Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > August 2014 Non-Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm not listening to a non-romance right now. What about you?

message 2: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments Our "dinner book" right now is Me of Little Faith by Lewis Black, who also narrates. It will probably take most of the month because we listen to only a chapter each evening.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6) by Jeaniene Frost - overall, I've enjoyed Tavia Gilbert's narration of this series but I'm still not a fan of Bones's Cockney accent. Really looking forward to Vlad's book though - love his accent!

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4107 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Finished One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6) by Jeaniene Frost - overall, I've enjoyed Tavia Gilbert's narration of this series but I'm still not a fan of Bones's Cockney accent. Really looking forward to Vlad's..."

I hate her Bones interpretation!

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieroop) I just finished Big Little Liesit was awesome! and am now reading What Alice Forgot this is the third book from tis author and have enjoyed them all. great character development and real people with real emotions. I highly recommend this author !

message 6: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Jonetta wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Finished One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6) by Jeaniene Frost - overall, I've enjoyed Tavia Gilbert's narration of this series but I'm still not a fan of Bones's Cockney accent. Really looking fo..."

OTOH I loved her Bones interpretation! I listened to the entire series rather than read it so I could listen to Bones. I have wondered if people who read the books first and then listened to the audiobooks are the ones who hate Bone's voice because it is not what they had envisioned? I started out listening to the series so had no preconceived notions in my head. Tavia Gilbert makes his voice very distinctive, so I understand why people are divided in their sentiments!

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

JaneA wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Finished One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6) by Jeaniene Frost - overall, I've enjoyed Tavia Gilbert's narration of this series but I'm still not a fan of Bones's Cockney accent. R..."

I'm not a fan of a Cockney accent and that's my reason. I had a chance to sample the audio before I got invested in the series and knew I'd dislike Bones on that basis alone. I don't have a distinctive voice in my head for Bones so that wasn't my issue. He just isn't sexy to me with that accent.

Hope this helps you better understand my point of view.

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

I'm listening to The Kill Artist by Daniel Silva, narrated by George Guidall. I've got mixed feelings about his performance so far. Everyone sounds the same and too mature. But, his accent puts me in the setting.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) JaneA wrote: " have wondered if people who read the books first and then listened to the audiobooks are the ones who hate Bone's voice because it is not what they had envisioned?"

Like Jonetta, I did not have a distinctive voice in my head for Bones because I've only ever listened - I can't read books in the first person.

Unfortunately, his Cockney accent just sounds ridiculous to me. I keep thinking of the father in My Fair Lady and this is NOT sexy!

message 10: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Lauren & Jonetta, Thanks for your feedback, I've been curious about that!

message 11: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Lauren wrote: "Finished One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6) by Jeaniene Frost - overall, I've enjoyed Tavia Gilbert's narration of this series but I'm still not a fan of Bones's Cockney accent. Really looking forward to Vlad's..."

Ohhh - you have hit on one of the great divides in romance audio! I absolutely love, love Tavia Gilbert's portrayal of Bones! I have written about it more than once. I entered Halfway to the Grave with great trepidation after hearing the complaints but after a half hour, I was totally won over. I just wait to hear his next words!

Love Vlad too but not as much as Bones. :)

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "I entered Halfway to the Grave with great trepidation after hearing the complaints but after a half hour, I was totally won over."

Lol! After half an hour, I decided to just ignore his accent and get on with it because the rest of the characters voices were great.

Ah, now Vlad makes me swoon *sigh*

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

I'm having to throw in the towel and read the last book:)

message 14: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Ohhh - you have hit on one of the great divides in romance audio! I absolutely love, love Tavia Gilbert's portrayal of Bones!."

Me too!! But I can understand why it's controversial! Fortunately, it's a big win for me.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1) by Karen White and enjoyed it immensely. The narrative style is very similar to The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda Stevens .

Although it took me a minute or two to get used to Aimee Bruneau's Southern accent, I ended up really enjoying her narration. She has this tendency of speeding up her speech during the action scenes, which really ratchets up the tension a notch and adds another element of excitement to the scene.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i haven't read Amanda Stevens, but I did like the Karen White book that I read

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Dee wrote: "i haven't read Amanda Stevens, but I did like the Karen White book that I read"

The Graveyard Queen series is fantastic. I highly recommend it and Khristine Hvam is a go to narrator for me.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments pretty sure its somewhere in Mt TBL (to-be-listened) - now that I don't have my long commute, I don't listen as much as I used to

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Dee wrote: "pretty sure its somewhere in Mt TBL (to-be-listened) - now that I don't have my long commute, I don't listen as much as I used to"

Its the summer break here, so I don't have my commute either but the dog is getting lots of exercise so that I can listen, lol!

message 20: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments I started Big Bad Bite by Jessie Lane. I got through chapter 7 of 18, then just had to turn it off.
I hate Chandra Skyye's narration. The narrative portion is okay, but her portrayal of the characters not so much. Her pauses, where I assume commas are in the written text are, are way too long. And she has some of the characters pausing mid-phrase. You know how William Shatner delivered his lines as Captain Kirk in the Star Trek TV series? Yeah, worse than that. I guess it's her way of differentiating one male from another because, other than accent, there's not much difference.

I'm not in the mood for listening, romantic or otherwise, right now, so I'm going to try to catch up on my reviews. Have a good weekend, y'all!

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia, #3) by Deanna Raybourn - I'm really enjoying the misadventures of Lady Julia Grey and the enigmatic Nicholas Brisbane.

This installment takes place on the moors of Yorkshire and Ellen Archer does a fantastic job conveying the cold, desolate and creepy setting. Looking forward to seeing how she handles the next book, which takes place in India.

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1962 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "i haven't read Amanda Stevens, but I did like the Karen White book that I read"

Get to the Graveyard Queen, Dee! Freaking fantastic. I think I gave each book 5 stars. Loved it.

I'm starting Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman which a bit different for me.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i know - you keep recommending! lol!

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

Samantha wrote: "Dee wrote: "i haven't read Amanda Stevens, but I did like the Karen White book that I read"

Get to the Graveyard Queen, Dee! Freaking fantastic. I think I gave each book 5 stars. Loved it.

I'm st..."

Ditto!

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1962 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "i know - you keep recommending! lol!"

I know but you are not biting. Entertain me! Please! LOL.

Thanks for the re-enforcement, Jonetta :)

message 26: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments Still working on Me of Little Faith by Lewis Black with my boyfriend at dinner every evening.

Does it count as non-fiction if the book is a memoir? :)

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments finished up Magic Slays last night - probably my favorite in the series so far

scrolling through the ipod and the various audiobooks (non-audible) on there - I started Messenger of Truth - its been sitting there for a while

message 28: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Recently finished Trapped, by Kevin Hearne, narrated by Luke Daniels and it was a fun treat after some more serious listens.

message 29: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments I'm listening to Redshirts by John Scalzi, narrated by Wil Wheaton. I don't know that I'll be able to finish it, due to narration. The GR rating is average, and Audible's rating is 4 stars. I find that Wheaton's performance really isn't so much a performance as a straight reading. He doesn't differentiate characters at all.
Do any of you find narration by people better known for television and movie acting to be less effective in audio? I haven't listened to many narrated by well-known actors (I don't see many stage productions, so I can't speak to that), but those I have, haven't impressed me at all. I wonder if they get better than average ratings for audio productions simply because people are familiar with the voices.

message 30: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Aug 21, 2014 12:01PM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kym wrote: "I'm listening to Redshirts by John Scalzi, narrated by Wil Wheaton. I don't know that I'll be able to finish it, due to narration. The GR rating is average, and Audible's rating is 4 stars. I find ..."

There's a different type of training required for audiobook narration. Just because one is a good actor doesn't mean he/she will make a good audiobook narrator as you have discovered.

I think Colin Firth has such a wonderful voice - deep and just right so I immediately purchased The End of the Affair when I discovered he was the narrator. I didn't make it far as I could hear his every intake of breath. I was so distracted that I can't even recall if he did a good job differentiating characters! I quit about a half hour in.

message 31: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments It's funny that the opposite is true. I wasn't even thinking about watching Orange is the New Black until I found out that Barbara Rosenblat had a guest appearance for a few episodes. :)

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead - The story is good albeit a little on the predictable side. I'm still on the fence about Georgina's character as she makes some very questionable choices.

Elisabeth Rodgers narration suits Georgina's friendly girl next-door personality. Her male voices are good but could have been better distinguished.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Lauren - I found that series got better as it went - I remember sitting in my car for a good 30 minutes one day when book 6 came out because I had to hear what happened - I wasnt' going to get through the work day not knowing

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Dee wrote: "Lauren - I found that series got better as it went - I remember sitting in my car for a good 30 minutes one day when book 6 came out because I had to hear what happened - I wasnt' going to get thro..."

Thanks Dee. I am going to continue with it because I love all of the angels versus demons mythology and Georgina has potential as a heroine.

message 35: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments I'm listening to George Carlin Reads to You. I got it on the sale Audible is having now through 8/31. I got 6 books for under $23.00! How cool is that? Now I have even more books I haven't listened to yet.

message 36: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments Lauren wrote: "Finished Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead - The story is good albeit a little on the predictable side. I'm still on the fence about Georgina's character as she makes some very questionable choices..."

why is this considered non-romance? it's a romance (PNR) but it has love

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Finished Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead - The story is good albeit a little on the predictable side. I'm still on the fence about Georgina's character as she makes some very quest..."

For me this series is UF not PNR. It doesn't have an HEA (as of the end of the first book), which I see as a prerequisite for romance.

message 38: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments Lauren wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Finished Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead - The story is good albeit a little on the predictable side. I'm still on the fence about Georgina's ch..."

that's interesting because 458 users shelved that book as romance. Even if it's UF, it has an HFN.
to each her own I guess.

About to start The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1) by Meredith McCardle . I am not a big SciFi person, so let's see what the fuss is about

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "that's interesting because 458 users shelved that book as romance. Even if it's UF, it has an HFN.
to each her own I guess."

And 992 shelved it as UF. I've noticed that many readers see UF and PNR as interchangeable while others have a personal set of criteria to distinguish the two. For me PNR is when there is a different couple in each book, each book ends with an HEA and they are written in the 3rd person. In contrast, UF is the same couple in every book, there is usually a HFN and they are in the 1st person.

message 40: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments Lauren wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "that's interesting because 458 users shelved that book as romance. Even if it's UF, it has an HFN.
to each her own I guess."

And 992 shelved it as UF. I've noti..."

I am not disagreeing that it's a UF because the series is UF, but I guess I am in the group of readers who consider books a "romance" even if it is a UF. It's all about Personal preferences because some shelved it as erotica--I don't understand that one, but whatever (LOL).

Either way, I read Georgina Kincard series a book a month concurrently with Vampire Academy, her YA series. so I knocked them both out at the same time.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Personal preferences because some shelved it as erotica--I don't understand that one, but whatever (LOL)."

Me either, lol! Maybe its because she is a succubus :0)

I haven't read her VA series (not a fan of YA) but I did read Dark Swan. I liked the story but not the heroine.

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2) by Charlaine Harris - I'm really enjoying this series and Lily is such a great character.
Julia Gibson’s narration makes for pleasant listening and she does a good job with the male and female voices. There are still some gaps between sections (albeit shorter than in book 1) and Gibson does swallow audibly one or two times, which is distracting.

message 43: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments I really recommend The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1) by Meredith McCardle by Meredith McCardle. It was good YA.

message 44: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm starting a new thread of September non-romance listening and locking this one. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 45: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 158 comments It took me 50 years to actually read or listen to MARY POPPINS by P.L. Travers. If any wants a back story should see SAVING MR. BANKS. Yes, it's sweetened version by Disney, but you get the gist of the back story of where the idea of MARY POPPINS came from. I liked it.