Play Book Tag discussion

Thirty-Three Teeth (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #2)
This topic is about Thirty-Three Teeth
June 2018: Magical Realism > Thirty-Three Teeth - Colin Cotterill (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1472 comments Thirty-Three Teeth - Colin Cotterill

4 stars

I am really enjoying this series on audiobook. In this second book Dr. Siri Paiboun and his colleagues are faced with some strange deaths. In an effort to figure out what has been killing people, Dr. Siri has to learn more about himself and his gifts that were revealed in the first book of the series. While the mystery is interesting, I read these books more for the characters and settings. I learn a lot about the history of communism in Asia and in Laos in particular. Dr. Siri is a great character and the supporting characters are complex and interesting as well. I will definitely continue the series.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments Sounds good. I'm always looking for a good mystery series to listen to. But I'm queasy about gore and violence when I listen. How graphic is this series?

Cora (corareading) | 1472 comments He is a coroner, so there is a quite bit of description of corpses of murder victims, but not a lot of description of the actual killing (with a couple exceptions) since usually the body enters the story already dead. There is much more emphasis on the investigation and the culture/politics of investigating the crime. So it depends on exactly where you draw the line, if the description of dead bodies that were violently killed or in the midst of decay would bother you, it might not be for you, but at the same time it did not stand out as particularly gorey or graphic to my sensibilities.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I agree with Cora, didn't stand out as particularly gory. I love this series! I don't believe I had access to the audio but I'm sure I would have enjoyed that. I've read several in the series but haven't finished it yet. I like to space series books out a bit.

message 5: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments I'll give it a try, I can always switch to the printed version if the audio doesn't work for me. Thanks, ladies!