Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

North and South
This topic is about North and South
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > North and South [July 20, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4613 comments Mod
Elizabeth Gaskell - North and South. July 20th.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Might try and fit this one in...need to do a reread and watch the miniseries again.

Ctgt | 134 comments Yep

Narilka | 3571 comments I'm in. This has been on my list for a while.

Laura Tenfingers | 1131 comments I'll be lurking, this is one of my favorite classics and my gateway book to Elizabeth Gaskell.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments The TV adaptation of this novel is quite good. The one with Richard Armitage in it.

message 8: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments doing~

Laura Tenfingers | 1131 comments Silvana wrote: "The TV adaptation of this novel is quite good. The one with Richard Armitage in it."

Agreed

message 10: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments That's the miniseries I mentioned, Silvana. I love it.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments Great chemistry, yeah? 😆
I immediately read the book after I watched. I quite liked it. Hopefully you guys will enjoy it :)

message 12: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I remember liking the book as well. Hopefully I can fit in a reread. I'm definitely going to watch the miniseries again soon.

message 13: by Zaara (last edited Jun 24, 2018 08:33AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I freaked a bit when I saw this thread zinging and thought I had missed a big portion this read....heh...I was all..."but wasn't it supposed to be July..."
In!
And so glad there is interest. Thought it would be just Hailee and I and late last year we thought we would have to BR it outside the group...bcuz the group wasn't reading Classics at the time...
Yanique.....you did us all good with this, gal!

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2387 comments Silvana wrote: "Great chemistry, yeah? 😆
I immediately read the book after I watched. I quite liked it. Hopefully you guys will enjoy it :)"

Quite liked it and still two stars? 🤔

Hailee | 2631 comments Zaara wrote: "I freaked a bit when I saw this thread zinging and thought I had missed a big portion this read....heh...I was all..."but wasn't it supposed to be July..."
In!
And so glad there is interest. Thoug..."

Haha yeah I'm really pleased with how many people will be joining in with this one.

I have a feeling I will be starting this earlier than the 20th though. Given how slowly I tend to read though I expect I'll still be reading it by the 20th ;-)

message 16: by Hailee (last edited Jun 24, 2018 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2631 comments Silvana wrote: "The TV adaptation of this novel is quite good. The one with Richard Armitage in it."

This was the main reason I decided to read this. I haven't seen the adaptation for over a decade now but decided to hold off rewatching it until I had actually read the book. Can't wait till I get to rewatch it. I remember loving it as a teenager!!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments @Manju: yep 2 or 2.x star books included in my 'okay/quite liked it' list.

message 18: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments What makes three stars?

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2387 comments Am also curious now about your rating criteria.

message 20: by Zaara (last edited Jun 24, 2018 11:07PM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Hailee wrote: "This was the main reason I decided to read this. I haven't seen the adaptation for over a decad..."

I haven't seen the adaptation, Hailee. And tho' its a classic (and you usually learn something abt them just by osmosis) with this one, I'm going in totally blind. So everyone already knows the story, xept me...

I'll prolly do both, just like you.

EDIT: oh and I will not start early.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments Manju wrote: "Am also curious now about your rating criteria."

C.P. wrote: "What makes three stars?"

Oh dear, I don't want to derail this thread but in short my three star books are the ones which writing/story I like with some reservations/concerns on plotline/character/worldbuilding. Also, three-star books still have the possibility for me to reread and/or continue with the rest (if it's a first-in-series). The Alloy of Law is a recent example of it.

I checked my review on N&S and I mentioned I had trouble in adjusting with the writing since I am no longer used to reading classics (even though the story is interesting). Maybe if I read it during my Dickens and Austen period, I'd enjoy it more.

message 22: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I'd like to participate too. I've owned this book for a couple of years but have never managed to get to it.

message 23: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Veronica wrote: "I'd like to participate too. I've owned this book for a couple of years but have never managed to get to it."

:-)

message 24: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments We're finally doing a BR together again, Miss Z. :-)

message 25: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Veronica wrote: "We're finally doing a BR together again, Miss Z. :-)"

I know, right? Do you know I'm totally enticing ppl to read this one saying..."But...you gotta come...Ron is in it...."
Just said this to Dani TODAY, I swear...

message 26: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments LOL, no pressure, right? :-)

message 27: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Veronica wrote: "LOL, no pressure, right? :-)"

😂 there IS that...

message 28: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 8354 comments I hope I could make it too☺

message 29: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Choko wrote: "I hope I could make it too☺"

I hope you can, Choko. :-)

message 30: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Choko wrote: "I hope I could make it too☺"

Do come Choc :-)

message 31: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2050 comments I stumbled across a cheap copy of this book today - and what do I see now, FBR has a BR for it :)
I don't know if I'll have time though, July is such a busy month for me...

Hailee | 2631 comments I'm starting this today so that I can take a steady pace and still be finished by the end of July :-)

message 33: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Hailee wrote: "I'm starting this today so that I can take a steady pace and still be finished by the end of July :-)"

Knight of 7Kingdoms BR is queued before this. So I can only start on 20th. Don't read toooo fast, @Hailee and finish before @Ron and I come. A confession.... I (cunningly) already read the first chapter just to get a taste of Gaskell's prose. It's quite straigtforward...not too heavy at all.
Please post some spoilers?

@Bea...😀 woop, do try and make it!

Narilka | 3571 comments I started early and read the first chapter. I'm getting Pride and Prejudice vibes so far.

message 35: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Get to this in a couple days. I have to finish this one before Aug 1 in any case.

message 36: by Hailee (last edited Jul 19, 2018 04:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2631 comments Zaara wrote: "Hailee wrote: "I'm starting this today so that I can take a steady pace and still be finished by the end of July :-)"

Knight of 7Kingdoms BR is queued before this. So I can only start on 20th. Don..."

I read the first 6 chapters on the first day and decided to lay it down as I could see myself reading it really quickly if I didn't. I might read a bit more today depending on how much of my other current reads I get through.

End of chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Chapter 6 (view spoiler)

Hailee | 2631 comments Narilka wrote: "I started early and read the first chapter. I'm getting Pride and Prejudice vibes so far."

I got those vibes too. Must be why I'm enjoying it so much and why I remember loving the bbc mini series (not that I remember what happens plot wise as it was over a decade ago since I watched it last)

message 38: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I read the first chapter. I didn't realize Margaret was only 18. I haven't seen the Richard Armitage tv version (though I will after I'm done with the book) but I've seen clips and the actress didn't seem like 18 to me. Not a biggie, just wasn't expecting her to be so young.

message 39: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2050 comments To the guys who have already started: would you say this is a tough classic to read or not? (considering language/vocabulary and density) I'm not a native speaker, so classics can be challenging for me...

Hailee | 2631 comments Bea wrote: "To the guys who have already started: would you say this is a tough classic to read or not? (considering language/vocabulary and density) I'm not a native speaker, so classics can be challenging fo..."

Not at all from what I've read so far. Density wise I put it on a par with any of Jane Austen's novels or Jane Eyre which I think are my favourite classics because they are so accessible.

message 41: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2050 comments Hailee wrote: "Bea wrote: "To the guys who have already started: would you say this is a tough classic to read or not? (considering language/vocabulary and density) I'm not a native speaker, so classics can be ch..."

That's definitely helpful, thank you :)
I read Jane Eyre earlier this year and didn't have any (major) problems with it. I tried to read Sense and Sensibility a few years ago but couldn't get into it (although maybe I was to young or it just wasn't the right Austen book for me)

message 42: by Hailee (last edited Jul 20, 2018 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2631 comments Bea wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Bea wrote: "To the guys who have already started: would you say this is a tough classic to read or not? (considering language/vocabulary and density) I'm not a native speaker, so cla..."

You're welcome Bea. If you coped with Jane Eyre then you should be fine with this I'm now 100 pages in and this is definately no more difficult than Jane Eyre is.

message 43: by Hailee (last edited Jul 20, 2018 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2631 comments I am just about to start chapter 11.

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2050 comments Hailee wrote: "Bea wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Bea wrote: "To the guys who have already started: would you say this is a tough classic to read or not? (considering language/vocabulary and density) I'm not a native spe..."

I'm planning to start it in a few days when I'll hopefully have more time to read and concentrate :)

message 45: by Zaara (last edited Jul 21, 2018 02:09AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Thru Chapter 13....Soft Breeze in a Sultry Place
@Bea...prose is surprisingly easy and story moves fast, altho' it deals with such little things...so much happens.

Such a relief after the hyperintensity of emotional overload in Wolfsong...I paused that at 60% for some of this...quiet and placid domesticity...small household scenes, all the dilemmas of a quiet pensive life...with deeply felt but stolidly unexpressed emotions...

Yea...Pride and Prejudice vibes but in this case (view spoiler)

I love how the Mother is immediately protective and watchfully suss....(view spoiler) wonder if this attitude would change? Also...the spoilt sister may be a complication.

The girl Bess is giving me strong (view spoiler) I love the thick accent of her Da...
Clemming = Claiming?

Fave scene...Chapter 3...the bucolic country walks and the eating pears in the garden sitting on stones...oh and the sketching...

Lennox? Yeah...I haven't watched the serial, like Ron so I'm going in blind. Hailee, I hope he isn't (view spoiler)

Now the querulous Ma is sick...haha all the time she was cribbing that she hated the country air and wanted to go to a big city....which I'm all...be careful what you wish for...by the time you get it you may find that the peaches taste like Eucalyptus...

By the way, #smallrandom I love Eucalyptus trees and leaves and how they smell when they are crushed in your palm....like piney, leafy, resinous/woodsy scents more than the sweetish flowery ones.
And here is something to make the thread pretty + for Ron and Choc start sooooon, you two.
(view spoiler)

Hailee | 2631 comments Read up to the end of chapter 24.

Zaara wrote: "Yea...Pride and Prejudice vibes but in this case..."

I agree about the (view spoiler)

Zaara wrote: Lennox? Yeah...I haven't watched the serial, like Ron so I'm going in blind. Hailee, I hope he isn't..."

(view spoiler)

Narilka | 3571 comments I'm also up to Chapter 13 and really enjoying this. It's been a nice break from my typical fantasy. Thanks for whoever suggested this buddy read :) Not a whole lot of comments, just enjoying the ride.

Hailee | 2631 comments Zaara I firgot to say I googled clemming and clem means 'to starve'

Hailee | 2631 comments Narilka wrote: "I'm also up to Chapter 13 and really enjoying this. It's been a nice break from my typical fantasy. Thanks for whoever suggested this buddy read :) Not a whole lot of comments, just enjoying the ride."

Glad you're enjoying it Narilka!!

message 50: by Veronica (last edited Jul 22, 2018 08:05PM) (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I'm just through the end of chapter five. Sorry for moving through this so slowly. I don't know what possessed me to attempt to read 4-5 books at once but I feel that I am failing greatly. Never again.

Anyway....

Margaret: (view spoiler)

Margaret's father: (view spoiler)

I know, I know. My modern sensibilities are butting heads with the norms for the time period. lol

« previous 1 3