SoHo Sins SoHo Sins question

Best Hard Case Crime books
Charles Ardai Charles Jun 21, 2018 08:37AM
In a separate post about the Crichton/Lange books, I made the assertion (possibly controversial) that SOHO SINS by Richard Vine is one of the dozen best books we've ever published. It dawned on me that I've never asked anyone else for their ranking. For those of you who have read a large selection of our books, I'm curious which ones you'd call out as the very best, I have my own opinions, of course, and it's all a matter of taste -- some people love private eyes, some hate them but love revenge stories, etc. -- but I'd still be curious to know, if you had to tell a friend who'd never read any of our books to start with one, which one would you pick as the very best (or the top 5, or whatever)? I'll be glad to share my own list later, but I'll hold it back for now, so as not to influence anyone else.

This is a tough one. I'll probably end up changing my mind later, but for now I'd say

1. Touch of Death by Charles Williams.
2. Turn on the Heat by Erle Stanley Gardner
3. The Cocktail Waitress by James M. Cain
4. Grifter's Game by Lawrence block
5. A tie between Cut Me In by Ed McBain and Quarry in Black by M. A. Collins.

That being said, I haven't read Brainquake, Fright or The Wounded and The Slain and I really need to get on those.

A bottom five would probably be:

1. Borderline by Lawrence Block
2. Joyland by Stephen King
3. Catch and Release by Block
4. The Peddler by Richard Prather (Not a bad book, but one with a lot of squandered potential)
5. ...Quarry, maybe? I like the Quarry series, but my introduction to the series was a good bit of the latter-day Quarry novels, so I had high hopes for the original and it just doesn't quite live up to the newer ones.

M 25x33
Charles Ardai Ah, there you go! I just mentioned A TOUCH OF DEATH as a consistent favorite of all readers in response to your comment on another topic...
Jun 22, 2018 02:31AM · flag
M 25x33
Charles Ardai BTW, I love McBain, and I love the Quarry books, but I wouldn't personally have picked CUT ME IN as our best McBain or QUARRY IN THE BLACK as our best ...more
Jun 22, 2018 02:35AM · flag