Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, #1)
This topic is about Luck in the Shadows
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Luck in the Shadows [July 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Lynn Flewelling - Luck in the Shadows. July 15th.

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Tempting but I don't know if I could afford starting a new series.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Perhaps.

message 6: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Do you already have a schedule for this series? I read the first two books this month and liked them a lot so I might join later, depending on how fast I/you read the series.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments No schedule Bea. Will see how we like this one first. But your words encouraging. Hope we like this as much as you did.

message 8: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Ah, ok.
I hope you'll like it! So far I found the books to be entertaing, easy reads. If you're looking for groundbreaking fantasy, this series is definitely not it but it had its charm so far (at least for me).

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I’m in.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Spot :)

Shaitarn | 1963 comments I'm going to be a bit late (I'm currently at my parents), but I'll be joining once I get home!

message 13: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I wanted to do this but I don't think it's prudent to open yet another series, especially that I started a new long one this month...

message 14: by Em Lost In Books (last edited Jul 15, 2018 09:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments has anyone started this yet? I am in chapter 6. I find it funny how in the fantasy world sometimes a 16 year old conquer the world while few others start their apprenticeship. :)

Interesting premise so far. hope there will be dragons.

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I was waiting for someone to say they're starting. :)
I'll also start this evening.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments Laura wrote: "I was waiting for someone to say they're starting. :)
I'll also start this evening."

😲

message 17: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I just started and won’t get far tonight. Like the direction it is going in though. I always enjoy a master/apprentice story.

message 18: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments In Rhiminee and felt like the story had a great flow to it and then got mired in infodumps.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments 6-15 (view spoiler)

message 20: by Bill (last edited Jul 17, 2018 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments 6-15(view spoiler)

My audiobook doesn’t have any chapters so will probably just end up replying to others so I don’t spoil anything.

message 21: by Em Lost In Books (last edited Jul 17, 2018 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments (view spoiler)

Chapter 16 in my ebook is dinner with Nysander. So you can give spoilers before that. :)

message 22: by Em Lost In Books (last edited Jul 18, 2018 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments 16-25 (view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) 2 chapters in. Lots of worldbuilding so far. Our young friend is clearly going to have his world view expanded drastically

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'm starting only now and it seems I have a lot to catch up on. (*sigh*)

I'm reading this on my online library and these last few days 'online' was barely possible because of horrible floods accompanied by no electricity and damaged wires - in other words, no WiFi.
The rains are a lot less today and everything is fully functional again. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
So I'm starting my book now.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments Arkadeb wrote: "2 chapters in. Lots of worldbuilding so far. Our young friend is clearly going to have his world view expanded drastically"

and it will expand more and more.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments Laura wrote: "I'm starting only now and it seems I have a lot to catch up on. (*sigh*)

I'm reading this on my online library and these last few days 'online' was barely possible because of horrible floods accom..."

please don't say rain. i will cry.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Why?

message 28: by Em Lost In Books (last edited Jul 18, 2018 10:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments because no rain here. :'( it's hot and humid and a looooooong wait for rain.:/

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hope when it reaches you it won't be quite as bad as the one here. :)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments it never rains too much here. it's always mediocre or less. :)

Andorion (ruineleint) Chapter 15 done

Ok so this book surprised me a bit

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Up to chapter 17
I agree with Bill on Alec and the magic as well as the reason for being (view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) Chapter 20 done

(view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments Otter and Stag, that fun.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments finished. and it was fantastic! just the right mix of everything.

@Arkadeb: didn't thought it that way until you point it out. i thought all the fantasy that i have read and yup, this is the first where something like this has happened.

about the book (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Finished it also and I agree with you Manju - it was fantastic.
Alec is my favourite also, followed by Micum and Nysander. Only after them comes Seregil.

I also loved the magic and I suspect Alec may be (view spoiler)

When do we read the sequel? Cause I'm in for the series. I want to know what (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Chapter 20 done

[spoilers removed]"

Me neither

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Manju wrote: "16-25

these 10 chapters answered little but gave me more questions. :/

why..."

I think (view spoiler)

message 39: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments @Laura & Manju: Glad you guys were liking it! (I hope it's ok that I comment here without having been buddy-reading it)
Re your questions: It's mostly read and find out :)

I'm almost done with the fourth book now and I still really like this series. If you liked the first one there is a good chance you will also like the sequels. In my opinion the second and third book were even better than the first one!

@Laura re Alec and Seregil: (view spoiler)

message 40: by Laura (last edited Jul 21, 2018 02:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Great to have you here Bea - do chat with us also please.
I thought I was the only one having difficulty with (view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments @Laura: am in for sequel too. shall we start it on next 15?

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments Laura wrote: "Finished it also and I agree with you Manju - it was fantastic.
Alec is my favourite also, followed by Micum and Nysander. Only after them comes Seregil.

I also loved the magic and I suspect Alec ..."

About Alec(view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments Laura wrote: "Manju wrote: "16-25

these 10 chapters answered little but gave me more questions. :/

why..."

I think those guys who had the disks did the killing but why? I still don't get it either.
Even thou..."

the only thing I can think of now is that author is knitting a big story in the background that we will see only after 2-3 more books.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments You are most welcome Bea.:D

about Seregil and Alec, I think the only way we know that they will be romantically involved because of that M/M tag (at least that's how it is with me). in this book it was hard to imagine them other than that apprentice-master relationship, they fit together so well in those rolls. I can easily imagine both of them with others in coming books but now I can't do that as i know they will be a couple in next books. :/ For now i only hope that author does a fine job of shaping up that relationship.

that's what happened when you are late to read a book or look how the book is tagged on GR. :/

Andorion (ruineleint) Finished!

Overall I liked the book, though I think the pacing took a bit off a hit in the middle.

What surprised me about this book was the choice of antagonist.
(view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments @Arkadeb - perhaps the author thought first protect the home, and gives us more of those two antagonists in coming books.

I agree about the middle chapters being slow, specially when they arrive in Rihiminee.

This is first time I have read about this kind of magic. In other books characters have to eat or drink something before going through transformations like these..

message 47: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I know everybody has finished already but I am starting tonight. your high marks convinced me to squeeze it in.

message 48: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I still need to finish. I had problems with my loan from Hoopla and had to wait for their support to rectify it. Will continue it again later tonight.

Shaitarn | 1963 comments I'm only six chapters in; writing is taking up most of my spare time at the moment!

message 50: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments I am at Lady Gwendolyn. It took me a few pages to figure out who it was.

« previous 1