The Readers discussion

Episode Discussions > Ep 186: The Readers Summer Read 2018

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Jun 21, 2018 07:24AM) (new)

Carol Hi, I had a question about one of Simon's recommendations. In recommending Patrick Gales' book, "A Place Called Winter," (which I did immediately purchase), he also mentioned another book which I couldn't understand or find. It sounded like "A Round Story." I looked for Around, Ground and A Round and couldn't find it. Does anyone know to which one he was referring?

message 2: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments Carol wrote: "Hi, I had a question about one of Simon's recommendations. In recommending Patrick Gales' book, "A Place Called Winter," (which I did immediately purchase), he also mentioned another book which I c..."

I think it was Sugar Money by Jane Harris? Or The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Thanks Ruthiella, I grabbed that one too.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Hi! I want to suggest The Only Story by Julian Barnes for Thomas’s 2018 ACOB Read.

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 7 comments I suggest The Great Believers for Thomas' 2018 book to read.

message 6: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Mcbratney | 1 comments You should do a podcast right now

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 64 comments I think Thomas should read Tin Man by Sarah Winman for his 2018 read. It came out in 2017 in the UK but not in the USA!

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 27 comments I was going to suggest Tin Man but figured it wouldn’t qualify as a 2018 release. For some reason Winman’s writing reminds me of May Sarton’s but I can’t put my finger on why.

message 9: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Jul 05, 2018 08:13AM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 64 comments Janet wrote: "I was going to suggest Tin Man but figured it wouldn’t qualify as a 2018 release. For some reason Winman’s writing reminds me of May Sarton’s but I can’t put my finger on why."

Yes the writing is a bit... I guess one could say old-fashioned or timeless, depending on how you feel about it. And it's so much about the relationships and the feelings and the things that aren't said, more so than "things that happen." Maybe some of that?

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments I liked the first half of Tin Man but by the end felt more than a little disappointed.