Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > July Group Read nominations

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas, Moderator (last edited Jun 21, 2018 12:22PM) (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1620 comments Mod
The time is here for July group read nominations. This month's group read will be for woman authors with a woman crime solver(doesn't have to be police).
I am listing some authors who fit this category by country
US
Linda Castillo Ohio small town Amish
Police chief Kate Burkholder
Dana Stabenow Kate Shugak, native Alaskan PI
Sue Henry Alaskan dogsled racer Jessie Arnold
Sue Grafton California PI
Margaret Maron 2 series, both woman crime solvers
Nevada Barr US park ranger
Julie Smith 2 series, NOPD and California lawyer
Sara Paretsky Chicago PD
Tricia Fields Texas small town police chief
Lisa Scottoline Rosato/Dinunzio series
Leslie Wolfe FBI Tess Winnett
Janet Evanovich Bail bond agent
Canada
R J Harlick amateur interested in Native culture
Barbara Fradkin amateur
Finland
Leena Lehtolainen Helsinki PD
Netherlands
Jennifer Alderson book 2 Zelda Richardson, art mystery
Australia
Kerry Greenwood Melbourne PI
UK
Anne Cleeves Vera Stanhope
Susie Steiner DS Manon
Liz and I have read and enjoyed all the US authors. I have read at least 1 book by the rest. My GR profile is public and you can find reviews for most authors. I have looked at the bookshelf and there are no books by any of the above authors, or any that would fit into this category. There are probably other authors out there.

Some caveats:
Authors cannot self nominate.
No Irish authors,since quarterly read is Irish authors only.
Nominations will close on Monday, June 25, midnight US EDST.
Books must be seconded by a separate person. You can only nominate or second, not both.
If the book that you nominate wins the poll, then you are the group read moderator.

Happy reading
Tom

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments My very favorite genre. I am stoked. By the way, Anne Cleeves, also writes the excellent Shetland Islands series, a favorite of mine.

Bookworm with Kids Brilliant theme, Thomas! I love this. I am going through my books to decide what to nominate.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I think i will nominate the first book in my current favorite series, The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths.

message 5: by Thomas, Moderator (new)

Thanks Susan and Bookworm.

message 6: by Thomas, Moderator (new)

Susan wrote: "My very favorite genre. I am stoked. By the way, Anne Cleeves, also writes the excellent Shetland Islands series, a favorite of mine."

Shetland series on my tbr list.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1143 comments I will second The Crossing Places.

Bookworm with Kids I will nominate A Darker Domain by Val McDermid. It is the second in the Karen Pirie series but I believe that she isn't in the first book much so it wouldn't count as a woman crime solver. I would have liked to nominate one of her Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series but I think they don't fit the requirement as much.

Bookworm with Kids Thomas, you could add Patricia Cornwell for her Kay Scarpetta series, Tess Gerritsen for the Rizzoli and Iles books, Karin Slaughter for her books with the doctor and the policewoman in them (I can't remeber the characters' names!) - Blindsighted is the first in the series.
I kept coming up with nominations and then thinking, no she's Irish so I can't use her! Authors like Jane Casey, Sam Blake and Sinéad Crowley all have women crime solvers.
Crime, it seems, is women's business!

Bookworm with Kids By the way, I hadn't heard of many of the authors on your list, Thomas so I will be referring back to it for the next while to get lots of ideas for my TBR - as if it needed to get any longer!!

message 11: by Thomas, Moderator (new)

Bookworm with Kids wrote: "Thomas, you could add Patricia Cornwell for her Kay Scarpetta series, Tess Gerritsen for the Rizzoli and Iles books, Karin Slaughter for her books wit..."

I knew about those 3 authors, but thought that I should not go overboard with US authors. Liz and I have enjoyed Gerritsen and Cornwell. I purposely put some lesser known authors in.

message 12: by Thomas, Moderator (new)

Bookworm with Kids wrote: "By the way, I hadn't heard of many of the authors on your list, Thomas so I will be referring back to it for the next while to get lots of ideas for my TBR - as if it needed to get any longer!!"

:)

message 13: by Barbara (last edited Jun 21, 2018 03:15PM) (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Both the nominated books are good ones but I've already read them.
I am about to try a new author Kristen Lepionka who fits the criteria and The Last Place You Look . It's the first in the series. It's my nomination.

message 14: by Thomas, Moderator (new)

Bookworm with Kids wrote: "Thomas, you could add Patricia Cornwell for her Kay Scarpetta series, Tess Gerritsen for the Rizzoli and Iles books, Karin Slaughter for her books wit..."

I added those 3 Irish authors to my tbr list.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Bookworm with Kids wrote: "Thomas, you could add Patricia Cornwell for her Kay Scarpetta series, Tess Gerritsen for the Rizzoli and Iles books, Karin Slaughter for her books wit..."

And we can't forget Patricia Gibney. I had never heard of Sam Blake . Thanks for the tip.

message 16: by Thomas, Moderator (new)

My tbr list is now over 2,000 books. You folks are a bad influence.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments :)

message 18: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 151 comments Great idea! I have the latest Nevada Barr here to read but it may not suit everyone as it is a wilderness adventure.
Boar Island
Boar Island (Anna Pigeon, #19) by Nevada Barr

message 19: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 151 comments Susan wrote: "Bookworm with Kids wrote: "I had never heard of Sam Blake "

She is Vanessa O'Loughlin, works hard to promote Irish writers.

message 20: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 152 comments I'll second The Last Place You Look.

message 21: by Thomas, Moderator (new)

Nominated and seconded:
The Crossing Places
The Last Place You Look

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate Maisie Dobbs.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments What a great choice, Sara.

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I will second Maisie Dobbs

message 25: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 1 comments M.P Wright JT Ellington series

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.