelle (new)

I'll check out your tbr - maybe shelf and I've been waiting for a good excuse to read all three of your recommendations. I'll definitely get to at least one of them in July :)

Feel free to recommend any book even if it's not on my Want to Read shelf. I'll try to find them at the library, Half Price Books, or Amazon if all else fails.

message 5: by Rachelle (new)

I started The Alchemyst and got a little over 50 pages before I DNF'ed it. I wanted to love it, and the story was good, but the writing was horrible! The word "exotic" shouldn't be used 3 times in less than 2 pages, and there were too many cliches to count.

I'm going to try The Merchant of Death next, but I've found myself sucked into another book right now, To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. It's not even the middle of the month yet, so I'm not worried. I hope you're having better luck with my suggestions.

message 6: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments Oh woah, I don't think the overuse of "exotic" was that noticable to me when I read it a few years back. Sorry you didn't have much luck with The Alchemyst :( hope my other recommendations are a bit better ^°^

I started The Giver a bit ago and got a few chapters in - in fact, I was just getting on here to mark it as "currently-reading", when I got a notification of your post! Lol
I like The Giver but I'm not as engaged in it as I thought I'd be :/ I sure hope the book picks up soon

message 7: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments I finished The Giver. It was okay, just not as good (to me) as I thought it was gonna be. I hope my hold for The Book Thief comes in soon from the library :)

message 8: by Rachelle (new)

I DNF'd The Merchant of Death within 7 pages :( The dialogue was completely unbelievable, and I couldn't take it. I was really hoping it would good, too, given that it's by D.J. MacHale, and my copy of the book was signed by him when I met him at the Texas Book Festival a couple of years ago. I asked my Boyfriend to try reading it to see if I'm being too judgmental, but he and I usually agree so I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Now I'm afraid to give The Queen's Poisoner a chance, but I'm going to anyway. I'll try to get you a couple of recommendations for August by the end of this month :)

message 9: by Rachelle (new)

For August, I suggest Spoonbenders and Feed :)

message 10: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments Oh no! Sorry you didn't like The Merchant of Death. I agree the writing is cheesy as heck but the plot was still very enjoyable for me lol. Fingers crossed for The Queen's Poisoner 🙈

I didn't get far into The Book Thief. Death as a narrator was interesting at first but I soon got really irritated :/ Maybe I'm not in the right mood for it or something, I had high hopessince so many people loved it.

I'll definitely get to Spoonbenders and Feed next month! Spoonbenders sounds like a really fun read. I did start reading Feed a few months ago but I took too long reading it that I had to return it to the library :(

I'll find a few books for you to check out

message 11: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments I've about run out of books that I're read that are on your WTR list 😮 I recommend Caraval (I rated this a 2 but I think you'll like it) The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women (I've heard really good things about this), and Moon Called (I really enjoyed this). Happy reading

message 12: by Rachelle (new)

I didn't get around to reading any of your suggestions in August, but I'm going to read Caraval this month, and possibly Moon Called as well. Feel free to suggest another couple of books for September, and I'll try to read at least one.

message 13: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments I didnt get any reading done *panics* I'll try to read Feed and Spoonbenders this month.

message 14: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments Just finished Spoonbenders! It was good, except I had hoped for more magic

message 15: by Rachelle (new)

I'm glad you enjoyed Spoonbenders. I still haven't started Caraval, but I plan to this week. I just started a new job and have been so ridiculously busy that I'm just now getting to the library books I checked out a couple of months ago and renewed twice already.