The Great American Read discussion

Challenges and Favorites 2018 > Summer GAR challenge

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 24, 2018 06:27AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
**Summer TGAR Challenge**

READ and VOTE

Read books from the GAR list between May 22 and September 3.

10 points per book. 20 points per book > 800 pages.

Earn 5 extra points for each letter completed below. Additional bonus points can be earned for each category. Some books might fit more than one category

R - Read - Read 5 or more books from the GAR list. 10 points per book, 20 for > 800 pages

E - Encourage others to read, watch, and vote for GAR books. Talk, Tweet, Post. +5 bonus points for frequency, variety and creativity of ideas to share with others.

A - Age – Read a GAR book written before you were born. +5 bonus points for a different book greater than 100 years old (written before 1919).

D - Diversity – Read a GAR book relevant to some aspect of diversity (e.g. Immigrant experience, race relations, LGBTQ, religion, aging, etc.). + 5 bonus points for 2 or more books.

V.O.T.E.

V - Vote on the TGAR website, twitter and Facebook. Bonus points for frequency.

O - Outside your comfort zone – (Genre diversity).
Read a GAR book from a genre that you don’t usually read. + 5 bonus points for reading books from 3 or more different genres.

T - Together – Discuss one or more GAR books on goodreads, or in person with a friend, relative, neighbor, or acquaintance. +5 bonus points for reading the book together in real life. + 5 bonus points for participating (reading and posting) in a group read on goodreads.

E - Expand your world – Read a GAR book from (and about) a non-English speaking country. +5 bonus points for a book originally written in a language other than English.

The person who earns the most points will win the challenge. If there is a tie, the winner will be randomly selected to receive a prize.

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 24, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

Questions? Comments?

Start a post for yourself below to summarize and update your progress.

List the books you read and the date read. For each letter, identify the book you selected, or briefly note what action you took.

You can edit and update your post as often as you like during this period.

I will post additional 2018 challenges later - including a Continents Challenge and a Centuries Challenge.

message 3: by Parker (new)

Parker | 204 comments Can this include books we've already read or do they have to be books that we haven't?

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Parker wrote: "Can this include books we've already read or do they have to be books that we haven't?"

It can include any books you read (in full) during this time period, even if you read them in the past.

I started to re-read 1984 last month, but I skipped over a lot once my memory kicked in, so I won't count it for the summer challenge.

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 20, 2018 10:44PM) (new)

NancyJ's Summer TGAR Challenge PLAN - Editing now

Read books from the GAR list between May 22 and September 3.

BOOKS:

1. Looking for Alaska, Read June 11
(Genre YA, coming of age)
2. A Prayer for Owen Meany (Genre- Coming of Age, literature)
( D-Diversity, religion)
3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn + 5 pts for A-Age (The book is older than me) (Classic genre)
4. Sirens of Titan (Sci-Fi genre) Bonus for O and T
5. Their Eyes are Watching God (Classic, Diversity)
6. Lonesome Dove (Adventure genre, Western) >800 pages (20)
7. Americanah (Contemporary, literary genres, diversity)
8. Curious Incident (Diversity -Autism spectrum, mystery genre?)

Earn 5 extra points for each letter completed below. Additional bonus points can be earned for each category. Some books might fit more than one category

R - Read - See books above. 7 regular size books, and 1 >800 pages. 70+20 = 90 points

E - Encourage others to read, watch, and vote for GAR books. Talk, Tweet, Post. 10 points

+5 I talk about it with friends, relatives, local book club, neighbor, women in the nail salon, and on this website.
+5 Posted about GAR and bookclub on Twitter, nearly every day.

A - Age – Read a GAR book written before you were born. +5 bonus points for a different book greater than 100 years old (written before 1919).
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn +5 points,

D - Diversity – Read a GAR book relevant to some aspect of diversity (e.g. Immigrant experience, race relations, LGBTQ, religion, aging, etc.). 5 + 5 bonus points for 2 or more books.

Prayer for Owen Meany - Religion (+5 for D)
Americanah - Race/immigrant experience (+5 bonus points)
total= 10 points

V.O.T.E.

V - Vote on the TGAR website, twitter and Facebook. Bonus points for frequency. I voted, and posted nearly everyday, all methods. Liked other's vote tweets to encourage others to vote. +10 points+

O - Outside your comfort zone – (Genre diversity).
Read a GAR book from a genre that you don’t usually read. + 5 bonus points for reading books from 3 or more different genres.
Sirens of Titan (Science Fiction) +5 I don't read much sci-fi
Prayer for Owen Meany (Coming of Age, literary)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Classic)
Americanah (Contemporary, literary)
Looking for Alaska (YA)
+5 for 3 diff genres total 10 points

T - Together – Discuss one or more GAR books on goodreads, or in person with a friend, relative, neighbor, or acquaintance. +5 bonus points for reading the book together in real life. + 5 bonus points for participating (reading and posting) in a group read on goodreads. 10 total

E - Expand your world – Read a GAR book from (and about) a non-English speaking country. +5 bonus points for a book originally written in a language other than English.

Americanah takes place in 3 different countries. +5

R 90
E 10
A 05
D 10
V 10
O 10
T 10
E 05
total= 150

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Ack! I read Dune, Adventure of Tom Sawyer, and Frankenstein between May 5th and May 13th this yeat. Bummer. At least A tree Grows in Brooklyn (may 30th) will count and I am currently reading The Grapes of Wrath. Good luck to all and Happy Reading! I'll gather my thoughts and set up my challenge soon!

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 24, 2018 08:39PM) (new)

Tammy wrote: "Ack! I read Dune, Adventure of Tom Sawyer, and Frankenstein between May 5th and May 13th this yeat. Bummer. At least A tree Grows in Brooklyn (may 30th) will count and I am currently reading The Gr..."

Oh no. Did you know about the Great American Read before May22 or was it just a coincidence that you read those books?

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy No, Nancy, I had no clue. I've just been doing my own catching up on reading some of the classics that I've missed over the years. I've actually read 10 of the TGAR books this year. I think I have 5 or 6 left on this year's self-imposed challenge. I think I've completed 68 or 69 of the books so far.

message 9: by Ella (last edited Jun 29, 2018 09:57AM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Ella's Challenge (NOTE: I don't want any prizes or to "win", just to challenge myself, Nancy.)

OK... this is hard to organize in my brain and on this page, but I'm going to at least list the books, then I'll figure out points etc.

Ella's TGAR Goal (10 by end of challenge)
Ella -- check dates on these & fill them in

1) 1984
2) A Prayer for Owen Meany
3) A Confederacy of Dunces
4) Catch-22
5) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
6) Gilead
7) Rebecca
8) Wuthering Heights
9) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
10)

Ella's READ Progress
Done --> R- Read 5 GAR books
E- Encourage others to read, vote, watch TGAR.
Done --> A -Age - Read a book older than you are (Catch-22 beats me by a few years.)
D - Diversity - Read a book from one of the diverse themes on the list

Ella's VOTE Progress
V- Vote on the GAR website, twitter, facebook to help determine America's favorite book, and to promote reading.
O- Outside your comfort zone - Try a new Genre
T- Together - Read and discuss a book with someone else - or us.
E - Expand your world. Add an international book.

message 10: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Tammy wrote: "No, Nancy, I had no clue. I've just been doing my own catching up on reading some of the classics that I've missed over the years. I've actually read 10 of the TGAR books this year. I think I have ..."

I just posted some ideas for a year end challenge (or winter challenge) It would include ALL the GAR books you read, regardless of when you read them. The challenge would be to fill gaps in your life long GAR reading, focusing on variety.

Century Challenge: Read at least one book from every century Based on original publication date (not setting).

Decade Challenge for 20th century.

Big Book Challenge

Continent Challenge. Read at least one book from every continent in the world. Or X number of countries.

Genre Challenge - Read at least one book from each genre or other set of groups.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments I think I'm going to try this part of the challenge also, even though I'm not competitive and won't be trying to win it. I would like to try and get something from each Category.

I've read 6 so far (since May 22) and I'm in the process of reading #7. I'm going to come back to this later to see where they all fit in.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula NancyJ wrote: "Parker wrote: "Can this include books we've already read or do they have to be books that we haven't?"

It can include any books you read (in full) during this time period, even if you read them in..."

For clarity's sake, then, we can re-read a book for the credit, but not count a book on the GAR list which we read, say, 5 years ago if we are NOT going to read it during the time period stated or HAVE NOT ALREADY read it during the time period stated.
Correct?

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane (grannyseahorse) I'm late in joining this group and challenge. But I have been actively reading since the list came out. I've read 15 books on the list since May 22. Can I still join the challenge?

message 14: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Yes you can, Diane!

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Diane wrote: "I'm late in joining this group and challenge. But I have been actively reading since the list came out. I've read 15 books on the list since May 22. Can I still join the challenge?"

Sure! The challenge covers anything you read after May 22.

message 16: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Paula wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Parker wrote: "Can this include books we've already read or do they have to be books that we haven't?"

It can include any books you read (in full) during this time period, even if y..."

Correct. Only count books you read on May 22 or later.

message 17: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (last edited Apr 24, 2019 08:56PM) (new)

R - Read - Read 5 or more books from the GAR list. 10 points per book, 20 for > 800 pages 

1) 50 Shades of Gray +10
2) Sirens of Titan +10
3) Da Vinci Code +10
4) Alice in Wonderland +10
5) Looking for Alaska +10
6) Anne of Green Gables +10
7) Heart of Darkness +10
8) 1984 +10
9) Gulliver's Travels +10
10) The Little Prince +10
11) The Shack +10
12) Gone Girl +10
13) Siddhartha +10
14) The Book Thief +10
15) Outlander +20
16) White Teeth +10
17) Where the Red Fern Grows +10
18) Confederacy of Dunces +10
19) Memoirs of a Geisha +10
20) Ghost +10
21) the Alchemist +10
22) Americanah +10
23) Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao +10
24) Invisible Man +10
25) Their Eyes Were Watching God +10
26) Lonesome Dove +20
27) And Then There Were None +10
28) The Color Purple +10
29) A Separate Peace +10
30) Another Country +10
31) Tales of the City +10
32) The Intuitionist +10
33) The Notebook +10
34) Jurassic Park +10
35) Beloved +10
36) Ready Player One +10
37) Things Fall Apart +10
38) Call of the Wild +10
39) Picture of Dorian Gray +10
40) Coldest Winter Ever +10
41) Along Came a Spider +10
42) Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time +10
43) Hatchet +10
44) The Outsiders +10
----------------------------------
45) Joy Luck Club
46) Foundation
47) The Watchers
48) Clan of the Cave Bear
49) Flowers in the Attic
50) Charlotte's Web
51) This Present Darkness
52) Gilead
53) Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe
54) Frankenstein
55) To Kill a Mockingbird
56) Mind Invaders
57) Pillars of the Earth
58) Little Women
59) Rebecca
60) The Count of Monte Cristo

Books +460
Complete +5

E - Encourage others to read, watch, and vote for GAR books. Talk, Tweet, Post. +5 bonus points for frequency, variety and creativity of ideas to share with others.

Invited friends to join GAR +5
Complete +5

A - Age – Read a GAR book written before you were born. +5 bonus points for a different book greater than 100 years old (written before 1919).

Sirens of Titan
Alice in Wonderland*
Anne of Green Gables*
Heart of Darkness*
Gulliver's Travels*
The Little Prince
Siddhartha
Where the Red Fern Grows
Confederacy of Dunces
Invisible Man
Their Eyes Were Watching God
And Then There Were None
The Color Purple
A Separate Peace
Things Fall Apart
Call of the Wild*
Picture of Dorian Gray*

+100 years +5
Complete +5

D - Diversity – Read a GAR book relevant to some aspect of diversity (e.g. Immigrant experience, race relations, LGBTQ, religion, aging, etc.). + 5 bonus points for 2 or more books.

White Teeth, Americanah, Brief Life of Oscar Wao- Immigrant experience
Looking for Alaska, Curious Incident- Mental Health
Invisble Man, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Color Purple Another Country, Beloved- Race
The Shack, Siddhartha- Religion
Another Country, Tales of the City- LGBTQ

2 or more +5
Complete +5

V.O.T.E.

V - Vote on the TGAR website, twitter and Facebook. Bonus points for frequency.

Vote daily via website

Complete +5

O - Outside your comfort zone – (Genre diversity). 

50 Shade of Grey, Outlander, the Notebook- Romance
Gone Girl, Along Came a Spider- Thriller
Alice in Wonderland, Little Prince- Children"s
Looking for Alaska, Ghost, Book Thief- YA
Lonesome Dove- Western
And Then There Were None- Mystery

3 or more +5
Complete +5

T - Together – Discuss one or more GAR books on goodreads, or in person with a friend, relative, neighbor, or acquaintance. +5 bonus points for reading the book together in real life. + 5 bonus points for participating (reading and posting) in a group read on goodreads.

Discuss a book +5
Group Read +5

Complete +5

E - Expand your world – Read a GAR book from (and about) a non-English speaking country. +5 bonus points for a book originally written in a language other than English.

Siddhartha +5
Little Prince +5
The Alchemist +5
Americanah
Brief Life of Oscar Wao

Complete +5

R 465
E 010
A 010 +
D 010
V 005
O 010
T 015
E 010

message 18: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 14, 2018 08:55PM) (new)

Wow Joy!!! This will be hard to beat!

Letter R- Congratulations! Did you read these all Since May 22? 215 points! Let me know if I need to add an extra book to the "other GAR books" discussion section at the end.

Most of the letters have a max of 10 point. 5 for completing the requirement, and 5 for going beyond. So my points might not agree with yours.

E - The focus here is on encouraging others to read, vote, etc.(voting yourself is in V). So I'd give you 5 points for E. The bonus points on this one will require more description.

A - Age has a limit of 10 points - 5 for reading a book older than you, and 5 for one 100 years old. But you deserve more. There will be another age related challenge to cover the whole year, so you can still apply these to that challenge. (Read one book from each century.) This would be a tie breaker if someone else had the same points.

Diversity and O (genre) shouldn't have any overlap. I counted religion as Diversity, but not genre. (I counted Immigrant exp and religion in D, and 3 genres (other than religion) for O. 10 points each. Which one was outside your comfort zone?

V - Do you vote on twitter/facebook too?

Here is the point total I calculated.

R 215
E 005
A 010 +
D 010
V 005
O 010
T 005
E 010

270 WOW!

This will be hard to beat!

message 19: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (last edited Jul 14, 2018 09:57PM) (new)

NancyJ wrote: "Wow Joy!!! This will be hard to beat!

Letter R- Congratulations! Did you read these all Since May 22? 215 points! Let me know if I need to add an extra book to the "other GAR books" discussion sec..."

I actually started reading at the beginning of June, so yes.

I wasn't entirely sure how the scoring was supposed to work so i gave it my best guess, supposing I would need to be corrected!

E- well I haven't stopped talking about GAR. I've shared the list with about a dozen people and had 3 create a goodreads account because of it.

A- I've read a book older than me and at least 100 years old, so I'm good there

O- Romance and Thriller are outside my comfort zones

V- I only vote on the website. I don't have facebook.

message 20: by Pam (last edited Sep 06, 2018 07:30PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Pam's Challenge

For now, I am just going to list the books.

1. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time May 26 (4 stars)
2. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Americanah July 1 (4 stars)
3. Ghost (Track, #1) by Jason Reynolds Ghost July 2 (5 stars!)
4. Doña Barbara by Rómulo Gallegos Doña Barbara July 15 (5 stars!)
5. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe July 20 (3 stars)
6. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry Lonesome Dove Aug 28 (5 stars!)

message 21: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Pam wrote: "Pam's Challenge

For now, I am just going to list the books.

That's fine. Keep it simple, and just read!

message 22: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Okay...I need a list to get an idea of what is left. The bold black entries I've read in the past and the green entries I've read during the time frame. I'm bummed because I read Frankenstein and Tom Sawyer 1 week before the start date (Huck Finn was read on the 26, but is not on the list...sigh). I have @ 30 left to go. I already have Pillars of the Earth coming up. I will probably knock out the Jack London soon.
1984-George Orwell
A Confederacy of Dunces-John Kennedy Toole
A Prayer for Owen Meany-John Irving
A Separate Peace-John Knowles
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn-Betty Smith
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer-Mark Twain

The Alcemist-Paulo Coelho
Alex Cross Mystteries (Series)-James Patterson
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland-Lewis Carroll

Americanah-Chimamanda Nogzi Adichie
And Then There Were None-Agatha Christie
Anne of Green Gables-Lucy Maud Montgomery

Another Country-James Baldwin
Atlas Shrugged-Ayn Rand
Beloved-Toni Morrison

Bless Me, Ultima-Rudolfo Anaya
The Book Thief-Markus Zusak
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao-Junot Diaz

The Call of the Wild-Jack London
Catch 22-Joseph Heller
The Catcher in the Rye-J.D. Salinger
Charlotte's Web-E.B. White
The Chronicles of Narnia (Series)-C.S. Lewis
The Clan of the Cave Bear-Jean M. Auel

The Coldest Winter Ever-Sister Souljah
The Color Purple-Alice Walker
The Count of Monte Cristo-Alexandre Dumas
Crime and Punishment-Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Tie-Mark Haddon
The Da Vinci Code-Dan Brown
Don Quixote-Miguel de Cervantes

Dona Barbara-Romulo Gallegos
Dune-Frank Herbert
Fifty Shades of Grey (Series)-E.L. James
Flowers in the Attic-V.C. Andrews
Foundation (Series)-Isaac Asimov
Frankenstein-Mary Shelley
Game of Thrones (Series)-George R.R. Martin

Ghost-Jason Reynolds
Gilead-Marilynne Robinson
The Giver-Lois Lowery
The Godfather-Mario Puzo
Gone Girl-Gillian Flynn
Gone with the Wind-Margaret Mitchell

The Grapes of Wrath-John Steinbeck
Great Expectations-Charles Dickens
The Great Gatsby-F. Scott Fitzgerald
Gulliver's Travels-Jonathan Swift
The Handmaid's Tale-Margaret Atwood
Harry Potter (Series)-J.K. Rowling

Hatcher (Series)-Gary Paulsen
Heart of Darkness-Joseph Conrad
The Help-Kathryn Stockett
The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy-Douglas Adams
The Hunger Games (Series)-Suzanne Collins
The Hunt for Red October-Tom Clancy

The Intuituionist-Colson Whitehead
Invisible Man-Ralph Ellison
Jane Eyer-Charlotte Bronte
The Joy Luck Club-Amy Tan

Jurassic Park-Michael Crichton
Left Behind (Series)-Ti LaHaye/Jerry B. Jenkins
The Little Prince-Antoine de Saint-Exurpery
Little Women-Louisa may Alcott
Lonesome Dove-Larry McMurtry
Looking for Alaska-John Green
The Lord of the Rings (Series)-J.R.R. Tolkien
The Lovely Bones-Alice Sebold
The Martian-Andy Weir
Memoirs of a Geisha-Arthur Golden

Mind Invaders-Dave Hunt
Moby-Dick-Herman Melville
The Notebook-Nicholas Sparks
One Hundred Years of Solitude-Gaberiel Garcia Marquez
Outlander (Series)-Diana Gabaldon
The Outsiders-S.E. Hinton
The Picture of Dorian Gray-Oscar Wilde

The Pilgrims Progress-John Bunyan
The Pillars of the Earth-Ken Follett
Pride and Prejudice-Jane Austen
Ready Player One-Ernest Cline
Rebecca-Daphne du Maurier

The Shack-William Paul Young
Siddhartha-Hermann Hesse
The Sirens of Titan-Kurt Vonnegut
The Stand-Stephen King
The Sun Also Rises-Ernest Hemingway

Swan Song-Robert R. McCammon
Tales of The City (Series)-Armistead Maupin
Their Eyes Were Watching God-Zora Neale Hurston
Things Fall Apart-Chinua Achebe

This Present Darkness-Frank E. Peretti
To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee
The Twilight Saga (Series)-Stephenie Meyer
War and Peace-Leo Tolstoy
Watchers-Dean Koontz

The Wheel of Time (Series)-Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
Where the Red Fern Grows-Wilson Rawls
White Teeth-Zadie Smith

Wuthering Heights-Emily Brontë

message 23: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 03, 2018 12:22AM) (new)

Wow it's Labor Day already! I hope you've had as much fun as I have reading GAR books this summer. The Goal was to read at least 5 GAR books from May 22 to the end of summer. It's still hot here, so take one more week to finish up and tally your books. Deadline Sept 10 midnight (PST), just in time for the PBS show on Sept 11.

TWO AWARDS -

1) 5 book challenge. If you read at least 5 GAR books during this period, list your books here. Include the date read and a rating for each one. One of you will be selected at random to win a prize.

2) TGAR Summer R.E.A.D. & V.O.T.E. Challenge
This one is a lot more complicated (sorry about that), and involves bonus points for extra variety, diversity, voting and promotion activity. The person with the most votes will receive the Prize and honors. (If several people are close, I'll select at random.) If you want to go for this one, include a brief summary of which books qualify for the bonus points, and estimate your points. (See the notes above.)

message 24: by Sue (last edited Sep 10, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments My list
Read after PBS series started

Five star reads (in no particular order)

1.) Their Eyes Were Watching God read 6/27/18 264 pp +10 - applicable letters R,A,D,O,T
2.) The Sun Also Rises read 6/21/18 320 pp+10 applicable letters: R,A,
3.) A Prayer for Owen Meany read 6/9/18 637 pp+10 Applicable letters R,D,O,T
4.) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland read 7/5/18 pp +10 Applicable letters: R, A,D,O
5.) Lonesome Doveread 7/31/18 945pp +20 Applicable letters R,O
6. The Count of Monte Cristo read 9/10/18 1276 pp +20 Applicable letters, R,A,O,E

Four star reads ( in no particular order)

7.) The Call of the Wild read 6/13/18 172 pp +10 applicable letters: R,A,O
8.) The Sirens of Titan read 6/24/18 326 pp +10 applicable letters: R,A,O,T
9.) Siddartha read 7/10/18 143 pp +10 Applicable letters R,A,D,E
10) Gilead read read 7/27/18 247 pp +10 applicable letters, R,D,O
11) Where the Red Fern Grows read 9/9/18 304 pp +10 Applicable letters, R,A,D

Three star reads (in no particular order)

12) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy read 7/3/18 216 pp +10 Appicable letters: R,O,T
13) Beloved read 8/10/18 324 pp +10 R,D,O

two star reads (in no particular order)

14) The Pilgrim's Progress read 6/16/18 324 pp +10 R,A,D,O,
15) Things Fall Apart read 6/20/18 209 pp +10 R,A,D,E

Total 15 -170 points (2 books over 900 pages)

message 25: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (last edited Sep 09, 2018 05:09PM) (new)

Sue wrote: "My list
Read after PBS series started

Five star reads (in no particular order)

1.) Their Eyes Were Watching God
2.) The Sun Also Rises
3.) [book:A Prayer for Ow..."

What did you think of Pilgrim's Progress? I've heard mixed reactions about it. I see you've rated it a 2.

message 26: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) Game of thrones finished 8/23 + 10
Swan song finished 7/15 +20
1984 finished 7/15 +10
Watchers finished 7/6 +10
FIfty shades of grey finished 7/3 +10
Eclipse finished 6/29 +10
HUnger games finished 6/24 +10
The giver finished 6/18 +10
Along came a spider finished 6/15 +10
Rebecca finished 6/13 +10
The stand finished 6/9 +20

R +5 (read 11 books) or is it +70 for 6 extra books including swan song

E +10
I talk about the GAR with people at work and church, on facebook and goodreads, in my family as well as attend GAR events at the library. +5 bonus points as I also have a library pen pal and submitted some photos to the GAR

A +5
Rebecca published in 1938
1984 published in 1949

D +5
50 shades of grey - bdsm subculture

V +5 at least
I vote by text several days a week

0 +5
I really wanted to quit 1984 because it was so political but I stuck with it.

T +10
I discuss my books with people in person and also on facebook and joined several goodreads groups specifically for discussing the above mentioned books.

message 27: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) I’m about to
Full this out, I’ve read 10 books off the gar list between 5/22 and 9/3. Do I get extra 10-20 points per book?

message 28: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Atlanta wrote: "I’m about to
Full this out, I’ve read 10 books off the gar list between 5/22 and 9/3. Do I get extra 10-20 points per book?"

Yes, every book gets points, including the first 5.

message 29: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) Ok , I posted my entry

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments Hi J. I gave Pilgrims Progress 2.5 stars. I'm a Christian but didn't care the least bit for the writing. I found it to be too heavy handed and unimaginative for my taste.

I think some Christians could find value in it. I rounded up to 3 in my official rating but rounded down here. I hate to down rate something that others may find spiritually rewarding. I do know people who liked it.

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane I've read 8 GAR books since the series started. Many as part of the GAR group reads. Thanks for organizing this group to motivate us!

5 stars:
Lonesome Dove
The Book Thief
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

4 stars:
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Looking for Alaska

3 stars:
The Alchemist
The Little Prince

1 star:
1984 (my only GAR re-read - thought I might like it better now - but nope - just as bad as it was in Junior High!)

I'm currently reading War and Peace - in progress rating would be a 3 so far. Hopefully my rating goes higher as I get further into it...

message 32: by Sue (last edited Sep 10, 2018 06:39PM) (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments My Try at the points system (it was hard!):

My Books and dates read are in an earlier post:

Read: 170 points (15 books at 10pts and 2 with 10 extra) I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add an additional 5 points for each book in addition to the 10 and 20 points because Atlanta's calculations and Nancy's answer confused me.
Encourage: 10 points - I've talked about and shared this just about everywhere and to everyone I know and strangers. I added in a challenge thread in another group that allows us to create our own threads and other people copied my list, I've talked with all my friend's neighbors and coworkers about it. Since I carry a book or my Kindle everywhere strangers often ask me what I'm reading and I bring it up to then, also at the COSTCO book section I've brought it up and at Barns and Noble. I've posted on FB & Twitter and I've sent specific recommendations to friends and encouraged them to vote (besides the general recommends).
Age: 10 points (5 points for many books before my birth and 3 more than 100 years old for the extra 5
Diversity: 10 points
Race: Their Eyes Were Watching God, Beloved
Religion: Where the Red Fern Grows, Pilgrims Progress, Sidartha,
Gilead
Aging; Gilead
Vote: 10 points I've voted daily on at least one forum and multiple times on each and have encouraged friends and strangers to vote on all the different forums
Outside comfort zone 10 points
Hitchikers Guide and Sirens of Titan - don't normally choose
Sci-Fi
Lonesome Dove - Western
The Count of Monte Cristo - Revenge
Beloved - Supernatural
Sun Also Rises - Lost Generation
Call of the Wild, Where the Red Fern Grows - YA
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Childrens
Together: 10 points Did group reads here and in other groups with multiple books and read Their Eyes Were Watching God with a 3-D friend
Expand: 10 points Read 3 from England (Hitchhiker's Guide, Alice, Pilgrim's Progress). Read 1 from India (Siddartha) Read 1 from Africa (Things Fall Apart). Read 1 From France that was originally written in French (The Count of Monte Cristo)

Total Points: 240 (assumes no more than 10 per category and no 5 extra points for each book read over 5)

I know this is nowhere good enough to win, but I'm extremely happy with my progress. I only planned on reading 10 by this time because I had 4 other challenges going before this started and added another besides this (for a total of 6!). That's a lot for me and I'm never doing it again! From now on only 2 challenges for me : /

message 33: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Sue wrote: "My Try at the points system (it was hard!):

Read: 170 points (15 books at 10pts and 2 with 10 extra) I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add an add..."

You did great! I got sick during my trip so it may take me a few days to review all the posts and total the points. Sorry I made it so complicated. I may have misread Atlanta's question. Each book gets points, but not necessarily "extra" points.

message 34: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments NancyJ wrote: "Sue wrote: "My Try at the points system (it was hard!):

Read: 170 points (15 books at 10pts and 2 with 10 extra) I'm not sure if I'm supposed to..."

Thanks Nancy! I thought the way I did it was right. The Read is the one category where you get 10 or 20 per book. Nothing to do with 5 points there.

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments Diane wrote: "I've read 8 GAR books since the series started. Many as part of the GAR group reads. Thanks for organizing this group to motivate us!

5 stars:
Lonesome Dove
The Book Thief
A Tree Grows in Brook..."

When I first read the Little Prince, I gave it 3 stars too Diane. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Then I saw the Original Netflix Movie of it and was wow'd. They had a modern day story interspersed but their interpretation made me realize why so many love it. I highly recommend that film to anyone who loves or even just thought Little Prince was okay. I wish I had a little kid to watch it with too!

message 36: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Sue wrote: "Hi J. I gave Pilgrims Progress 2.5 stars. I'm a Christian but didn't care the least bit for the writing. I found it to be too heavy handed and unimaginative for my taste.

I think some Christians c..."

Thank you, Sue! Once I read it, we can compare notes!

message 37: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Atlanta wrote: "Game of thrones finished 8/23 + 10
Swan song finished 7/15 +20
1984 finished 7/15 +10
Watchers finished 7/6 +10
FIfty shades of grey finished 7/3 +10
Eclipse finished 6/29 +10
HUnger games finished..."

R = 11 books *10= 110. Plus I think 2 were extra long +20 = 130
The rest = 35-40, So total = 165-170 (+maybe more for extra long books)
Awesome!!!

message 38: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Sue wrote: "My Try at the points system (it was hard!):

Read: 170 points (15 books at 10pts and 2 with 10 extra) I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add an add..."

--------
240 points Awesome!!!!

message 39: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 24, 2018 12:54PM) (new)

Awesome job everyone! Please let me know if I missed anyone.

READ VOTE CHALLENGE
I reviewed the calculations, and here are the final points for the challenge:

J = 500+ points = WINNER
Sue = 240 points
Atlanta = 170 points
Nancy = 150 points
Diane = estimate 90
Tammy
Pam

5 BOOKS Challenge
Here are the people who read at least 5 books and posted on this thread. Let me know if I missed anyone. I already got a number from the random number generator, but I'll rerun it if needed.

J Y
Sue Y = WINNER!
Atlanta Y
Nancy Y
Paula Y
Diane Y
Tammy Y
Pam Y
Ella Y