The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
This topic is about Out of Spite, Out of Mind
Magic 2.0 > OoSOoM: Full Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Discuss the book. No need for spoiler tags, but please indicate the chapter you're on.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I finished today (kind of thought I would, since it is pretty short). Hmm....I'm sure I'll have other thoughts as I read everyone elses' opinions, but for now:

As I stated earlier, time travel usually really bugs me. Since this whole series is based on time travel, it seems like I should hate it, but I guess there is enough admission of "this really doesn't make sense" for me to not be too bothered. However, since this whole story centers around time travel, with a lot of "we had to do this since it happened that way" - I didn't really like the main premise

Things I did like: I enjoyed Gary and his redecorating minions.

My favorite scene was probably the choreographed fight scene at the end, with the music and counting and over the top deaths.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Jun 23, 2018 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I didn't get much time on yesterday, so I'm only through chapter 6 so far:

I laughed at the giant mouse trap. I had guessed what it was well before Martin, but I suspect that was intended by the author. I'm confused about the Goblin though. I was expecting it to be someone we knew already.

Although now I think they are either disguised or had their appearance changed by one of the other wizards. Martin seems to think they are after Philip, but he's been there both times.

The stuff with Britt no longer repeating history is interesting too. This book seems a lot more serious than the past books have been though. I'll be curious to see where he's going with it.

Suzanne | 1582 comments You are right - it does feel a lot more serious than past books - especially than the last book!

Oooh - I'd forgotten about the giant mouse trap. I liked that too.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Jun 23, 2018 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm now up through chapter 12.

The Goblin showed up again. My first suspicion was it was older Philip in diguise trying to stop his younger self from ruining his relationship with Britt the younger by working with Britt the elder behind her back.

However based on the elaborate, stupid ways the Goblin attacks Martin (first a flock of birds, then rats chewing through the floor), I'm more inclined to think it's an older Martin instead.

The time jump to 2018 is interesting as well.

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Up through Chapter 14

I guess I should have stuck with my gut feeling..

Suzanne | 1582 comments Well....the whole idea of one of the wizards disguised never even entered my mind, so your gut beat mine. Good guessing :)

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) I have just finished the book and i was OK with it. Not amazing, but not terrible either. I liked the futures battling the presents, and future Philip and his 'distractions'. Shame about his relationship - interesting to see where that goes.
Ending was interesting - reminded me a little of Back to the Future - 'It's your kids Marty!'.
I have given this a 3/5 as i enjoyed it and look forward to the next book, but feel the essence of the series has waned a little. At least is was short and concise, and not bloated.

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished today despite my phone's attempts to thwart me by dying.

I'm not sure what I'm going to rate this. A 3.5 probably. Rounding up or down tbd. I liked it more than the last book, but not as much as books 1 and 3 (I think 3 was the one with the bad/buggy video game which is probably my favorite, or was that 2?)

I like a fair bit of time travel stuff: Back to the Future, Bill & Ted, Looper, Timecop, Primer. There are maybe some others I'm forgetting. Bad time travel has to be entertaining/hand wavy about the time travel to not drive me a little crazy.

I tried to watch that Timeless show, but I had trouble getting into it.

The time travel stuff here was more annoying than normal since it was the main plot point as you mentioned Suzanne. I did always kind of enjoy the conflict between Philip's Free Will idea and Brit's acceptance that Old Brit was in fact her/everything was preordained.

In this book though, I found them all to be assholes. Except Tyler. I think he's my favorite. I mean it's not new, it just seemed to annoy me more than in past books.

All of the characters have at least one major flaw in my opinion:

Martin generally means well, but never thinks before acting plus he's stuborn
Gwen has a tendency to be overly secretive/combative. This book especially with the whole marriage thing. That argument made no sense to me. But then I'm single so maybe it's just my own ignorance.
Philip is a know-it-all
Brit's whole hang-up on hating herself
Gary is just an asshole who likes mean pranks
Jeff is a bit of a jerk, but mostly he's just an idiot
Jimmy needs no explanation

As far as I can tell Tyler's only real issues are the bathroom thing/OCD and writing bad fantasy. Really he and Gwen are the most likeable, but there are times she gets on my nerves.

So honestly I'm a bit interested to see where he's going with the kids thing. I wouldn't mind if the next book follows them instead of the characters it has so far.

I kind of suspected those were Gwen/Martin's kids when Martin first met them midway through the book based on some of the comments. I forgot it until they showed back up again at the end.

As a huge fan of not only the first BttF, but the whole trilogy, I kind of loved that he went there with the story. In fact that line you quoted Richard was totally in my head as I was listening to the final chapter.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Haha mine too. It seems like the perfect way to describe the ending.

I liked the video game one the most too. Maybe it is all the time playing WoW with all of the repetitive tasks..... But I'll never forget tempering the sword.