Sacramento Public Library discussion

General > What Are You Reading: August 2014

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sacramento Public Library (last edited Aug 01, 2014 01:59PM) (new)

Sacramento Public Library (saclib) | 370 comments Mod
Summer Reading is going strong! Already more than 130,000 books have been read since June 1. Add your books to the total when you sign up at your local branch. You'll get a cool tote bag AND be entered into the drawing for Barnes & Noble gift cards and an iPad.

If you've read something good be sure to share it in the comments below and help someone else find their next great summer read.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Halfway through The Apple Orchard by Susan Wiggs. Love that it is kinda local based and an easy read. I needed a break.

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven | 57 comments Spindrift, scifi set in the coyote universe. Chaos Code, a YA mystery novel with fantasy/supernatural elements. Alpha Rising, a scifi novel with a Christian perspective. I will also find a western to read for the monthly reading challenge.

message 4: by Chip (new)

Chip | 89 comments "The Berlin Stories" by Christopher Isherwood, recommended by my daughter Laura. It's been on my one-of-these days list for years. I'm in the first story, "Mr. Norris Changes Trains." Beautifully written!

message 5: by Francie (new)

Francie (francie62) | 72 comments I just finished Greg Iles' Natchez Burning and have read the first third of Sue Miller's The Arsonist. I highly recommend both.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments I am on the waitlist for The Arsonist. Trudging my way through Winter's Tale right now. Yes, trudging!

message 7: by Francie (new)

Francie (francie62) | 72 comments Susan wrote: "I am on the waitlist for The Arsonist. Trudging my way through Winter's Tale right now. Yes, trudging!"

I found The Arsonist on the Lucky Day shelf at the Carmichael library and will be returning my copy tomorrow. Maybe you can find it there. It's great--and a fast read.

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Couillard-Smith I've just finished two fantastic reads for middle graders - "The Whispering Skull" by Jonathan Stroud for fans of horror and mystery, and "Anybody Shining" by Frances O'Roark Dowell for fans of historical fiction and gentle reads.

I'm about to start Gregory Maguire's upcoming fantasy novel "Egg & Spoon" which pubs in September. I'm also dabbling in the short stories of William Maxwell - they're just lovely. Deceptively simple, but the kind that linger.

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments I just finished Mortal Heart and loved it :)

message 10: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Couillard-Smith Julie wrote: "I just finished Mortal Heart and loved it :)"

I loved it too! The whole "His Fair Assassin" series by Robin LaFevers is just plain fantastic. Can't get enough of those teenage nun assassins!

message 11: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 22 comments Just picked up Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce today at the North Highlands- Antelope location since I had to scan some stuff and finish homework. I fell in love with Pierce's writing way back in sixth grade. 11 years later, I hope she is just what I remembered.

message 12: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 22 comments And speaking of Stroud, his Bartimaeus books are a quick funny read with all the foot notes!

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Francie wrote:
I found The Arsonist on the Lucky Day shelf at the Carmichael library and wi..."

Thanks! I have several books waiting to be read but I do LOVE those Lucky Day books!!

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments @chelsea I adore this series and yes I love the nun assassins

I just finished the Heart of Christmas by Brenda Novak. While I am fan of the whiskey Creek ..her latest books have been soap opera like and one of the main characters I loved, she totally destroyed her in the last book. UGh I am trying to figure out if I am going to break with the series .

message 15: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 22 comments Now on to Trickster's Queen.

message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven | 57 comments I finally got a copy of Leviathan Wakes. So, I'll see if it lives up to the hype.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments I am taking a week off from reading books. I am a year behind in my magazine reading and have 98 blog posts to catch up on. My book pile is the lowest it has been in a LONG time so I am taking advantage of that and focusing my reading on other things. Seems weird to not be reading a book.

message 18: by Allie (new)

Allie | 14 comments I'm about halfway through Rainbow Rowell's Landline. Loving it so far and can't wait to discuss it at my book club at the end of the month.

message 19: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 22 comments Done with that, now on to Knife of Dreams.

message 20: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I am taking a week off from reading books."

A week off from reading books? I don't think I have done that in my entire life! Sounds like you'll be keeping busy, though...

I've been reading this and that in August, nothing too spectacular. Last night I finished the new Mary Balogh romance, The Escape, which was a delightful read as all of her books are. Tonight I will start Identity by Ingrid Thoft, the new Fina Ludlow novel and later this week I will crack open the new Ilona Andrews, Magic Breaks. After that it is Appaloosa by Robert B Parker for our reading challenge this month.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments that week lasted 2 days but at least I am reading December 2013 magazines and am current on my blog reading!

how I wish I were reading Landline for book club. we are reading Wallbanger.....and yes, it is EXACTLY what you think it is. I guess they wanted something light and sexy for summer reading?

message 22: by Steven (new)

Steven | 57 comments @tabitha - Leviathan Wakes: Has been cop, disillusioned do-gooder, unrequited love, international (actually inter - planetary) intrigue, revolution, rampant racism, and oh yeah, vomit zombies. I am only 1/3 into the book. I love it, but the author may be trying to pack too many clichés into one book.

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments I am reading Zodiac which come out later this year. It's great with the world building and very little romance. I do like the concept with astrological signs. :)

message 24: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 22 comments Sorry about your morning sickness Tabitha. With two babies on the way I thought I would have killer morning sickness. I am lucky and haven't had and nausea or vomiting. Just a lot of fatigue which makes me less able to read for extended periods....See? I can still bring it around to reading in end!

message 25: by Steven (new)

Steven | 57 comments This pregnancy stuff seems contagious. Thank goodness my wife has outgrown that. My son's wife had a little girl 5 months ago. My daughter's due in October. From 0 to 2 grandkids in less than a year. I am currently visiting my sister. Her oldests are twins. 13 in November. Twin Sagittarians. The teen years will be quite interesting around here.

message 26: by Erik (new)

Erik Paul | 1 comments Just finished The Son by Jo Nesbo, now reading Cockroaches by the same; The Information by James Gleick, just finished Outliers by Gladwell

message 27: by Allie (new)

Allie | 14 comments Has anyone read The Best American Short Stories 2008 by Salman Rushdie (Editor)? I started it and couldn't get passed the introductions to the stories. Just wondering if it's worth going back to at some point and reading the stories.

message 28: by Lexa (new)

Lexa Benningfield | 1 comments I just finished Dollbaby by Laura Lane McNeal, it was an amazing read and I could barely put it down.

message 29: by Chip (new)

Chip | 89 comments I'm reading Doc by Mary Doria Russell, as part of the August "Western" challenge. Loving it so far - what a wonderful writer. I think we're just about to meet Wyatt Earp! (Thanks for the recommendation, Brendle!)

message 30: by Brendle (new)

@chip You are very welcome! Thanks, also for taking part in this month's Western reading challenge.

I'm reading Shattered by Kevin Hearne. It has hockey playing Yeti in it which is pretty awesome. All books should have them, don't you think? (They are fans of the Colorado Avalanche btw)

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Lexa wrote: "I just finished Dollbaby by Laura Lane McNeal, it was an amazing read and I could barely put it down."

I really enjoyed that one too! Are you a part of Penguin's First To Read program? I got that one through them. Right now I am reading The Paying Guests and just finished Five Days left, both from the program.

message 32: by Brendle (new)

Tabitha (Pabkins) wrote: "@Brendle I recently listened to the first book Hounded on audio and need to start the next one. Hockey playing yeti sounds like fun!"

Oh yes this is a fun series and I would definitely recommend you continue it. It's a bit of a knockoff of the Harry Dresden series, but soon finds its own footing and becomes all the better for it.

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments I have been reading rebel nation but it's been tough to get back into this world .

message 34: by Brendle (new)

I am currently reading The Fishing Fleet: Husband Hunting in the Raj by Anne de Courcy which is about British women going to India to find a husband in the 19th and 20th centuries. This is the sort of history I love and the cover of a woman on the back of an elephant wearing a corset while hunting tigers, well, how could I not read it? The author quotes extensively from diary accounts which makes it all the more interesting.

message 35: by John (new)

John | 105 comments Robert McCammon's "The Wolf's Hour" is one of the best werewolf novels published in the past generation, combining the werewolf genre with the suspense and action of a classic World War II spy novel (I'm quoting my own review of the book) In July of this year it was issued as an audiobook, read by Simon Prebble. I read it a year or so ago, and now I'm listening to the audio interpretation of the story.

Recently I finished "The Silkworm" by Robert Galbraith. The story is compelling, the characters fascinating and complex. Possibly the best book I've read (or listened to) this year. Had J.K. Rowling never written the Harry Potter books, I'm certain she'd have made her name as one of the top mystery writers of the decade.